All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Folks, even if he scored a point or two higher on his last test, don't you think he'd try to get another point higher to ensure his admittance? The smart thing to do would be to take it again and not be right on the admittance line. It's all about GPA and ACT score and there's not much he can do about his GPA anymore. None of us know what's going on except that he's probably close to that line.

Folks, even if he scored a point or two higher on his last test, don't you think he'd try to get another point higher to ensure his admittance? The smart thing to do would be to take it again and not be right on the admittance line. It's all about GPA and ACT score and there's not much he can do about his GPA anymore. None of us know what's going on except that he's probably close to that line.

Have to assume that he simply needs to qualify.

He actually may be able to still do a fair amount about his GPA. The GPA component of eligibility is calculated from 16 core classes taken during the 4 years of HS. If he is taking a significant number of core classes this year and his GPA in prior cores are bordeline and he were to perform extremely well the last semester of high school, his GPA in the core classes could improve enough to make the ACT requirement more attainable.

Ex: Lets say he took 11 cores his first 3 years and took 5 cores this year and has a 2.00 GPA (minimum allowed until 2016 by NCAA). If he were to get straight A's his final semester, this would increase his core GPA to 2.31. This would result in lowering his needed ACT score from 86 to 75- much more realistic.

He actually may be able to still do a fair amount about his GPA. The GPA component of eligibility is calculated from 16 core classes taken during the 4 years of HS. If he is taking a significant number of core classes this year and his GPA in prior cores are bordeline and he were to perform extremely well the last semester of high school, his GPA in the core classes could improve enough to make the ACT requirement more attainable.

Ex: Lets say he took 11 cores his first 3 years and took 5 cores this year and has a 2.00 GPA (minimum allowed until 2016 by NCAA). If he were to get straight A's his final semester, this would increase his core GPA to 2.31. This would result in lowering his needed ACT score from 86 to 75- much more realistic.

Thanks for the excellent explanation. As usual, we have way too many people here who know nothing about what actually is going on and/or how things work, jumping to all kinds of conclusions. Add to that the lack of patience what do you get? The GopherHole.

Raising it by 0.2 on a 4.0 scale in one semester is difficult and if i had to bet i would not think he would be able to accomplish that.

not many more bites at this apple.
Definitely not a good sign that he is still trying to get eligible at this point. Would be disappointing but won't be shocking if one of the next updates is about him heading to JC or prep school to get his academics in order but hopefully he can get the passing scores he needs and still get into school this fall.
Even if he doesn't pass on this ACT he would still have a third attempt in July. Also are you saying you expected him to become eligible by this time? The school year doesn't even end until June when his GPA would be final and he will have to go through clearing house and all of that. It will take some time and we shouldn't expect to know for sure what the deal is for a while.

You had me until this. How does one score a 75 on the ACT when a perfect score is 36?

The scores from all four sections have to add up to 75. In other words, their composite ACT score would have to be at least 18.75.

The scores from all four sections have to add up to 75. In other words, their composite ACT score would have to be at least 18.75.

How the heck is 18.75 not doable for everyone? My first try at the ACT I forgot I had it and was out late partying the night before. Took mine wicked hungover on a few hours of sleep and got a 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How the heck is 18.75 not doable for everyone? My first try at the ACT I forgot I had it and was out late partying the night before. Took mine wicked hungover on a few hours of sleep and got a 26.

What's your 40 time? Vertical?

Plenty of athletic types that aren't particularly bright and plenty of bright people barely coordinated enough to be able to chew gum.

Even if he doesn't pass on this ACT he would still have a third attempt in July. Also are you saying you expected him to become eligible by this time? The school year doesn't even end until June when his GPA would be final and he will have to go through clearing house and all of that. It will take some time and we shouldn't expect to know for sure what the deal is for a while.

Eligibility with most commits is not an issue so this is not the run of the mill situation. He certainly could get eligible in time but reports like the one cited in this thread are not a good sign for a player that already had some pretty significant eligibility concerns associated with him. There is still quite a bit of time between now and fall camp but certainly does not seem like a slam dunk that he will be ready to go in the fall.

I have no idea about specifics for Jeff Jones, but I can lay out a hypothetical situation as to why people would struggle to qualify.

Imagine going through most of your life without any sort of guidance or support academically. Many of the people around you, the people you love, have not gotten diplomas and don't encourage classroom effort. Kids might not be going to school regularly or put effort into learning on the days they do go. They miss a lot of basic skills required to take the exam. Yeah, teachers may be encouraging students while they are in the classroom, but to a kid, what do teachers know about life compared to friends and family? As a result, there has not been a chance to learn about a lot of background knowledge for the test. Another possible complication can arise as a lot of students from a difficult backgrounds are going through life with undiagnosed disorders making test taking difficult. Not disorders making a person "dumb" but instead things like ADHD, dyslexia, anxiety or whatever. These things could very much get in the way of doing well on an exam (especially one at that length). Add the pressure from everyone around you waiting to hear how you perform, it suddenly can become a daunting task. Congratulations on your hungover 26, but not everybody has had support and chances like many of us and it can be a difficult test for some.

Just a reminder, I do not know anything about the Jeff Jones situation. I just get annoyed when people don't consider that there are people out there from potentially tough backgrounds that make standardized tests unfair measurements of intelligence.

I have no idea about specifics for Jeff Jones, but I can lay out a hypothetical situation as to why people would struggle to qualify.

Imagine going through most of your life without any sort of guidance or support academically. Many of the people around you, the people you love, have not gotten diplomas and don't encourage classroom effort. Kids might not be going to school regularly or put effort into learning on the days they do go. They miss a lot of basic skills required to take the exam. Yeah, teachers may be encouraging students while they are in the classroom, but to a kid, what do teachers know about life compared to friends and family? As a result, there has not been a chance to learn about a lot of background knowledge for the test. Another possible complication can arise as a lot of students from a difficult backgrounds are going through life with undiagnosed disorders making test taking difficult. Not disorders making a person "dumb" but instead things like ADHD, dyslexia, anxiety or whatever. These things could very much get in the way of doing well on an exam (especially one at that length). Add the pressure from everyone around you waiting to hear how you perform, it suddenly can become a daunting task. Congratulations on your hungover 26, but not everybody has had support and chances like many of us and it can be a difficult test for some.

Just a reminder, I do not know anything about the Jeff Jones situation. I just get annoyed when people don't consider that there are people out there from potentially tough backgrounds that make standardized tests unfair measurements of intelligence.

Excellent post.

I guess that's a fair reminder. I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around that score. I'm really not that smart, but if I can get a hungover 26...but like you said there are all kinds of factors that can play into this.

That's a wicked cool story.

Some schools devote class time to preparing for the ACT. The students take practice exams, and learn the types of questions they will be asked on the ACT. So whole the particular questions they get on the real test will be unfamiliar, they will be used to answering those types of questions. There is a whole industry around test preparation.

Thanks. I guess I never heard an ACT score reported any other way than composite in these situations.

Your 26 is an example of what some see as holes in the standardized test process. Not all kids test the same. General knowledge and test prep are all great, but if a kid has ADd anxiety, etc, he can't achieve the same score as his hungover classmate no matter how well prepared he is. My son's experience with the ACT actually led us to have him tested for ADD, etc. we learned last month he has Tourette's. People with TS have attention deficit because of the interruptions and preoccupation with suppressing the interruptions. So you can imagine what happens on a timed standardized test which is designed to be difficult to complete, even for the highest-achieving student.

Your 26 is an example of what some see as holes in the standardized test process. Not all kids test the same. General knowledge and test prep are all great, but if a kid has ADd anxiety, etc, he can't achieve the same score as his hungover classmate no matter how well prepared he is. My son's experience with the ACT actually led us to have him tested for ADD, etc. we learned last month he has Tourette's. People with TS have attention deficit because of the interruptions and preoccupation with suppressing the interruptions. So you can imagine what happens on a timed standardized test which is designed to be difficult to complete, even for the highest-achieving student.

I stand corrected.

Yeah that makes sense. Aren't there any special accommodations for kids with learning disorders?

I was under the impression that accomodations can be made for taking the ACT.

Great post. Well said, all of it.

ACT is overrated. They need to look at the GPA more. So what if a kid gets 27 doesn't mean he is going to work hard. Kid from my high school got a 28 last year and has already dropped out of college. It's all about how hard you're willing to work. Now if a kid gets like a 14 or 15 that's different, but a 16 or 17 with a good GPA should be enough.

You can get more time for learning disorders…however you need documented proof that you have them. Do you think Jeff's dad was arranging visits to psychologists and doctors while he was in prison to see if Jeff had ADD or dyslexia? If he had gone to say…I'll pick on my h.s., Wayzata…probably yes. In addition, the latest studies are showing that a person's brain chemistry changes if they are raised in stressful environments (kind of like having PTSD) like many students are in the poor areas of our inner cities in the U.S. I have no idea what Jone's environment was like except that his dad was in prison and his grandparents seemed to have raised him. I agree with all who say you can't compare scores that students get from different socio-economic backgrounds.

Top Bottom