All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Most AD's will look at that explaining as excuses. His won-loss record speaks volumes. When in history has someone in a power 6 conference won so little been hired at another power 6 school ? Florida would never trade out White for Pitino. Why do people act like he is a hot commodity. First , win our conference !
Here in the EST, it says you were posting at 4:04 AM. I'm not certain if you were up early or late. Either way I hope there was a little booze involved.

Pitino has the #17 team in the country. Is that just luck? Or does he have something to do with it?

Each school would have their own criteria...I'd think that one is far down the list. Would it be easier to get recruits to Miami or Minnesota? I can convince somebody I could recruit players to Miami or any warm weather beach area more easily than Minnesota.
Let's see Minnesota is in the Big Ten but it is 20 below during the basketball season.
Florida has a basketball team, you go to school for free and girls wear bikinis all year around.
Most guys are picking Florida or some place kinda warm.... ya, ya there is more to it but recruiting to Minnesota can't be easy to a high school kid.
Oh yeah, I’m not saying it’s easy to recruit to MN on its geographic merits, but I am saying that Pitino’s relationships with MN’s aau/high school coaches and programs could tell an AD about how Pitino plans to bring recruits into School X. Definitely not as important as track record on the court, but I’d consider it as a component of “fit”.

Meanwhile assistants seem to often be hired based on their recruiting connections to a particular region (kimani young was a better fit at UCONN partially because of his NY roots).

Here in the EST, it says you were posting at 4:04 AM. I'm not certain if you were up early or late. Either way I hope there was a little booze involved.

Pitino has the #17 team in the country. Is that just luck? Or does he have something to do with it?
BADGER does not like RP nor want him to succeed, imo. Tons of examples over the past few years right here on gh.

Having a good team this year is great but for him to jump to another P6 job he may need sustained success. Like back to back winning records in the conference. Back to back NCAA tourney teams. Things that show consistency. Right now he is not a hot commodity.

and Built is on the older side. He probably doesn't need sleep.

Having a good team this year is great but for him to jump to another P6 job he may need sustained success. Like back to back winning records in the conference. Back to back NCAA tourney teams. Things that show consistency. Right now he is not a hot commodity.

and Built is on the older side. He probably doesn't need sleep.
I should have been more clear: I wasn't weighing in on whether he could, would or should jump ship to another P6 program. I have no view on that matter right now, as I haven't really given it any thought. I was wondering if a coach can just "get lucky" and score a #17 ranked program? And if so, is it the case that this team is the product of luck?

MN is a great job. I can't see him being poached with his up and down performance. He's got a top 25 team, but loses by 20 every time they play on the road. I think he's turning the corner a bit, but we will see what next year brings. I feel the same way with Pitino that I did with Mason, Kill, Claeys. I'm fine moving forward and I'm fine going another direction.

I should have been more clear: I wasn't weighing in on whether he could, would or should jump ship to another P6 program. I have no view on that matter right now, as I haven't really given it any thought. I was wondering if a coach can just "get lucky" and score a #17 ranked program? And if so, is it the case that this team is the product of luck?

Oh, I get what you're saying.

I don't think its luck but I think he has had so little sustained success over 8 years that this may qualify as an outlier.

The guys at Syracuse and Florida will not be swayed by one good year. Follow all the coaches and assistants and one year does not move solid basketball minds. Florida has a better coach then we do.

Florida is not happy with their coach. They have consistently underperformed their recruiting. Pitino would do better at Florida with the same talent.

Honestly I wish he would leave for a better job. That would make the U job opening more attractive. Its a positive to see a coach leave for greener pastures. Pitino has been mostly mediocre with a couple solid years mixed in. There has been bad luck but I have seen enough to say I don't want this guy in charge of the program anymore, he's nowhere near as effective as his dad. That being said if he takes this squad to the sweet 16 this year then I will eat crow.

I could see him leaving for a job like Miami and don't know if I'd mind.

The team has been fantastic this year and I'm looking forward to seeing how they finish the season. It's always just consistency with Pitino. How does our team perform the next couple years after this one? If we go 16-16 next year I hate that. All depends on who stays and who goes as far as players. I guess if Pitino continually understands how to work the transfer portal then it's all good. That's TBD at this point.

Hate to bring the pessimism but I think it's more just facts than pessimism.

I like these guys this year though and look forward to watching them.

He has a great deal to do with it.

Florida is not happy with their coach. They have consistently underperformed their recruiting. Pitino would do better at Florida with the same talent.
White is regarded on a whole different level by his peers than Pitino. The people at Florida have a long list of guys ahead of Pitino.

White is regarded on a whole different level by his peers than Pitino. The people at Florida have a long list of guys ahead of Pitino.

White is very well thought of. He's still never had a losing record in his conference in five years. It's tough following Donovan.

I could see him leaving for a job like Miami and don't know if I'd mind.

The team has been fantastic this year and I'm looking forward to seeing how they finish the season. It's always just consistency with Pitino. How does our team perform the next couple years after this one? If we go 16-16 next year I hate that. All depends on who stays and who goes as far as players. I guess if Pitino continually understands how to work the transfer portal then it's all good. That's TBD at this point.

Hate to bring the pessimism but I think it's more just facts than pessimism.

I like these guys this year though and look forward to watching them.
Unless he's paid a lot more money any realistic option for Pitino are lateral at best.

per Shooter:

Some basketball people won’t be surprised if Boston College, which last weekend fired Jim Christian as coach, targets the Gophers’ Richard Pitino.

Pitino, 38, has three contract years remaining at $2.4 million annually, and a buyout of $1.75 million if he leaves before April 30.

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Some basketball people won’t be surprised if Boston College, which last weekend fired Jim Christian as coach, targets the Gophers’ Richard Pitino.

Pitino, 38, has three contract years remaining at $2.4 million annually, and a buyout of $1.75 million if he leaves before April 30.

Go Gophers!!
Yes please

per Shooter:

Go Gophers!!
To BC fans lurking: Oh no! Anything but that!

Do the gophers offer to waive the buyout? I sure would. Haha.

Also, Pitino has to take that job if offered. Buys himself another 4-5 years

I'd go even further than that. I'd pay BC at least a half of million to hire him.

per Shooter:

Go Gophers!!

If the college basketball gods have any mercy they will allow for this to happen. PLEASE

It would be a great move for everyone involved. Pitino's wife is a Boston College grad, by the way.

I think a fresh start at age 38, with 8 years of Big Ten coaching experience, gives Pitino a better chance to be better with BC than he did at MN taking the job at 30.

As weird as it sounds, BC could do worse than hiring a 38-year old coach with good communication skills and 8 years of Big Ten coaching experience, who is from the east coast and has strong Boston ties.

Fresh starts all around.

Do the gophers offer to waive the buyout? I sure would. Haha.

Also, Pitino has to take that job if offered. Buys himself another 4-5 years

he can retire at 45.

I think he'd be entertaining as a TV analyst - not sure how insightful he would be, but he has a funny, quick wit

It would be a great move for everyone involved. Pitino's wife is a Boston College grad, by the way.

I think a fresh start at age 38, with 8 years of Big Ten coaching experience, gives Pitino a better chance to be better with BC than he did at MN taking the job at 30.

As weird as it sounds, BC could do worse than hiring a 38-year old coach with good communication skills and 8 years of Big Ten coaching experience, who is from the east coast and has strong Boston ties.

Fresh starts all around.
I agree with all of this

he probably makes 3 ncaa tourneys in 7 years at BC and is then all of a sudden in the hot seat in 2029

he can retire at 45.

I think he'd be entertaining as a TV analyst - not sure how insightful he would be, but he has a funny, quick wit

He would be great in that role. I never liked the hire and I hate the way his teams play, but even I find him likable. He'd also have some good stories with coaching with his dad, Billy Donovan and in the Big 10.

I was going to come in here to say that UT is an easier university to recruit for and that they have way more McDz AA...however I just looked at since 2000, UT and the U are even at 2. Don't think it is an easier school to recruit to...Lil Richard should just stay at Minny and build a program.
The 9th year of Year Zero?

he can retire at 45.

He would be almost maybe possibly nearly as good as Steven Bardot.

Seriously, he'd be a great color guy.

If the college basketball gods have any mercy they will allow for this to happen. PLEASE
BC is pretty fat into the search and they are aiming at better coaches than Pitino. Gates, Howard Eisley and one of the Purdue assistants lead the way with the possibility of Bruce Pearl going back to his alma mater /

Last edited:

Top Bottom