All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

I don't give a **** why those other teams stopped recruiting him if he ends up in a Gopher jersey.

I don't give a **** why those other teams stopped recruiting him if he ends up in a Gopher jersey.

Couldn't agree more. It matters not one bit why other teams ceased pursuing him. If he qualifies, we all know what he is going to be capable of doing.

per Shama: RB Jones ’50-50′ about Gophers-Cyclones

Jeff Jones, the Rivals.com four-star running back from Washburn High School, met at his Minneapolis home late yesterday with Gophers coach Jerry Kill. Jones committed verbally to the Gophers after Signing Day last year but is undecided whether he will attend Minnesota or Iowa State.

“I think it’s 50-50,” Jones told Sports Headliners last night. “At this point I don’t know.”

Jones described Iowa State’s head coach Paul Rhodes as a “great guy” and a leader who is enthusiastic. But he likes Kill, too. “He cares about his players a lot,” Jones said.

Kill made a good impression with Jones and family members last night. Kill had them laughing including when he said no flash would be necessary for photos because of his bald head.

Kill’s visit to the Jones home lasted about two hours. It was the most recent of several contacts the two have shared. “I feel I know him,” Jones said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama: RB Jones ’50-50′ about Gophers-Cyclones

Jeff Jones, the Rivals.com four-star running back from Washburn High School, met at his Minneapolis home late yesterday with Gophers coach Jerry Kill. Jones committed verbally to the Gophers after Signing Day last year but is undecided whether he will attend Minnesota or Iowa State.

“I think it’s 50-50,” Jones told Sports Headliners last night. “At this point I don’t know.”

Jones described Iowa State’s head coach Paul Rhodes as a “great guy” and a leader who is enthusiastic. But he likes Kill, too. “He cares about his players a lot,” Jones said.

Kill made a good impression with Jones and family members last night. Kill had them laughing including when he said no flash would be necessary for photos because of his bald head.

Kill’s visit to the Jones home lasted about two hours. It was the most recent of several contacts the two have shared. “I feel I know him,” Jones said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I call BS. He just wants some drama on signing day.

If we lost Jones to ISU that would be about the worst miss I've experienced as a Gopher fan. Even worse than Reid.

Does anyone know what time he will be announcing at his school?

I'm sure there will be at least a few amongst us that will be on edge.

If we lost Jones to ISU that would be about the worst miss I've experienced as a Gopher fan. Even worse than Reid.

Yeah, with Reid, I could at least comfort myself by assuming he just decided the academic quality of Stanford was more important to him than a basketball decision. This one would sting. Like has been mentioned, I think he just wants there to be some kind of suspense to the decision.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Heard 4-star Washburn running back Jeff Jones had a great visit with Kill on Sunday. He's down to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> and Iowa St. MN still favorite.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/427885843471007744">January 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

With the Luck-o the Gophers, kid chooses us and then does not qualify.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Heard 4-star Washburn running back Jeff Jones had a great visit with Kill on Sunday. He's down to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> and Iowa St. MN still favorite.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/427885843471007744">January 27, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Given how long this recruiting process has been going on with Jones, Kill, and staff (they've recruited him since the 9th grade!), the comments he has made regarding loyalty and such, I would be stunned if he didn't end up choosing the Gophers, even more so if he somehow completely lost his mind and chose Iowa State.

I could not possibly understand the lure to Iowa St. over the Gophers at this point, unless Jones is so intimidated/worried about Cobb/Edwards/Smith, and thinks he would play so much more at Iowa St. as a freshman

Publisher of AllCyclones for Scout
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jeff Jones told a reporter today he's 50-50 with Minnesota and Iowa State. Funny, since he's not returning ISU's calls. He's a Gopher.</p>— Trey Scott (@Trey_Scott3) <a href="https://twitter.com/Trey_Scott3/statuses/427973145052463104">January 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Cyclones haven't been to Washburn to see Jones since the dead period lifted. And they're very happy with Martinez Syria and Mike Warren</p>— Trey Scott (@Trey_Scott3) <a href="https://twitter.com/Trey_Scott3/statuses/427973354826366976">January 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

I highly doubt ISU cooled on Jones….I would bet that he cooled on them. He is going to be a great Gopher...

Let me start by saying that I really hope Jones signs with the U of M, but something is really off about his whole recruitment. For a guy that is obviously very talented it seems like he really has limited options on where he can go to school and being down to MN and Iowa State is an odd pairing for any highly rated recruit. Who knows how it is all playing out in the background something just feels off to me, not really sure what it is.

I wonder if Rodney Smith's signing will have any effect on Jones' decision. We're going to have an awful lot of running backs next year.

Let me start by saying that I really hope Jones signs with the U of M, but something is really off about his whole recruitment. For a guy that is obviously very talented it seems like he really has limited options on where he can go to school and being down to MN and Iowa State is an odd pairing for any highly rated recruit. Who knows how it is all playing out in the background something just feels off to me, not really sure what it is.

Maybe he has been more committed than people think and he was caught up in the moment (understandably) of being UA game MVP and getting offers from big time programs. But then after things settled down he remembered what is important to him and since he stresses loyalty he went back to the schools who had been recruiting him this entire time.

It's all speculation. I vote we see how it plays out an enjoy the trip.

A player as talented as Jones shouldn't be worried about who else is on our roster its not like we have a absolute superstar at running back. Dont get me wrong Cobb is good but he doesn't have the same skill set as jones. Jones brings a lot more to the table.

Combination of committing early (even though it was a soft verbal) and being somewhat of a question mark in terms of eligibility. If I'm a coach of a big time school I'm probably not going to make a guy a priority if he appears shaky with academics and is also committed to another school. It's not like big schools weren't interested either, because they definitely were (Florida, Michigan, MSU, Missouri, etc.).

I wonder if Rodney Smith's signing will have any effect on Jones' decision. We're going to have an awful lot of running backs next year.

Seriously doubt it.

We have some congestion (aka depth) in the backfield this season, but look at 2015

Sr - R Williams
RSo - B Edwards
So - Jones (assuming he plays as a freshman....pretty safe assumption)
RFr - Smith

Not as crowded in 2015

as with so many things in life, if you wait long enough, the decision gets made for you...

Sounds like its down to the Gophers and a JUCO, as his coach said in the StarTribune article over the weekend...

My hunch: If JJ indeed becomes eligible, he red shirts and focuses on academics and getting stronger. He can thrive under JK's tutelage, and the sky's the limit on untapped potential. It is all entirely up to him how determine he is to conquer the classroom and achieve. The rewards are stupendous. He seems like a genuinely good kid who needs to be in a program like the Gophers'.

Some kids are very fragile at 17/18, and handle pressure differently. You'd want to balance with kid gloves the needs of the program vs the needs of the kid. It is not too often that we see a RB of his potential coming out of MN.

If he has to go the JC route, the door is not shut on him entirely with the Gophers. It is about the kids' future in the end, and JK genuinely cares about the kids he recruited.

In JK we trust. Go Gophers!

How many times can people say the same thing on one string? I don't know but I suspect we may break the record with this one.:horse:

Top Bottom