All Things New Williams Arena Ticket Program - Seat Selection Guide, Dates, Results

I received some information from the Gophers Points staff earlier this week and am passing along for those interested. When I read page 6 of the Spring 2012 brochure, I saw a season ticket price of $627 (for Zone 1), based on 20 games (18 regular season games and 2 exhibitions). However, on page 12 ("Pricing Comparisons") the brochure said "based on a 20-game home schedule, the season ticket cost for a 2012-13 Gopher men's basketball season ticket will be..." and gave a different (calculated) figure than page 6 did.

Some answers I received and comments I have are below. The examples are using Zone 1 (highest donation level of $400).

PRICING
As we know, the schedule is not yet set. Per the Gophers Points office, the pricing is as follows (for Zone 1 as an example):
Regular season games: $33
Exhibition games: $16.50

Therefore, the $627 listed on page 6 would be accurate if there are 18 real games scheduled along with 2 exhibitions. The Gophers Points office told me that while $627 will be charged initially, if there are fewer games played they will issue a refund.

HOW MANY GAMES ARE LIKELY?
Last season the Gophers played 19 regular season home games and 2 exhibitions. I'd love to see the exhibition games scrapped, but let's concentrate on the real games:

As the Gophers have 3 games schedule for the Battle 4 Atlantis, the highest number of regular season home games they could play are 19 in 2012-13. Some things that might knock that number of home games down:

1) If Minnesota can't find another Battle 4 Atlantis participant to come to Williams Arena, the maximum games allowable for the Gophers drops from 31 and 30. Thus, as compared to last year Old Spice Classic participant Fairfield visited The Barn, Minnesota would have one less home game.

2) If Minnesota travels to USC for a road game, that is one less home game.

3) If Minnesota plays on the road against an ACC team, that is one less home game.

Add in other possibilities, and it seems very possible that Minnesota will play fewer than 18 real games at home and that number may be 16 or lower.

COMPARISON ON PAGE 12

If you want Gopher tickets, you should get them. End of story. This isn't a huge deal to me, but I don't care for the "Comparative pricing" that the U listed out on page 12. The comparison they provided makes me interested in a deeper study of ticket pricing in the Big Ten.

It says that "the price of a prime seat located 10 rows up at mid-court will cost:" and shows the Gophers at $53 per game and Nebraska at $57 per game.
Most people aren't as strange as I can be and will look it over and say, "oh, look - we're getting a better deal than those guys at Nebraska! Awesome!" and move on.

A few things before I get into the numbers:
Nebraska has exactly one section with its highest donation level, and it's only from rows 8 to 18. Technically, it is center court and row 10 falls in there, but Minnesota's $400 donation level spans a far greater area. The Gophers are comparing their Zone 1 to Nebraska's $750 donation section.

Nebraska will be moving into a beautiful new arena in one year. They have said they want plan to keep pricing the same... we'll see what happens with donation levels, but it's fair to note that the Gophers are comparing themselves to a school who recognizes they need a new arena and have acted accordingly.

Nebraska is new to the Big Ten. Is this really the best comparison?

Nebraska's ticket prices are far less expensive and their required donations are considerably higher. The favorable tax treatment results in a bottom line advantage for Nebraska season ticket holders over Minnesota's. As page 12 notes, "reminder, your annual gift is 80% tax deductible". However, when it compares ticket pricing it fails to take this into account.

Doc Sadler has wisely had his teams participate in some closed-door scrimmages instead of exhibition games over the years, while Minnesota season ticket holders have been forced to purchase tickets to see 2 exhibition games. With the coaching change and a new year upon us, I don't know if that will hold true again in 2012-13, but it's worthy of note from a season ticket holder comparison perspective.

NUMBERS!
There are many ways to look at this, but here's what I'm doing for this year:

Assume 2 exhibition games. $33. Fine, it's a price you pay for being a season ticket holder. Some other schools don't have exhibitions, so I'll look at this separately and be done with it.

Now, will the Gophers' ever really average $53 per game for regular season games? It's unlikely. 19 home games - like last year - is probably as high as it'll ever get.
19 games: $54.05 per game ([$33 x 19] + $400)

Now, what if the Gophers only have 16 real games at home this year?
16 games: $58 per game ([$33 x 16] + $400)

That's an increase of 7%, caused by the implied increase in donation-per-game of 19%.

WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN
Not much at all, except that I think the tax-effected cost of being a Minnesota season ticket holder can actually be higher than that of a Nebraska season ticket holder and the Huskers aren't a great comparison in the first place.

The key in all of the above is that the cost per game to season ticket holders is planned at $33 / game ($16.50 / exhibition) and refunds are expected if the number of games billed (18 regular season, 2 exhibition games) in the early summer turns out to be higher than the number of games actually played.

The way it looks is that they are claiming that the donation is distributed evenly across ALL tickets rather than being applied to tickets based on their total percentage of the season ticket cost.

That adds up.

20 home games (2 @ $16.50 + 18 @ $33) = $627 + $400 = $53/regular game

The way it looks is that they are claiming that the donation is distributed evenly across ALL tickets rather than being applied to tickets based on their total percentage of the season ticket cost.

That adds up.

20 home games (2 @ $16.50 + 18 @ $33) = $627 + $400 = $53/regular game

The inconsistency then would be that page 6 shows a 20 game season based on 18 + 2, whereas page 12 shows a 20 game season based on 20 + 0. Math doesn't work. They're different.

Also - it doesn't look like they are claiming that the donation is distributed evenly across ALL tickets. "53 per game (includes season ticket cost + $400 annual gift" is what page 12 says. Therefore, they are actually implying that the donation is distributed evenly across regular season games and only regular season games.

The inconsistency then would be that page 6 shows a 20 game season based on 18 + 2, whereas page 12 shows a 20 game season based on 20 + 0. Math doesn't work. They're different.

Also - it doesn't look like they are claiming that the donation is distributed evenly across ALL tickets. "53 per game (includes season ticket cost + $400 annual gift" is what page 12 says. Therefore, they are actually implying that the donation is distributed evenly across regular season games and only regular season games.

Where do you get that "page 12 shows a 20 game season based on 20 + 0"?

The only text I see addressing this on page 12:
- "Based on a 20-game home schedule, the season ticket cost...will be:"
- "* New price per game per ticket includes total ticket price + annual gift divided by 20 games."

An exhibition home game is a home game, like it or not. That's how I read it...and it just so happens that when you read it that way the numbers add up to perfection.

The only missing nugget was the cost of an exhibition game. And that cost fits in perfectly.

Where do you get that "page 12 shows a 20 game season based on 20 + 0"?

The only text I see addressing this on page 12:
- "Based on a 20-game home schedule, the season ticket cost...will be:"
- "* New price per game per ticket includes total ticket price + annual gift divided by 20 games."

An exhibition home game is a home game, like it or not. That's how I read it...and it just so happens that when you read it that way the numbers add up to perfection.

The only missing nugget was the cost of an exhibition game. And that cost fits in perfectly.

Huh?
Page 6: 20 games = $1,027 total cost, or $51.35.
Page 12: 20 games x $53 per game = $1,060 total cost.

Page 6 shows 18 real games + two exhibition games.
Page 12 shows 20 real games.

Inconsistent.

It says that "the price of a prime seat located 10 rows up at mid-court will cost:" and shows the Gophers at $53 per game and Nebraska at $57 per game.
Most people aren't as strange as I can be and will look it over and say, "oh, look - we're getting a better deal than those guys at Nebraska! Awesome!" and move on.

Nebraska has exactly one section with its highest donation level, and it's only from rows 8 to 18. Technically, it is center court and row 10 falls in there, but Minnesota's $400 donation level spans a far greater area. The Gophers are comparing their Zone 1 to Nebraska's $750 donation section.

Thanks for your analysis, GW. I alluded to this before - Joel cherry-picked the details that would seem to support his position (hence the Nebraska example), but, when taken at full face value, the data presented in the brochure is misleading at best (outright lies at worst). I wonder why he didn't mention that center court seats in row 10 at Breslin Center (at least in half of the arena) are devoted to students. Furthermore, the premium donation sections for each pricing tier are much larger for Williams Arena than for Breslin Center (i.e. our $400 area involves more seats than MSU and our $250 area involves more seats that MSU, etc. If you picked equivalent seating areas throughout the 2 arenas, there are no examples where MSU has higher premium fees than us and numerous areas where our premium fees are higher.

I think it's tough to compare MSU and Minn exactly because of the student seating at Breslin.

With Williams as it is now, student seating in the first 10 rows all the way around would not work because:
- Students stand the entire game, which means...
- The people in the row right behind the students would need to stand to see anything, which means...
- The people in the row right behind them would need to stand to see anything, which means...
- The people in row 25 would need to stand to see anything, which means...
- The people in rows 26 and back would not be able to see any of the game due to the upper deck cutting off their vision of the court.

Breslin center has that height jump from the student section to the non-student section so that students can stand without interfering with anyone.

Actually, there are plenty of examples where MSU has higher premiums...
- Our section 101 has no premium. MSU's equivalent is $125/seat.
- Our sections 102 and 120 have a premium of $100. Again, MSU's equivalent is $125.
- And MSU courtside seating requires a $250,000 donation history. Just a guess, but I'm going to say ours might be a little cheaper.

Joel cherry-picked the details that would seem to support his position (hence the Nebraska example), but, when taken at full face value, the data presented in the brochure is misleading at best (outright lies at worst).

As I look into this a bit more, unfortunately I agree that the brochure is misleading at best. Good thing for the U that most people won't take a few moments to really understand the information/disinformation, but for people like us that look at it, it is a bit disappointing. I understand trying to sell what you're doing it, but some of the bad information in there feels pretty slimy.

Looking at the Michigan State comparison... I think a great seat to have for Gopher games would be at the top of the three-point arc, 15 rows up in the lower level. Minnesota fans will pay 32% more than Michigan State fans in the scenario of an 18-game (home) regular season for both teams.

I don't think there is anyway around it - the U is charging a lot compared to other Big Ten schools. Again, I can deal with that... just don't like that the story coming out from the U is misleading (at best). Par for the course, though...

per Shooter:

"The University of Minnesota's preferred seating program for Gophers men's basketball at Williams Arena and men's hockey at Mariucci Arena got underway this week.

Choice of seats will depend on a merit system and donations beyond the cost of tickets. The range of donations for games at Williams Arena will be between $100 and $400 per ticket per season. The range for games at Mariucci Arena will be between $100 and $300 per ticket per season.

Reaction from Gophers fans has been mixed. The new donation policy is expected to raise about $1 million annually for the Gophers athletics department. The revenue will be used for state-of-the-art video scoreboards for both arenas next season."

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_20365224/ozzie-guillen-wasnt-thinking-cuba-native-and-ex

Go Gophers!!

Mixed? Does he mean mixed between "We hate this" and "We REALLY hate this"?

Nooram, where'd you find this? Does this mean we can start poking around the web site? I tried my user name and password (why does it say pin number?) and it didn't work. Also, from Gopher Points site I still can't access seat selection view.

Never mind. ... I see that the link is valid only for actual seat selection date.

question here - we're #160 to pick, but there are 706 seats to be selected before us. This works out to 4.4 seats per account holder. Seems like a lot to me - are seats reserved for the athletic dept included in this?

Nooram, where'd you find this? Does this mean we can start poking around the web site? I tried my user name and password (why does it say pin number?) and it didn't work. Also, from Gopher Points site I still can't access seat selection view.

Never mind. ... I see that the link is valid only for actual seat selection date.

Crap. I was hoping they'd also have a released version like they do for TCF where you could just look for fun.

Crap. I was hoping they'd also have a released version like they do for TCF where you could just look for fun.

My understanding is it'll be like the football seat selection. We'll be able to log in any time prior to our selection date to see which seats are filling up so we're as prepared as possible when it's our turn to select? I hope that's the case.

My understanding is it'll be like the football seat selection. We'll be able to log in any time prior to our selection date to see which seats are filling up so we're as prepared as possible when it's our turn to select? I hope that's the case.

I think that guide actually encouraged people to go on and test out the site so they would be comfortable with it by the time seat selection actually began.

One of the several bizarre things about the guide is that the screen shot of the Basketball Gopher Points screen and what's truly on the website are different (guide = seat selection; actual = donate more to the program) and you can't test out the site. Hopefully it's available soon.. really strange that it's not available now.

A buddy sent me the hockey link - I just substituted the word "basketball" for "hockey" and got here. No idea how to sign in, though!

Well, as a non STH I'll have to wait a little longer until it's online for all. It's so lame, I know how things look from many seats in The Barn yet I still get a kick out of playing with a tool like that. Must be the fact that I don't get to many games now that I live in Madison.

question here - we're #160 to pick, but there are 706 seats to be selected before us. This works out to 4.4 seats per account holder. Seems like a lot to me - are seats reserved for the athletic dept included in this?

The following was given to me by a fellow season ticket holder:

"There are 2325 seats in the lower level and 317 seats in the upper level, which fall under the $400 donation seating price."

That adds up to just 2642 seats in this category. If the number of $400.00 seats is acurate and indeed the rate is 4.4 seats per selection ( I would imagine most of those picking early will want to keep the premium seats) then the first 600 pickers will eat up most all of the premium seats. I realize the last 200 or so of those will likely switch to the best $250.00 premium seats but by #850 I bet all that's left are the worst of the best if any. I am not liking my chances of improving.

Does my logic work?

Does my logic work?

Not sure, but you may be underestimating the frugality of some. If you're at 850 I think you'll have some decent options.

I'd guess the 4.4 number may include some blocked off seating.. average for all season ticket accounts, I thought, was under 3... 4.4 would be quite a large deviation.. probably too large.. To be explained without some non-open seats being included... but, need to look at the numbers again

Heck, I'm just over 5,000 (seat ranking) and I'm optimistic I'll get some decent seats. I know there's roughly 6,000 chairbacks so for sure there will be some available when I select, and I don't think everyone will automatically go for the $400 & $250 seats. I'm assuming that a lot of the (frugal) long-timers who've never had to pay anything extra for their seats will gobble up the no-donation seats in Section 101, right behind the basket.

From the Gopher website:

There are roughly 4,800 chairbacks in the lower level.
There are roughly 1,200 chairbacks in the upper level.

I figured out a way to see the virtual seating map for basketball:

Sign on to mygophersports.com account
go to My Account
go to Check Your Gopher Points
scroll down to the Men's Hockey area
right-click on the Select Your Seats link and Copy Link Location
Paste the URL in your browser's address area
Substitute "hockey" with "basketball" in the URL address
hit enter

this worked for me - showed my account, when I select and virtual views from parts of every section of the arena
no guarantees it will work for you

Works for me using the above method. Pretty realistic view!

I see section 203 (166 seats) is completely blocked off. What's that for?

I also see the student section is marked as "available". They still have some work to do...

I figured out a way to see the virtual seating map for basketball:

Sign on to mygophersports.com account (OK)
go to My Account (OK)
go to Check Your Gopher Points (OK)
scroll down to the Men's Hockey area (OK)
right-click on the Select Your Seats link and Copy Link Location (I left clicked to bring up hockey seat selection page)
Paste the URL in your browser's address area (didn't need to do this)
Substitute "hockey" with "basketball" in the URL address (OK)
hit enter (OK)

this worked for me - showed my account, when I select and virtual views from parts of every section of the arena
no guarantees it will work for you

I used this path and was able to get to basketball page (except I left clicked instead of right clicked on hockey "select your seats"), but the basketball page said their records indicated I wasn't a basketball season-ticket holder.

SS - make sure to right click & Copy Link Location... I did the same as you at first, with the same result

Thanks GW. Still can't get the darn thing to work. I don' get anything that says "copy link location" after I right click on hockey's select your seats. ... am I supposed to?

Top Bottom