All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

How does one credibly make the argument that Missouri and Tennessee are lateral moves, "at best", when they have achieved demonstrably superior results both in the present and past? I agree that neither is a huge upgrade, but it's difficult to argue that they aren't lateral moves, at least, and slight upgrades in all probability. Conference affiliation doesn't mean much when you haven't been able to compete in your conference. No one would argue that Northwestern or Penn St. are better basketball jobs than Missouri or Tennessee, but Minnesota somehow is?

The way you phrase that last sentence you seam to say that minnesota penn state and northwestern are all about the same and minnesota can't be better than Tenn/Mizzou because these other big ten schools(NW/psu) arn't.

Where did I put NW in the same category as the U? Please cite it for me. I'm taking the ridiculous argument that Minnesota is better by virtue of conference affiliation to its logical extreme. If Minnesota is better than Missouri and Tennessee because it's in the Big Ten, then Penn St. and Northwestern are also better jobs than Missouri and Tennessee, right?

"Petty little arguments." Ha. Good one. So discussing where Minnesota actually is in the pecking order (not where Minnesota fans pretend it is), and the impact that has on attraction and retention of athletics coaches, is a petty argument? Is that Wisconsin logic?

Put me on ignore. I don't care. My 7-year-old also likes to put his fingers in his ears and pretend I don't exist when he's mad at me.

Shocker of the year...you have a 7 year old?! And here I was thinking you were 85 and crotchety.

The way you phrase that last sentence you seam to say that minnesota penn state and northwestern are all about the same and minnesota can't be better than Tenn/Mizzou because these other big ten schools(NW/psu) arn't.

No, what I'm saying, for at least the third time now, is that conference affiliation doesn't mean much if you generally aren't competitive in your conference. Minnesota being in the Big Ten is a selling point if we're being compared to Toledo or Wyoming, but not much of a factor when being compared to schools in other high-major conferences. The argument "Minnesota is in the Big Ten, and the Big Ten is better than the SEC in basketball, therefore Minnesota is a better job than Missouri or Tennessee" is a poor one.

Shocker of the year...you have a 7 year old?! And here I was thinking you were 85 and crotchety.

Shocker of the year...you ignore the argument and attack the poster. Par for the course for you.

Shocker of the year...you ignore the argument and attack the poster. Par for the course for you.

Point out the attack for me, if you will.

Also, you need to learn how to take a joke.

No, what I'm saying, for at least the third time now, is that conference affiliation doesn't mean much if you generally aren't competitive in your conference. Minnesota being in the Big Ten is a selling point if we're being compared to Toledo or Wyoming, but not much of a factor when being compared to schools in other high-major conferences. The argument "Minnesota is in the Big Ten, and the Big Ten is better than the SEC in basketball, therefore Minnesota is a better job than Missouri or Tennessee" is a poor one.

I get it. But if you are reading fast and you just remember that last sentence you can not remember the earlier paragraph when you were talking about conference affiliation specifically. I would argue that MN is better because of more than just conference affiliation but I already put those out there.

Isn't the U building a 25 million dollar practice facility?

Also, I've seen some of the renovations that have been made recently during Pitino's tenure. He has actually upgraded the building where his office is located with a basketball court, weight room, and study area's.

Not the best, but not shabby by any means.

9th place.

Stormcloudsanimated.gif

Mizzou is at least a good a job as MN, probably a bit better. Nice arena. Nice fan support. But the move to the SEC, for basketball, is not a good one, and thier coach just ran out the door for Tulsa.

Tennessee is a football school first and always, and treated their last coach so well he just bolted for a lateral move after making the Sweet 16. And their history is so much better than MN? When's the last time Tenn. made a Final Four? Anyone? At least most folks know when MN did, whether it 'counts' or not.

He ain't going anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For argument's sake let's accept that Tennessee and Missouri are marginally better programs than the U. But not nearly enough for Pitino to bail for his 3rd different job in 3 years. No way.

This thread needs to end.

Once we get a practice facility this will be just as good of a job as any program in the Big Ten not named IU or MSU. Biggest city in the Big Ten with the most to do in it, One of the loudest home courts in the conference and not great but good instate talent coupled with the fact of being the only D-1 school in the state gives us a particular advantage in recruiting over a school like UT where they might have more instate talent but would have to compete with a school like Memphis.

Tennessee is a football school first and always, and treated their last coach so well he just bolted for a lateral move after making the Sweet 16. And their history is so much better than MN? When's the last time Tenn. made a Final Four? Anyone? At least most folks know when MN did, whether it 'counts' or not.

Not sure if serious? Tennessee finished 8th in the country in basketball attendance in 2012-13. Imagine what they could do if they weren't a football school.

Also, since 2000:

NCAA Tournament appearances:
Tenn 9
Minn 4

Sweet Sixteens
Tenn 5
Minn 0

Elite Eights
Tenn 1
Minn 0

Conf Championships
Tenn 2
Minn 0

So, yeah, the recent history is virtually identical. Tennessee doesn't have a vacated Final 4 from 17 years ago to be proud of, but they still somehow manage to draw 16 k fans per game and get to the Tournament consistently despite being a football school.

I'm guessing DPO is a lawyer. On behalf of the board, DPO, please shut-up. You need to learn when to quit.

This is becoming worse then a "do recruiting services evaluate based on offers?" thread. :)

I'm guessing DPO is a lawyer. On behalf of the board, DPO, please shut-up. You need to learn when to quit.

You mean quit arguing complete non-issues relentlessly? Why on earth would someone stop doing that?

Once we get a practice facility this will be just as good of a job as any program in the Big Ten not named IU or MSU. Biggest city in the Big Ten with the most to do in it, One of the loudest home courts in the conference and not great but good instate talent coupled with the fact of being the only D-1 school in the state gives us a particular advantage in recruiting over a school like UT where they might have more instate talent but would have to compete with a school like Memphis.

+1 Also, as Rick Pitino said on air, one of the "top 7 or 8 basketball AD's in the country."

You mean quit arguing complete non-issues relentlessly? Why on earth would someone stop doing that?

The entire point of this forum is to argue complete non-issues. We're not solving world hunger. By your (terrible) logic, everyone should just stop posting and the site should shut down.

Dpodoll is my hero. Bit I also am favorable to hemmrhoids and buy stock in toilet paper companies. Dpo is cool.

Top Bottom