All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Tubby was a " blue blood". Pitino exceeded Tubby's B1G single season win total, his over all season win total, and won a championship...in 1 year. People will come a knockin'

It takes a body of work, for all the people that knock Tubby and Monson, Tubby had two 9-9 seasons and three tourney appearances, Monson had three winning records in conference and we know how those seasons ended. Pitino exceeded last years expectations, but routinely going 8-10 in the big ten isn't going to help his cause in the long run. Gotta take that next step to either leave for greener pastures or to build Minnesota into the program that he wants it to be.

Tournament wins don't count in the Big Ten standings. And if we're going to magically make our own rules (like the Tubby Haters on this forum often do) and count conference tournament wins as Big Ten wins (they're not), Tubby won 12 games against Big Ten teams in 2009-10. So he's still quite wrong.

As well as double-digit wins in 2007-08 (10-11 in 1st season) and 2008-09 (10-10), if that's the argument being made.

Either way you look at it, it's pretty likely Pitino's next coaching job will be slightly better than Tx Tech.

My mistake. If you dont want to believe that Pitino is a "hot commodity", I am cool with that.

A much clearer Pitino-Tubby comparison will come after next season. If conference wins/place & NCAA tournament appearances/wins are the bars (most of us would agree those are the two most important things?), the bare-minimum bar for Pitino next season is 9-9, a tie for 7th, and a NCAA appearance. ... certainly bars that appear within reach considering what the Gophers have coming back.

A much clearer Pitino-Tubby comparison will come after next season. If conference wins/place & NCAA tournament appearances/wins are the bars (most of us would agree those are the two most important things?), the bare-minimum bar for Pitino next season is 9-9, a tie for 7th, and a NCAA appearance. ... certainly bars that appear within reach considering what the Gophers have coming back.

Agreed on all of this.

Now the Mizzou rumors are heating up. A better job than Tennessee, but it's still the SEC.

Blah, blahhhhh, blah....

I can't believe how some people are so willing to put down the U. If you keeping telling your girlfriend you're ugly, don't be surprised if she begins to believe you. How about some positivity for a change. He has said he could die here, he and the AD have said he isn't leaving, what more do you want? Enough already, go out and watch the snow melt.

Blah, blahhhhh, blah....

I can't believe how some people are so willing to put down the U. If you keeping telling your girlfriend you're ugly, don't be surprised if she begins to believe you. How about some positivity for a change. He has said he could die here, he and the AD have said he isn't leaving, what more do you want? Enough already, go out and watch the snow melt.

+1

here is my problem is Tenn or Mizzou or any almost lateral change. If he has an okay year all of those jobs would be available at a later time. They are not must take by any stretch. Going from FIU to MN is a must take as you have 1 bad year at FIU and you don't get a MN offer next year, some other up-and-coming coach does. another good year or 3 and he'll be like Shaka and Brad Stevens in terms of every school with an opening thinking they have a shot but really it's not a better place.

Here is a new one... Richard Pitino to coach the T-Wolves?

I think Pitino opened a lot of eyes this year with what he did here. I think the rumors are only going to grow but I also choose to believe he was genuine in wanting to build something special here.

Hands off schools - he's ours

+1

here is my problem is Tenn or Mizzou or any almost lateral change. If he has an okay year all of those jobs would be available at a later time. They are not must take by any stretch. Going from FIU to MN is a must take as you have 1 bad year at FIU and you don't get a MN offer next year, some other up-and-coming coach does. another good year or 3 and he'll be like Shaka and Brad Stevens in terms of every school with an opening thinking they have a shot but really it's not a better place.

Here is a new one... Richard Pitino to coach the T-Wolves?

I may not believe everything Rick Pitino has said about Richard and MN, but I believe him when he says 'Richard HATES the NBA.'

Have to think, in a weird way, his name being out there every few weeks as the hot coaching candidate helps his profile on the recruiting trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Blah, blahhhhh, blah....

I'm betting most girls would dump you in that case.

Blah, blahhhhh, blah....

If your comment is directed at me.....again, I'm not predicting he leaves. But I'm also not ready to say this is the sixth or seventh best job in the country which others are more or less suggesting. That's not putting down the University. The facilities are what they are. The record is what the record is. etc etc I'm trying to base my comments on reality, not what I wish the reality would be.

FYI....did watch the snow melt. Finally got to hit the course.

Have to think, in a weird way, his name being out there every few weeks as the hot coaching candidate helps his profile on the recruiting trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Every time someone says Richard Pitino it helps him on the recruiting trail.

This thread sucks in so many levels it's not funny. From absolutely incorrect statements to trashing your own school to somehow comparing Tubby and Pitino in another thread this one has achieved the 5star status of fail. Screw all of you for making me read this daily to determine whether or not there are any credible updates to whether or not he is leaving our fine university.

I enjoy this thread as it means people outside of the state of Minnesota see the potential in Richard and the relative success he has had in his short time with the Gophers and FIU. But people, he ain't going nowhere, he needs the U and he needs us to be successful for at least a few years. Because right now he still can't hang his hat on anything. Other than a couple solid seasons at two separate programs. He hasn't shown he can recruit into a sustained system with success. (For the record I think he will prove that here, but obviously he hasn't because, time.) Only then will we have to worry about potential suitors with real jobs. I am sorry but at BEST Tennessee and Mizzou are lateral and that is at best. I know we all love to knock the U here, but it is in the best basketball conference in America, we are a one state school, and it isn't a football school. Plus a couple successful years here would definitely get the ball rolling on possible facilities. Minneapolites and Minnesotan sports fans want a winner badly. They will flock to the barn to see a B1G contender.

Richard knows this, and to do another one and done at a school I think would look poor especially from a middle power conference school to another middle power conference school. Richard is a smart guy and if he moves on it will be for a top school, and a top school ain't coming until he proves he is more than a "flash in the pan". (Again which I don't think he is.)

It's funny, cause it seems like in all our sports (college and pro even), we're always worried about our coaches leaving here to greener pastures. But I honestly can't even recall the last time that's even happened? Seems to me our problem is we end up firing all our coaches lol.

How does one credibly make the argument that Missouri and Tennessee are lateral moves, "at best", when they have achieved demonstrably superior results both in the present and past? I agree that neither is a huge upgrade, but it's difficult to argue that they aren't lateral moves, at least, and slight upgrades in all probability. Conference affiliation doesn't mean much when you haven't been able to compete in your conference. No one would argue that Northwestern or Penn St. are better basketball jobs than Missouri or Tennessee, but Minnesota somehow is?

There have been some rumors of Billy Donovan being in consideration to coach the T-Wolves. While I think it's highly unlikely, if Billy was hired here and Richard's name came up for the Florida position, then I'd be worried.

The thing I will say is probably a positive at both those schools is that their practice facilities are probably upgrades. Also I will give you that Mizzou may have claim to a more prestigious history. Tennessee had a really good coach, in Pearl, who got fired for recruiting violations. But I think at present the Gopher job is better and those are definitely laterals and not more. How do you put Minnesota in the same frame as Penn St. and Northwestern? Those schools don't have near the fan support,respective local media coverage of the gophers. I would also argue they are both overshadowed by their football programs, especially State.

1. Working for an AD like Teague seems like a big plus, the guys he hires he seems to really support.
2. There is a lot of local recruitable talent in Minnesota for the next few years and I think this is huge for Pitino is that he wants to instill a system and be able to prove he can recruit into a system.
3. B1G conference does have meaning and I think the next few years will judge if he can or can't compete in it. And what are we using by definition of compete? Because the Gophers certainly were competitive in the league this year. Also the league is growing in fan bases and has a ton exposure with BTN network. Plus for recruiting and personal exposure.

I think there are a lot of resources at the U, in terms of publicity, talent, work environment that make this job a better one than Mizzou or Tennessee. I guess I am curious why anyone (dpodoll) thinks those schools are better than lateral moves? Outside of how bad our practice facilities are. Because it just seems we bash on how bad the U is as opposed to be bringing up any positive arguments for the schools in question.

There have been some rumors of Billy Donovan being in consideration to coach the T-Wolves. While I think it's highly unlikely, if Billy was hired here and Richard's name came up for the Florida position, then I'd be worried.

That is a good point unless Pitino likes the thought of hanging out with his former boss in MN.

Because of this, I am officially rooting for anybody but Donavan for the twolves job.

I think Florida would have to offer the job to a more exprienced coach though, but you never know.

If they did want him, I'm sure he'd opt to go. Not hard to choose between palm trees and sun compared to this everlasting winter that does not want to move on.

If Donovan leaves at all in the next 5 years, I hope it's now. I don't see Florida offering Pitino the job without more recruiting and tournament experience. I also don't see Pitino leaving for any job after only one year at Minnesota. So now would be a good time for Donovan to leave, if you are a Gopher fan.

The thing I will say is probably a positive at both those schools is that their practice facilities are probably upgrades. Also I will give you that Mizzou may have claim to a more prestigious history. Tennessee had a really good coach, in Pearl, who got fired for recruiting violations. But I think at present the Gopher job is better and those are definitely laterals and not more. How do you put Minnesota in the same frame as Penn St. and Northwestern? Those schools don't have near the fan support,respective local media coverage of the gophers. I would also argue they are both overshadowed by their football schools, especially State.

1. Working for an AD like Teague seems like a big plus, the guys he hires he seems to really support.
2. There is a lot of local recruitable talent in Minnesota for the next few years and I think this is huge for Pitino is that he wants to instill a system and be able to prove he can recruit into a system.
3. B1G conference does have meaning and I think the next few years will judge if he can or can't compete in it. And what are we using by definition of compete? Because the Gophers certainly were competitive in the league this year. Also the league is growing in fan bases and has a ton exposure with BTN network. Plus for recruiting and personal exposure.

I think there are a lot of resources at the U, in terms of publicity, talent, work environment that make this job a better one than Mizzou or Tennessee. I guess I am curious why anyone (dpodoll) thinks those schools are better than lateral moves? Outside of how bad our practice facilities are. Because it just seems we bash on how bad the U is as opposed to be bringing up any positive arguments for the schools in question.

Ahh, so you're saying Minnesota is better based 100% on potential? Interesting. You admit that Missouri and Tennessee both have better practice facilities, and better histories (both do, not just Missouri), and yet Minnesota is a better job? Again, interesting. Coaches don't take maybe jobs over proven ones. If they have the option, they don't take potential over hard evidence.

I base the definition of competitive on the fact that Minnesota hasn't won the Big Ten in 32 years, and haven't even finished better than 4th in that time frame. Outside of the fact that Missouri and Tennessee are better in virtually every conceivable way, outside of perhaps conference affiliation, you're right, Minnesota is definitely a better job.

How does one credibly make the argument that Missouri and Tennessee are lateral moves, "at best", when they have achieved demonstrably superior results both in the present and past? I agree that neither is a huge upgrade, but it's difficult to argue that they aren't lateral moves, at least, and slight upgrades in all probability. Conference affiliation doesn't mean much when you haven't been able to compete in your conference. No one would argue that Northwestern or Penn St. are better basketball jobs than Missouri or Tennessee, but Minnesota somehow is?

How they are lateral at best(for this year)
Money we can match them if we need to
He's already worked for a year at getting his guys in. starting over is tough(3 schools in 3 years not a good recruiting pitch)
Conference(he hasn't had a chance to compete with, mostly, his recruits yet)
Fan base for basketball

How they are a step up
Practice facilities
I would put arena here but I don't know. espn gushes about the Barn whenever we're on. so it probably recruits some players.

You guys know dpodoll68 only comes to the bball board to bait people into petty little arguments, right? I'd suggest putting him on ignore. Putting the U in the same category as a program that has never made the tournament (NW) is as obvious of troll bait as I have ever seen.

You are 100% correct....to state the obvious. Tenn 7 NCAA appearances in last 10 years including 3 sweet 16s and an elite 8. Missouri 5 NCAA'S In last ten years with one Elite 8. Gophers 4 in last 10 years with only one win.

Ahh, so you're saying Minnesota is better based 100% on potential? Interesting. You admit that Missouri and Tennessee both have better practice facilities, and better histories (both do, not just Missouri), and yet Minnesota is a better job? Again, interesting. Coaches don't take maybe jobs over proven ones. If they have the option, they don't take potential over hard evidence. I base the definition of competitive on the fact that Minnesota hasn't won the Big Ten in 32 years, and haven't even finished better than 4th in that time frame. Outside of the fact that Missouri and Tennessee are better in virtually every conceivable way, outside of perhaps conference affiliation, you're right, Minnesota is definitely a better job.

The fact that it appears Martin left Tennessee because his bosses treated him like garbage and Haith left Missouri to evade NCAA problems may make them a little less appealing

Not going to argue the history part, but there are certainly a few things about those schools that may make someone pause. Problems Minnesota doesn't seem to have right now.

You guys know dpodoll68 only comes to the bball board to bait people into petty little arguments, right? I'd suggest putting him on ignore. Putting the U in the same category as a program that has never made the tournament (NW) is as obvious of troll bait as I have ever seen.

Where did I put NW in the same category as the U? Please cite it for me. I'm taking the ridiculous argument that Minnesota is better by virtue of conference affiliation to its logical extreme. If Minnesota is better than Missouri and Tennessee because it's in the Big Ten, then Penn St. and Northwestern are also better jobs than Missouri and Tennessee, right?

"Petty little arguments." Ha. Good one. So discussing where Minnesota actually is in the pecking order (not where Minnesota fans pretend it is), and the impact that has on attraction and retention of athletics coaches, is a petty argument? Is that Wisconsin logic?

Put me on ignore. I don't care. My 7-year-old also likes to put his fingers in his ears and pretend I don't exist when he's mad at me.

You are 100% correct....to state the obvious. Tenn 7 NCAA appearances in last 10 years including 3 sweet 16s and an elite 8. Missouri 5 NCAA'S In last ten years with one Elite 8. Gophers 4 in last 10 years with only one win.

Then the coach was subsequently canned after said "Win".

Top Bottom