All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

I’d be more inclined to donate for your own plane ticket out of here.
Which do you think will happen first, me or him gone?

I only need to last another year, sport.

Kentucky basketball: 10 potential replacements for John Calipari

10. Richard Pitino, Minnesota

The Golden Gophers added another “resume win” with a blowout victory over previously unbeaten Michigan on Saturday, to go with wins over Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan State as part of their 11-4 mark thus far. Pitino is already in his eighth season as Gophers coach, and he surfaces once in a while as a periphery candidate for other jobs.

Pitino of course has a tie to Kentucky, as his father Rick had a very successful run as Wildcats’ coach. He was once seen as a candidate to succeed his dad at Louisville, but that idea is gone now. But the Pitino name may still mean something in Lexington, if only as a highly speculative candidate to replace Calipari.

Go Gophers!!

Kentucky basketball: 10 potential replacements for John Calipari

10. Richard Pitino, Minnesota

The Golden Gophers added another “resume win” with a blowout victory over previously unbeaten Michigan on Saturday, to go with wins over Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan State as part of their 11-4 mark thus far. Pitino is already in his eighth season as Gophers coach, and he surfaces once in a while as a periphery candidate for other jobs.

Pitino of course has a tie to Kentucky, as his father Rick had a very successful run as Wildcats’ coach. He was once seen as a candidate to succeed his dad at Louisville, but that idea is gone now. But the Pitino name may still mean something in Lexington, if only as a highly speculative candidate to replace Calipari.

Go Gophers!!

Duke Basketball Report chimes in:

The article makes it clear that the writer doesn’t expect Calipari to be fired or to quit. However, the list is somewhat ludicrous in spots. Here they are, last to first:
  • Richard Pitino, Minnesota - Seriously? He’s having a good year but he’s been on the hot seat quite a bit. That’s not a likely candidate for the Kentucky job. If you’re going for a Pitino, why not, you know, make a splash and go after the real deal Pitino? The one you already know can get it done?

Go Gophers!!

Let's say any coach can have the very best talent possible. Then, taking away recruiting, how do you categorize and rate coaches in all the other aspects? Probably not the least of which, is on-court strategy.

How does Pitino rate in these other aspects, when you take away his abilities to bring players into the program?

What is Pitino's on-court strategy? And would that strategy win more other strategies if you equalize talent? (Or would all strategies win equally, with equal talent?)

Thing is Pitino's name will get mentioned in some of these articles based off his name. He's done more here that deserves firing than moving on...especially to a place like Kentucky.

He's not going to Kentucky. Florida could be a possibility if they move on from White and Billy Donovan has enough pull. I still don't see their fan base being excited by that one bit though.

This is laughable to even bring up his name here. For one, Richard plays it straight. That doesn't work there. They need someone that will bend the rules to get the very best talent available. They already have their slimeball.

He stays because the Gophers have been more than patient with him with extremely underwhelming results.
Hmm...I doubt your assessment.

If lightning strikes the Gophers and they make a run deep into the NCAA, say Elite Eight or Final Four, and a Blue Blood, Recruit as an afterthought, school came calling. Pitino would be a fool not to jump ship and move on.

Young coaches have to strike while the iron is hot or risk never getting the chance again. Plus, Rick wouldn't let him pass the opportunity up.

If lightning strikes the Gophers and they make a run deep into the NCAA, say Elite Eight or Final Four, and a Blue Blood, Recruit as an afterthought, school came calling. Pitino would be a fool not to jump ship and move on.

Young coaches have to strike while the iron is hot or risk never getting the chance again. Plus, Rick wouldn't let him pass the opportunity up.

I know. I am just saying that is what he should do. Have one good season out of how many and jump ship? If he does that, he will be hated here forever.

This is laughable to even bring up his name here. For one, Richard plays it straight. That doesn't work there. They need someone that will bend the rules to get the very best talent available. They already have their slimeball.
Kentucky doesn't need to bend the rules to get the best talent - they are essentially an NBA lite team that pumps out high draft picks. Just look at what Maxey and Quickley are doing this year (and that's not mentioning the other 20 players they have sent into the NBA in the last decade). Kids want to play for them because they know Kentucky offers something no other team can.

But, if he makes an Elite 8 or Final Four, he's pretty much got this job on lock. How much better are his alternatives really going to be?

I know. I am just saying that is what he should do. Have one good season out of how many and jump ship? If he does that, he will be hated here forever.
Worked for Lou Holtz

But, if he makes an Elite 8 or Final Four, he's pretty much got this job on lock. How much better are his alternatives really going to be?
Your right and he will not get a elite program job with either. Besides, make your own elite program.

If the Gophers do well this season, Pitino will likely have multiple options. I could see him at Florida, Miami, and even Syracuse if Boeheim is done. All three places have significant recruiting advantages and better track records of success. Campuses at Miami and Gainesville are knockouts and lets just forget about the weather. U Washington will likely open up as well, but that would be a lateral or below lateral move. The Kentucky scenario is far-fetched--today. Five years from now? Who knows? That scenario could only arise if Pitino has a run of successful years at Minnesota and I'd be fine with it.

If the Gophers do well this season, Pitino will likely have multiple options. I could see him at Florida, Miami, and even Syracuse if Boeheim is done. All three places have significant recruiting advantages and better track records of success. Campuses at Miami and Gainesville are knockouts and lets just forget about the weather. U Washington will likely open up as well, but that would be a lateral or below lateral move. The Kentucky scenario is far-fetched--today. Five years from now? Who knows? That scenario could only arise if Pitino has a run of successful years at Minnesota and I'd be fine with it.

I'm far from the biggest critic of Pitino on this board. In fact, I've probably been one of his biggest supporters. But why would Miami/Florida/Syracuse be interested in Pitino? Their standards are a higher bar than he has been able to attain to Minnesota. A hire at that level would include a pretty rosy projection and a big sell to those fan bases.

The guys at Syracuse and Florida will not be swayed by one good year. Follow all the coaches and assistants and one year does not move solid basketball minds. Florida has a better coach then we do.

I wonder if he’d have any success recruiting MN from another school. I’d guess not given the track record.

Anyone have any idea if strength of recruiting ties factors at all into coaching hires? Not their history of landing 4 or 5 str guys, necessarily, but how strong of relationships they have with aau and high school programs around the US.

In other words, is Pitino’s stock lower because he wouldn’t (presumably) be able to bring strong relationships from MN to another school?

This is a joke, right? Pitino at this point is more likely to next coach a mid major than he is a power 6 squad.

A lot depends on who is doing the hiring....Is it one guy? Is it a committee of 12?
Richard, I'm guessing interviews extremely well!! Young family guy. Plenty of influential
basketball people to endorse him. How well does the AD know Rick, Billy Donovan etc
Coaches don't always get hired because they have a system or a history of winning.
Same as NBA players get drafted for potential...same is true of coaches depending who is doing the hiring.
There a lot of circumstances that have squashed Gopher seasons that Richard can fairly easily explain away if the person hiring is intrigued enough to listen

I wonder if he’d have any success recruiting MN from another school. I’d guess not given the track record.

Anyone have any idea if strength of recruiting ties factors at all into coaching hires? Not their history of landing 4 or 5 str guys, necessarily, but how strong of relationships they have with aau and high school programs around the US.

In other words, is Pitino’s stock lower because he wouldn’t (presumably) be able to bring strong relationships from MN to another school?
Each school would have their own criteria...I'd think that one is far down the list. Would it be easier to get recruits to Miami or Minnesota? I can convince somebody I could recruit players to Miami or any warm weather beach area more easily than Minnesota.
Let's see Minnesota is in the Big Ten but it is 20 below during the basketball season.
Florida has a basketball team, you go to school for free and girls wear bikinis all year around.
Most guys are picking Florida or some place kinda warm.... ya, ya there is more to it but recruiting to Minnesota can't be easy to a high school kid.

A lot depends on who is doing the hiring....Is it one guy? Is it a committee of 12?
Richard, I'm guessing interviews extremely well!! Young family guy. Plenty of influential
basketball people to endorse him. How well does the AD know Rick, Billy Donovan etc
Coaches don't always get hired because they have a system or a history of winning.
Same as NBA players get drafted for potential...same is true of coaches depending who is doing the hiring.
There a lot of circumstances that have squashed Gopher seasons that Richard can fairly easily explain away if the person hiring is intrigued enough to listen
Most AD's will look at that explaining as excuses. His won-loss record speaks volumes. When in history has someone in a power 6 conference won so little been hired at another power 6 school ? Florida would never trade out White for Pitino. Why do people act like he is a hot commodity. First , win our conference !

Top Bottom