All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

That record has to belong to something about conference WINS and LOSSES.

;o)

I think you mean BIG TEN WINS!

Also, our speculation is pointless because the COACHING staff and this New Norwood calls THE shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many times can people say the same thing on one string? I don't know but I suspect we may break the record with this one.:horse:

How many stars does this thread have? Stars are what predict success on a message board!

Just listened to GI radio and have some scary news.

They said that a few of their sources have said that Jones is a ways a way from qualifying and that is why the bigger schools have elected to pass. He has some work to do and is obviously a risk but one that is well worth it! Of course these are just source but it does make sense. Hopefully he buckles down and studies his ass off. Or it may be the JC route for Jeff then we are stuck re-recruiting him in a year or two!

I think everyone realized that may be the case with nearly every school other than us cooling on him. Just gotta hope it works out. At least we have Berkeley Edwards and Cobb returning.

They said that a few of their sources have said that Jones is a ways a way from qualifying and that is why the bigger schools have elected to pass. He has some work to do and is obviously a risk but one that is well worth it! Of course these are just source but it does make sense. Hopefully he buckles down and studies his ass off. Or it may be the JC route for Jeff then we are stuck re-recruiting him in a year or two!

Wasn't there a quote from Jones recently where he himself said he may need to go the JC route? Bottom line for the U is that it is important to get his signature even if he ultimately does not end up qualifying. Would be a major buzz kill if he doesn't end up being eligible though. I know we have a contingent in here that is 100% convinced the eligibility thing is not a big deal but it would certainly explain a lot of things if it was in fact a longshot that he will be eligible next fall.

Wasn't there a quote from Jones recently where he himself said he may need to go the JC route? Bottom line for the U is that it is important to get his signature even if he ultimately does not end up qualifying. Would be a major buzz kill if he doesn't end up being eligible though. I know we have a contingent in here that is 100% convinced the eligibility thing is not a big deal but it would certainly explain a lot of things if it was in fact a longshot that he will be eligible next fall.

If this is true, this just sucks! Really hope he qualifies kill and staff are putting some faith in the kid and hopefully he can make it happen!

I read with great pleasure the comments that totally support my feelings that no one knows a damned thing. :)

he needs to score one point higher on his ACT then on his previous attempt and he has 3 chances to do so and he needs to raise his GPA by 0.2 so i don't know if that would be "a ways away" from qualifying. Jenkins said he believes he will qualify

So GI radio read an interview that was conducted and published 4 days ago where Jone's said he has some work and his coach said he may need to go the JC route and they speculated (with no evidence) that the FSU & MI backed off because of this? Wow...yet another example of the great reporting that goes on in the Twin Cities.

he needs to score one point higher on his ACT then on his previous attempt and he has 3 chances to do so and he needs to raise his GPA by 0.2 so i don't know if that would be "a ways away" from qualifying. Jenkins said he believes he will qualify

No, apparently it's worse than that. Atleast that is what Burn and the resto of the GI sources are saying. Makes sense if Ana SEC team like Florida backed off. But again these are rumors from their sources no matter how good they are.

You can podcast and listen for free on the site. It's around the 33 minute mark. Also good interview with Holland! Was my first the listening and it wasn't all that bad.

No, apparently it's worse than that. Atleast that is what Burn and the resto of the GI sources are saying. Makes sense if Ana SEC team like Florida backed off. But again these are rumors from their sources no matter how good they are.

You can podcast and listen for free on the site. It's around the 33 minute mark. Also good interview with Holland! Was my first the listening and it wasn't all that bad.

Link me

All that said, and of course if true, pencil me in as a fan that thinks he'll get the scores he needs. Kid might have made a few mistakes earlier in high school but he seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and had a good work ethic!!

You got this Jeff!! Can't wait to see you year up the B1G in Maroon & Gold!!!

Folks. We should all be careful on the speculation here. Don't think the guys at GI know the fine details either. Seems fairly obvious there are questions there, but don't give up on the kid yet.

FTR, I don't believe his coach said he may have to go JC. I think he said if he does, he'll do well that route too. It may be a hedge, but not a declaration.

Jeff can still qualify and can still choose MN. If both happen the team will improve instantly.

I'm probably being naive, but I'm not overly concerned with Jones qualifying. I really doubt he'd be playing basketball if he really behind and he has plenty of opportunities to raise his score. Furthermore, with basketball, football and recruiting ending, he'll have time to focus on his academics to boost it up the last couple points. This could also be why he is cancelling visits. Everything points to him needing just a bit to improve.

As to Florida and Michigan, that small amount might be enough to make them shy away. He's a MN commit and even if they were in on him till the end they probably were still behind MN. Now, if there is even the slightest chance that he wouldn't qualify, that probably weighs on them. These programs can be pickier with these kinds of things.

Even if he doesn't qualify, having choose Minnesota goes a long way in ensuring he eventually ends up on campus. See Gray and Campion.

GopherHole Q&A: Jeff Jones Will Announce Wednesday at 10am; Wants to Live in Minnesota After Football Career

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/344566?referrer_id=388419

So much of that article was a huge positive that he is going to commit to the U but he has to throw in the bit about Tennessee just to keep some suspense. At this point I would be really surprised if he goes anywhere else but he is determined to try and keep people guessing right up to signing day.

One thing that did encourage me about the article is he actually seems to understand that most players don't make the NFL. Way to often guys seem delusional about their prospects at the next level and don't take advantage of the free education that can set them up for life after football.

One thing that did encourage me about the article is he actually seems to understand that most players don't make the NFL. Way to often guys seem delusional about their prospects at the next level and don't take advantage of the free education that can set them up for life after football.

This stood out to me as well - it's not often something a top rated kid says.

Go Gophers!!

When is the last time the Gophers had a recruit rated as highly as Jeff? He's a consensus top 50-60 national kid, and I can't remember the last time we've had someone that highly rated.

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Jeff Jones will make or break 2014 recruiting class

"He can become an instant star in the Twin Cities," said Lemming, who has covered recruiting for more than 30 years. "I think Minnesota fans are going to love him for at least three years before he goes to the NFL. He's a potential impact player, which is what they need on offense."

The 6-foot, 200-pound senior, the Minnesota Mr. Football award winner last fall, is confident he has the talent to compete for the starting tailback spot right away.

"I feel like I can," Jones said. "But I don't want anything handed to me. Competition breeds success. If I catch on to the playbook fast enough, I feel like I can get some carries as a true freshman."

"You look at the Minnesota program and you can project where they're going to be in my four years -- there's a lot you can say," Jones said. "I just feel like it speaks for itself."

If Jones signs, this could be Kill's best class at Minnesota.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25061873/gophers-football-jeff-jones-will-make-or-break

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Jeff Jones will make or break 2014 recruiting class

"He can become an instant star in the Twin Cities," said Lemming, who has covered recruiting for more than 30 years. "I think Minnesota fans are going to love him for at least three years before he goes to the NFL. He's a potential impact player, which is what they need on offense."

The 6-foot, 200-pound senior, the Minnesota Mr. Football award winner last fall, is confident he has the talent to compete for the starting tailback spot right away.

"I feel like I can," Jones said. "But I don't want anything handed to me. Competition breeds success. If I catch on to the playbook fast enough, I feel like I can get some carries as a true freshman."

"You look at the Minnesota program and you can project where they're going to be in my four years -- there's a lot you can say," Jones said. "I just feel like it speaks for itself."

If Jones signs, this could be Kill's best class at Minnesota.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25061873/gophers-football-jeff-jones-will-make-or-break

Go Gophers!!

love both those bolded quotes!

When is the last time the Gophers had a recruit rated as highly as Jeff? He's a consensus top 50-60 national kid, and I can't remember the last time we've had someone that highly rated.

Go Gophers!!

Jeff is a 6.0 on Rivals
The last time we even had a 5.8 was 2010 -- had Lamonte Edwards and Jimmy Gjere.
2009 had Hayo Carpenter and Michael Carter as a 5.9
MarQueis was a 5.9 in 2008. 2008 also had 5.8s in Brandon Green, Vincent Hill, Traye Simmons, David Pittman, and Sam Maresh
Alex Daniels was a 5.9 in 2005

I went back to 2002 and there were zero 6.0s for Minnesota.

Top Bottom