All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Wow, what a Debbie Downer post.

Richard Pitino has done nothing wrong. Not responding to every innuendo or rumor when his name pops up is his prerogative. Claims that he is actively seeking employment elsewhere are pure speculation with nothing to support them.

You could even argue that his name popping up is actually a positive for the program, as it implies he is a top young coach, which I believe he is. Pitino can address these issues with the only ones who really matter in all of this: the future recruits.

His father confirmed the speculation.

I agree with the posters who think that any allusion to actively pursuing the Alabama job is a significant negative. If that is true, and it's for any reason other than some huge salary upgrade, then it's time to begin considering parting ways; as just like Tubby, just like Glen Mason, this will end in slow death. You want and need a coach (or any employee, for that matter) who wants his job, just like you want a player who wants to be here.

cnc - it is obvious that the huge salary bump was the reason. If you are making a million a year and get offered two million - or are at least being considered for that, you have to consider it. My guess is that he made the calculus that if he was going to job hop again he better make darn sure it was to a place that almost guaranteed success or he would look pretty bad. I'd guess that Alabama was not a place he viewed to be a sure thing and not worth the gamble even if it did mean doubling the salary. If anything - he bet a lot that he can do better here than there...... if indeed the job was his for the taking.

cnc - it is obvious that the huge salary bump was the reason. If you are making a million a year and get offered two million - or are at least being considered for that, you have to consider it. My guess is that he made the calculus that if he was going to job hop again he better make darn sure it was to a place that almost guaranteed success or he would look pretty bad. I'd guess that Alabama was not a place he viewed to be a sure thing and not worth the gamble even if it did mean doubling the salary. If anything - he bet a lot that he can do better here than there...... if indeed the job was his for the taking.

Fair enough, but (1) I hope you're right, and (2) Minnesotans are suspicious, skeptical, and fickle...they fall off of the bandwagon of the disingenuous quickly. Both Pitinos should be smart enough to know that; and also to know that Richard will have his career set way back if he blows up this job. For that reason alone, any reason to have fans jump off the bandwagon, the media to light you afire, or for recruits to reject you, should be avoided. This was a bad career move, in my opinion; although the job-hopper always seems to get a pay raise whether they deserve one or, usually, not.

His father confirmed the speculation.

I think what you are all missing is the timeline. Richard found out he wasn't going to get the Alabama job. Then he told his dad he wasn't giving up, he was going to turn Minnesota around doggone it, rather than pout and dad was proud. Rick just embelished a little.

The old man should stay out the locker room too. Wait out in the hallway instead of coming in to get in front of the camera. Never did understand the whole Dad hanging around crap.

Elder Pitino has had nothing good to say about our program and it's quite discouraging; in fact, he's one of it's biggest bashers. This is not ok! Intentional or not, Richard absolutely needs to clear the air and set some things straight. Aside from complete subjection to nepotism, this is where he maybe grows his pants? I'm a cautious homer, for sure, but this just all rubs me the wrong way and i'd rather be done with it sooner than later. Find someone who wants to be here, please.

You're so full of **** its hysterical. You have no evidence to support your claim that pitino is actively seeking employment. Dorsey a top 100 recruit.

I have no evidence other than his father said that he was. Dorsey's rankings range from 80 to 119. Does that make him a consensus top 100 recruit? If so, he's the only one.

What in the world is your obsession with Ben Johnson?

Not an obsession. He's bright, young, on the front lines of recruiting and local. The local angle probably buys a little bit of loyalty and some extra time before he looks for the next gig. I'm looking for competence and continuity and I think he's a decent candidate. I do think Pitino is a decent coach, but there is no continuity, so he's bad for recruiting and the program.

The main point is that this is not normal. Coaches DO NOT leave B1G jobs! Minnesota is not a stepping stone, it is a destination job. No, it is not a Kentucky or Duke, but it can be built into a nationally recognized program just like MSU. It needs the right coach to set the attitude and expectations. I really believe that Pitino is the right coach. He was hired based upon those expectations and he knows. If he now thinks it is too big of a job for him to accomplish then he is not "worthy" of the challenge and needs to find an cake assistant jobs somewhere in the limelight. I hope he doesn't quit on us and builds his own legacy here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main point is that this is not normal. Coaches DO NOT leave B1G jobs! Minnesota is not a stepping stone, it is a destination job. No, it is not a Kentucky or Duke, but it can be built into a nationally recognized program just like MSU. It needs the right coach to set the attitude and expectations. I really believe that Pitino is the right coach. He was hired based upon those expectations and he knows. If he now thinks it is too big of a job for him to accomplish then he is not "worthy" of the challenge and needs to find an cake assistant jobs somewhere in the limelight. I hope he doesn't quit on us and builds his own legacy here. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that Minnesota is currently considered a destination job. However, it can be and it should be. Pitino's widely perceived restlessness reflects poorly on both himself and the program.

For now folks; we have a coach. Barring something bizarre, he is with us for the next year. Good. He has a nice recruiting class coming in. Good. After next year, he is not going to get swept into this same discussion unless next year is surprisingly good. If he does a great job and makes the tourney with next year's really young club- he's done his job and I am happy that the future is bright. Let's be a little optimistic, this is supposed to be for enjoyment.

There is only one real thing that keeps Minnesota from being on the same level as UW. That is hiring the right coach. UW does have better facilities but much of that can be overcome with great coaching. Minnesota is a perfect job to prove your a great coach. What a great opportunity for Pitino jr. Now lets find out if he is that guy. Make this a great program Jr., you have been given the chance, now earn your way.

For now folks; we have a coach. Barring something bizarre, he is with us for the next year. Good. He has a nice recruiting class coming in. Good. After next year, he is not going to get swept into this same discussion unless next year is surprisingly good. If he does a great job and makes the tourney with next year's really young club- he's done his job and I am happy that the future is bright. Let's be a little optimistic, this is supposed to be for enjoyment.

Lets hope that you are right.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That is one piece of A in front of Richard.

I think this conversation has gotten a bit convoluted and cluttered. I think it would benefit everyone to take a step back and realize what the world is like that we are living in.

When Richard Pitino was hired 2 short years ago, we all said, who!?!?! I remember actually reading the headline wrong thinking that we hired another legendary coach of the storied UK program in the sunset of his career. I was as excited as I was the day we hired Tubby (which was extremely excited by the way) only to re-read the headline and realize we got a young, unproven, coach with a prestigious name. I had mixed emotions.

Fast forward through his welcoming speech where I grew attached to his charisma, his ability to add a couple players to the team in very short notice albeit with very little fanfare or star power. I was excited for what the change in style and added youthful exuberance from a young "up and coming" coach could provide or add to our program.

I recall very similar conversations and "hope" being portrayed throughout this board there were also the negatives to Richard. Very few thought Richards resume netted him a big 10 coaching job. And almost all understood the name had a lot to play in him getting to where he was today. However, I do believe a lot of us saw a stark change in what we were accustomed to from any of our previous coaches (not just the predecessor) in style with coaching and with the media that gave us hope that this guy could reach that next generation players and net positives on the recruiting trail.

That all said. Is it inconceivable for another program to see Richard in that same light? Regardless of the results, I would argue his resume is neither significantly better or worse than it was when he landed the Minnesota job. Could Florida see Richard as a familiar name not only in Richard having previously worked there but also having a coaching legend as a father and think that would be better than the other options? Could Alabama have a very similar opinion of Richard in that the potential and marketing aspects outweigh the negatives that his resume may bring? I think the answer is obviously they could, but we don't know if they DID.

And that brings me to my point....

We live in an age where the above playing out in the minds of someone sitting behind the computer could snowball into a myriad of misreports and misconceptions. The concept in the game "telephone" has been compounded exponentially in the twitter age and the age of breaking news before it even has become news. Compound that concept with the likes of Dicky-V having an absolute man-crush on Richard and you've got yourself an internet sh1t storm of infinite possibilities for origins of rumors. I think it's quite the stretch for anyone on this board to say for certain that Richard Pitino is "shopping his name" or "looking for a job" and then point to the fact his name is coming up on the internet for every power 5 job that opens up. That's what happens when your name is Pitino.

Anyone with expectations of Richard to come out and deny every report that pops up with his name in a search are kidding themselves. Richard has a financial benefit not only in this coaching job but in any other future possibilities to have his name in those conversations. Do I wish he would squash all the rumors? Absolutely..... Will he? Doubt it.

We live in an age where the above playing out in the minds of someone sitting behind the computer could snowball into a myriad of misreports and misconceptions. The concept in the game "telephone" has been compounded exponentially in the twitter age and the age of breaking news before it even has become news. Compound that concept with the likes of Dicky-V having an absolute man-crush on Richard and you've got yourself an internet sh1t storm of infinite possibilities for origins of rumors. I think it's quite the stretch for anyone on this board to say for certain that Richard Pitino is "shopping his name" or "looking for a job" and then point to the fact his name is coming up on the internet for every power 5 job that opens up. That's what happens when your name is Pitino.

Anyone with expectations of Richard to come out and deny every report that pops up with his name in a search are kidding themselves. Richard has a financial benefit not only in this coaching job but in any other future possibilities to have his name in those conversations. Do I wish he would squash all the rumors? Absolutely..... Will he? Doubt it.

Good post.

All we know at this point is what Rick Pitino said yesterday, which was unfortunate on many fronts. Whether what he said was true, embellished, or mis-understood, the HOF coach went on a very popular national radio show and said his son seriously considered the Alabama job, and that he then said he doesn't deserve that kind of job yet. He also apparently said that Richard is committed to turning it around here.

I wish he had just said the latter, but he didn't. Any other tweet, rumor, article, etc is pure guessing. We only can go on what Rick said, which is unfortunate.

Looking forward to wrapping up this 2015 recruiting class and hopefully bringing in a strong group for 2016!

The team will be on their international trip in just a few short months.

Go Gophers!!

There is only one real thing that keeps Minnesota from being on the same level as UW. That is hiring the right coach. UW does have better facilities but much of that can be overcome with great coaching. Minnesota is a perfect job to prove your a great coach. What a great opportunity for Pitino jr. Now lets find out if he is that guy. Make this a great program Jr., you have been given the chance, now earn your way.

+1

I am not making any claims here. I'm just stating the situation. If next year is bad. He goes on the hot seat list.

Once the new practice facility is built, which hopefully will be close to opening by this time next year, it's hard to see a coach leaving voluntarily for anything but one of the very top blueblood jobs. You're in the Big Ten, you have brand new top notch facilities, you're the only D1 school in a state that produces a reasonable amount of basketball talent, and you have an AD committed to the basketball program. It's a great job.

On the flip side, that'll make the seat that much hotter if things aren't going well.

Good post.

All we know at this point is what Rick Pitino said yesterday, which was unfortunate on many fronts. Whether what he said was true, embellished, or mis-understood, the HOF coach went on a very popular national radio show and said his son seriously considered the Alabama job, and that he then said he doesn't deserve that kind of job yet. He also apparently said that Richard is committed to turning it around here.

I wish he had just said the latter, but he didn't. Any other tweet, rumor, article, etc is pure guessing. We only can go on what Rick said, which is unfortunate.

Of course Richard is going to consider other jobs as they become available, can't blame him or anyone for that.

"I would have been out the door in a second.”

- Rick insinuating if he was the coach at MN and a job like Bama came up, he would take it without question doesn't help anyone.

tino.sr.JPG

I wonder if elder Pitino was somehow strangely thinking he his comments would help apply pressure for the facilities?

That aside, I can't see why him saying anything about Richard "almost leaving" helps at all... with anything.

Once the new practice facility is built, which hopefully will be close to opening by this time next year, it's hard to see a coach leaving voluntarily for anything but one of the very top blueblood jobs. You're in the Big Ten, you have brand new top notch facilities, you're the only D1 school in a state that produces a reasonable amount of basketball talent, and you have an AD committed to the basketball program. It's a great job.

+1

Hopefully we actually break ground by August. If so, it will be a huge boost to basketball and football.

Of course Richard is going to consider other jobs as they become available, can't blame him or anyone for that.

"I would have been out the door in a second.”

- Rick insinuating if he was the coach at MN and a job like Bama came up, he would take it without question doesn't help anyone.

View attachment 3491

FOR AN EXTRA MILLION A YEAR.

That's the only bit that would make Alabama a job that you would take in a second- and Pitino may well have meant it that way.

Top Bottom