All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

I am starting to dislike the elder Pitino. He needs to shut up about pretty much anything to do with his son. Is it so hard to say: "I am proud of him but whatever he does with his career is his decision. Please ask him."

He is a F*cking helicopter parent. How does that make Rich Pitino feel at age 32?

Who knows if dad got it right, or if Richard's comments to his dad were different than what he would have told Alabama or the press. I wager everyone had told their parents one thing but it wasn't the whole story, or have had a parent blurt out something you would have preferred they kept to themselves. I'm not going to get caught up in how coaching searches play out, especially since we only ever seem to get 3rd hand information.

I am a Richard bobo. I have been backing him 100% and believing his comments about wanting by to build a program here. The not deserving comment really pisses me off!!! I sure hope it is taking out of context in meaning that he has not done enough to be thinking about moving anywhere and not that the is not worthy of the vaulted "Alabama" job. But Minnesota is low enough for him.

I agree, Papa Rick needs to shut his mouth about Richard's inner thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with those who say Rick needs to shut his yap. Have a feeling that will be difficult for Rick with his massive ego.

Let your son do his job. He's a big boy. He can speak for himself.

I am a Richard bobo. I have been backing him 100% and believing his comments about wanting by to build a program here. The not deserving comment really pisses me off!!! I sure hope it is taking out of context in meaning that he has not done enough to be thinking about moving anywhere and not that the is not worthy of the vaulted "Alabama" job. But Minnesota is low enough for him.

I agree, Papa Rick needs to shut his mouth about Richard's inner thoughts.

My guess is that it is more about the big jump in money to a $2 million type of job than Bama versus Minny. I am hoping he has thought it through and wants to move up the ladder the right way. Win one place and then decide whether to stay put or move on. Taking a job and leaving a mess for the quick cash is not the right way to go. Do that twice and your reputation is done for.

I'm definitely not thrilled by those comments. I'm sure Richard is pretty upset with his dad over this. These comments aren't something you want fans, boosters, and recruits to hear.

Honestly, I started as a big fan of hiring Richard when it first happened. He said all the right things, seemed honest about the state of the program and genuinely invested in turning things around. As this last season wore on though, and with adversity, i struggled to watch what i saw as his 'ugly side' coming out; i've been less impressed since this started to happen. After the last few rounds of comments, previously by his father, and now this with the both of them? I am becomming sour on the Pitino name altogether. This is HORRIBLE press, and for everyone involved with the program. I can't even imagine why either would go public with these comments. I feel zero confidence in our coach after reading those quotes. All of Gopher Nation just got slapped in the face. Now that the Gophers got his name out there with the hire, does Sr. want Jr. chased out so he doesn't have to leave of his own accord? Can't imagine how the players must feel as Rick throws them all under the bus while Richard dreams of his next move.

I don't comment too much but I just wanted to share. I never had looked at this thread before because I was of the belief that Pitino would likely be here for a bit before he looked to greener pastures--if he did decide to at all. His promises of turning the program around made me a believer. Those comments are nothing short of a HUGE slap in the face. It's not fun to hear that little Richard is using Gopher fans and players faces as a stepping stone to better things. Keep those things to yourself Pitino Sr. If I was a recruit and heard or read those comments then I wouldn't trust Pitino and wouldn't commit to a program where the coach may be leaving as soon as a school as lowly, yes, lowly as Alabama bball comes calling. Ugh. I'm disgusted.

Lets play the what if game.

What if Richard said "I haven't deserved to be in consideration for other jobs" (I just lost 12 games in the B1G) and Rick then says "He hasn't deserved to be in the conversation for Alabama"???

Possible... Plausible? It's what I'm telling myself how it went down.

I don't comment too much but I just wanted to share. I never had looked at this thread before because I was of the belief that Pitino would likely be here for a bit before he looked to greener pastures--if he did decide to at all. His promises of turning the program around made me a believer. Those comments are nothing short of a HUGE slap in the face. It's not fun to hear that little Richard is using Gopher fans and players faces as a stepping stone to better things. Keep those things to yourself Pitino Sr. If I was a recruit and heard or read those comments then I wouldn't trust Pitino and wouldn't commit to a program where the coach may be leaving as soon as a school as lowly, yes, lowly as Alabama bball comes calling. Ugh. I'm disgusted.

Agree. I'm not worried about the "I don't deserve it part." I get what he's trying to say. But I know what I'd be thinking if I'm a recruit and I read, "Richard was seriously considering making that move."

Seriously consider Florida and stay? That would make me feel great about his future here. Seriously considered Bama? That tells me he has one foot out the door.

Now it is laughable. He was not considered for Alabama and is not considered for Florida. Sr. is making things much worse for his son by trying to make him look good. Let go, he can handle himself. Senior must be dying inside that his kid has not proven anything close to what attracts promotion.

Rick and Rich must be such a headache for Norwood behind the scenes. I don't believe a word of what Rick said. This confirms that Richard tried hard for the Alabama job and didn't get it.

What cocky, young HC says I'm not worthy of a better job?

Rick and Rich must be such a headache for Norwood behind the scenes. I don't believe a word of what Rick said. This confirms that Richard tried hard for the Alabama job and didn't get it.

What cocky, young HC says I'm not worthy of a better job?

I am still giving Rich the benefit of the doubt but I agree that Norwood is probably tired of this. Why should Mo Walker's Mom be quiet when the coaches Daddy is whining to the media? Rick's helicopter parenting sets a bad example for parents of the players.

Rick should shut up for a long, long while. His son's coaching legacy will be determined by wins and losses- not parental whining.

Now it is laughable. He was not considered for Alabama and is not considered for Florida. Sr. is making things much worse for his son by trying to make him look good. Let go, he can handle himself. Senior must be dying inside that his kid has not proven anything close to what attracts promotion.

It's becoming quite clear that this job was never intended to be more than a 12-24 month gig. The fact that young Rich underachieved and may have to stay an extra year or two as a result must be killing the clan. If the gophers finish below .500 in the B1G again I hope Norwood fires both of the Pitinos. Not worth the trouble.

Norwood and Richard need to come out immediately and clarify these comments. All the die hard fans I know have just jumped off the bandwagon!!!!! Louisville or maybe Florida I can see maybe not SEC bottom feeder Alabama.

Norwood and Richard need to come out immediately and clarify these comments. All the die hard fans I know have just jumped off the bandwagon!!!!! Louisville or maybe Florida I can see maybe not SEC bottom feeder Alabama.

I think we already have that clarification. His silence for two weeks when his name was mentioned for the first wave of jobs was very telling, while others (see Kevin Ollie) come out immediately and remove their name from consideration. His non-denial denial statement via his Twitter account was also very telling. I'm fortunate to blah blah blah is very different than I'm not leaving my job this year.

Rick's comments are odd at best or very calculated at worst. Both Pitinos come from a very different/transparent school of thought. I, for one, would rather hear about these things than the usual cliche garbage that we typically see in the media.

I think we already have that clarification. His silence for two weeks when his name was mentioned for the first wave of jobs was very telling, while others (see Kevin Ollie) come out immediately and remove their name from consideration. His non-denial denial statement via his Twitter account was also very telling. I'm fortunate to blah blah blah is very different than I'm not leaving my job this year.

Rick's comments are odd at best or very calculated at worst. Both Pitinos come from a very different/transparent school of thought. I, for one, would rather hear about these things than the usual cliche garbage that we typically see in the media.

Agree with the bolded. Young Rich has been actively seeking employment elsewhere, but nobody wants him. Perhaps we should add ourselves to the list. None of the recruits are top 100 and I'd be willing to take the chance that Ben Johnson could talk them into staying.

Agree with the bolded. Young Rich has been actively seeking employment elsewhere, but nobody wants him. Perhaps we should add ourselves to the list. None of the recruits are top 100 and I'd be willing to take the chance that Ben Johnson could talk them into staying.

You're so full of **** its hysterical. You have no evidence to support your claim that pitino is actively seeking employment. Dorsey a top 100 recruit.

Yeah. At this point it may be better to have a different young coach that wants to stay.

What in the world is your obsession with Ben Johnson?

Wow, what a Debbie Downer post.

Richard Pitino has done nothing wrong. Not responding to every innuendo or rumor when his name pops up is his prerogative. Claims that he is actively seeking employment elsewhere are pure speculation with nothing to support them.

You could even argue that his name popping up is actually a positive for the program, as it implies he is a top young coach, which I believe he is. Pitino can address these issues with the only ones who really matter in all of this: the future recruits.

Are you seriously advocating we fire Richard? Wow. To the ignore list you go!

Rich P. not in top ten for Fla. Gig. Fired Coach Dickie V is wrong as usual...feel free to drink his kool aid but check back when it is all said and done you will see TBT was right.
Mike White will be the new men's basketball coach of the Florida Gators, the school announced Thursday. TBT knows the truth and sees through the hype and drama that others fall for and the media whores like Vitale spew ...

GH never ceases to amaze. Somewhat weary of this but you can't possibly think we'd be better off starting over again instead of riding this out. I don't have that many rebuilds left.

I will say Richard is now squandering a lot of good will much like he has scholarships. Job hunting or the perception of it made it much easier to cut Mason and Tubby loose.

I agree with the posters who think that any allusion to actively pursuing the Alabama job is a significant negative. If that is true, and it's for any reason other than some huge salary upgrade, then it's time to begin considering parting ways; as just like Tubby, just like Glen Mason, this will end in slow death. You want and need a coach (or any employee, for that matter) who wants his job, just like you want a player who wants to be here.

Top Bottom