All Things Kyle Washington Thread - UPDATED (9/23): Commits to North Carolina State

The last paragraph doesn't look good for many reasons:

Washington Plans Louisville visit; still formulating list

Kyle Washington is a 6-foot-9 PF that attends Hotchkiss School in Connecticut during the school year. The Minnesota native has come East for prep school and is wide-open at this time in his recruitment and still trying to put together a list of schools he will consider, although one is slated to receive a visit he told NBE.

“I’m coming out with my list probably two weeks after this event [and] I’m trying go set up visits,” Washington said on Friday. “I’m about to go to Louisville in late June probably.”

He spoke of his growing relationship with Rick Pitino.

“Coach Pitno and I are growing our relationship every day,” he said.

Washington aims to make a decision before next season and the early signing period. He also mentioned Wisconsin, Washington, Marquette, Notre Dame, Baylor, Xavier and Florida as schools on his mind right now. He also mentioned that Kansas and Connecticut have recently gotten involved as well. Also expect his hometown Minnesota Golden Gophers, among others, to be involved as well. He mentioned all schools are even right now in the process.

In addition to visiting Louisville, he also will visit another Big East school in the coming weeks.

“Notre Dame is really intriguing because they have great education [and] great basketball,” he said. “I like their recruiting class in 2012 and talking to a lot of people here they’re interested in them…and it’s in the Midwest too.

In June I’m figuring out the date [that I’ll visit Notre Dame].”

He hinted of being interested in returning to South Bend in the fall for a visit.

“That would be really exciting if I made it out to a football game. Notre Dame football is huge.”

Washington also talked of another Midwest program that has been with him for a few years now and he will take that into strong consideration in the process.

“I love Wisconsin,” he said. “They’ve supported me since my freshman year. When I was really a no-name. I’ve been there a lot. I’ve already talked to the coaches and I told them I just want to visit schools at this point and compare and contrast, but they’re always going to stay in the top.”

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/201...ll-camp-friday-afternoon-recruiting-notebook/

Go Gophers!!

Can he stand on the perimeter and knock down jump shots? Why would he want to go to Wisconsin?

Well if he goes to Wisconsin, atleast according to espn were recruiting higher rated guys anyways. I think people want Washington because he's the only legit Minnesotan in his class. http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2013/page/considering
Personally I'd like to land Nick Fuller, Sterling Brown, Goodluck Okonoboh, or Tory Miller, or 3/4, one of them being Brown and than bank the extra scholly on 2014 . Miller has Washington by 40 lbs and who wouldn't want a guy named Goodluck on their team. :)

Marcus tweet:

"Gopher PF target Kyle Washington measured 6-8 1/2 with shoes, had 6-11 1/2 wingspan and weighed 211 lbs at Amare Stoudemire Camp in Chicago."

Go Gophers!!

Well if he goes to Wisconsin, atleast according to espn were recruiting higher rated guys anyways. I think people want Washington because he's the only legit Minnesotan in his class. http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2013/page/considering
Personally I'd like to land Nick Fuller, Sterling Brown, Goodluck Okonoboh, or Tory Miller, or 3/4, one of them being Brown and than bank the extra scholly on 2014 . Miller has Washington by 40 lbs and who wouldn't want a guy named Goodluck on their team. :)

Washington has offers from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Marquette, Notre Dame, and Xavier. Nick Fuller is rated higher by ESPN. Yeah, you're right, Fuller is probably a better player.

I don't think Washington ends up here, but I'd much rather have him than Fuller. The bit I've seen of him, I think he's precisely the kind of player that we've lacked a bit.

Fuller is the kind of player we get. Washington the type we need. Once again the Gophers will miss the boat . Funny how we never have these locals kids say they love Minnesota. Kids sure don't seem to relate to this staff. We do beat Long Beach on player from time to time.

Blackhammer said:
Fuller is the kind of player we get. Washington the type we need. Once again the Gophers will miss the boat . Funny how we never have these locals kids say they love Minnesota. Kids sure don't seem to relate to this staff. We do beat Long Beach on player from time to time.

WTF are you talking about? Who is the last MN prospect we lost out on?

The good ones leave not just under Tubby's regime but historically. Or they come with some weird drama like Rickert or Humphries. It would just be nice to have a a big time local kid say I love the U. Actually since Tubbys been here there has been only one big time nationally recuited player in state. Royce White. So I stand corrected. But if you look at who he's beat out for the instate kids we signed it's not very impressive. National the one big get has been Devoe. Although I like him getting the Hollins kids. The reason or the time for the Tubby hiring to pay dividends is with this super 2014 class. I want to hear those kids say I love Tubby and the Gophers. I'm sick of seeing the Cole Aldrichs ,Kahlid El-Amins or Alan Andersons play in final fours.

Joe Coleman was rated pretty highly, and Royce White. Even when you look at that list of kids, how many were GREAT college players? Maybe the reason it looks like we don't get many big-time in state players is because there aren't many. I agree though, I really hope we can get a few of the top players in the state in 2014 class.

Does Washington count as a local kid anymore, where does he go to school connecticut?

Maybe there are no local kids anymore. With AAU taking over more than ever before and these kids probably getting more attention and exposure than they ever have. The really good players call press conferences and say I'm taking my talents to North Carolina,Duke ,Michigan State, or Kentucky for a year. It's a frustrating cycle for fans of their home state teams. You as an example take the state of Iowa. In the last 10,15 years you have Marcus Paige.Harrison Barnes,Nick Collison,Kirk Hinrich,Raef Lafraenz, and a I'm sure a few I forgot all leave the state.

Kyle Washington on playing for the U: "That would be great. Playing in my hometown city."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/156990?referrer_id=331171

Kyle Washington, a 6-foot-8 ½ and 211-pound rising senior who transferred from St. Louis Park (MN) Benilde St. Margaret’s to Lakeville (CT) Hotchkiss this past year, is back in the Twin Cities to play for the Howard Pulley AAU program this summer. GopherHole.com recently caught up with Washington to learn the latest on his recruitment, his summer plans and the possibility of planning college basketball at Minnesota.

Washington has picked many major basketball offers since being reclassified as a member of the Class of 2013. His father, Curtis, played at St. Thomas Aquinas in New York. He was named All-Met Division II Player of the Year in 1986.

Washington has received offers from schools such as Baylor, Florida, Louisville, Washington, Notre Dame, Central Michigan, Minnesota, Miami, West Virginia, Drake, Iowa State, Marquette, Penn State, Wisconsin and Xavier and added some new offers to the long list.

Gopher Hole: What was experience like playing at the Amare Stoudemire Camp?

Kyle Washington: It was great. It was just great being around basketball minds, learning every day and being challenged by best big men in the country and trying to show that you are one of the best big men in the country. It was a great experience through and through.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that was a good experience because if you play against a team that doesn’t have a good big man, you are not really get challenged? In any event, like the Amare Stoudemire Camp, everyone is a good big man who wants to prove how good they are.

Kyle Washington: Exactly. It is like when you go against someone who is your size, you get really excited and that was all weekend, so I was happy to do that. That was great. It was a great experience, just learning from ex-NBA guys and everything.

Gopher Hole: Does doing well there give you even confidence that you can play at a high level?

Kyle Washington: It gives more confidence in just going against the best players. I was on a two-week stretch where I was just surrounded by the best players, so I was just happy to be around that. I think that it elevated my game, so I was happy with that.

Gopher Hole: What was the NBA camp experience like the week before that?

Kyle Washington: The NBA camp experience was great. Being around ex-NBA pros. Being around teachers of the game, at a high level. Being around all that media. It was just great experience. Being at the University of Virginia was just great. I was really excited about that.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your college recruitment right now?

Kyle Washington: I don’t want to release my list right yet, but I want to keep making visits. I just visited Notre Dame, so that was good. I want to make visits and break it down to my final five.

Gopher Hole: Any new offers?

Kyle Washington: Seton Hall, Memphis and Georgia Tech.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now?

Kyle Washington: Like 19. Something like that.

Gopher Hole: Do you have any other plans to visit some schools this summer?

Kyle Washington: I am going to try to get down to a lot of different places. I don’t know yet, so I am not going to release any yet. I am just going to keep making visits the whole summer.

Gopher Hole: But you are still open to new schools, right?

Kyle Washington: I’m still open to new schools. I haven’t broken it down yet, but once I break it down, I am going to focusing on those, so I can enjoy my senior season.

Gopher Hole: What are your plans for July?

Kyle Washington: I am going out to D.C. and playing in the Global Games. I am going to the Lebron James Skills Academy (July 6-9). I’ll be in the tournament with Rene (Pulley) and Love (Coach Harris) in Kansas City at the end of the month.

Gopher Hole: What about the upcoming season? Most prep schools generally have mostly post graduates on their roster. What is your team going to be like?

Kyle Washington: I don’t know what I am going to do for high school yet because I am going to leave Hotchkiss, but I don’t know where I am going.

Gopher Hole: Where do you think that you might end up?

Kyle Washington: Probably South Kent. It will probably be that move. I have gotten to know the coaches and I am really comfortable with them now.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the hometown school?

Kyle Washington: The Gophers, they are great. I need to call Tubby, because he left a message and I was with my family, so I am sorry that I missed his call. They are great. Just playing against these players (in the Howard Pulley Summer League) and seeing who they are bringing in. They are bringing in athletic bigs, which would challenge me every day, so I am just happy about that.

Gopher Hole: You have probably grown up a little being away from home, but is it nice to be back home for a few weeks?

Kyle Washington: It is beautiful being back home. Just seeing all the people I have been looking up to and getting older and now playing against them. That is great and I am just happy about that

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play for the Gophers?

Kyle Washington: That would be great. Playing in my hometown city. I just have to keep thinking about it and taking visits.

Name one local kid that Tubby's missed out on?

Actually since Tubbys been here there has been only one big time nationally recuited player in state. Royce White.

Rodney Williams? He also recruited Trevor Mbakwe back to Minnesota which should count for something in this conversation on home grown players.

I believe for some reason it came down to the U and Sante Clara for Rodney maybe grades? He really hasn't missed on in state kids but there has been very few. We will get a chance to see about in state kids the next few years. It could be pretty exciting or disappointing. At least were on Washington's radar.

I believe for some reason it came down to the U and Sante Clara for Rodney maybe grades? He really hasn't missed on in state kids but there has been very few. We will get a chance to see about in state kids the next few years. It could be pretty exciting or disappointing. At least were on Washington's radar.

Memphis & Kansas were Rodney's other two choices in his final-4 list. The Santa Clara connection is that James Ware coaches there & thus they've got quite an in with our Metro players. http://santaclarabroncos.com/sports/m-baskbl/coaches/ware_james00.html

That said, the single most important factor imo to landing Washington, Jones & Vaughn is how we do this coming season. Winning solves everything.

Tweet from Marcus:

"Tubby Smith's in D.C. to watch Kyle Washington play in the Nike Global Challenge for Team USA East. Washington plays China today."

Go Gophers!!

Tweet from Marcus:

"Washington would be crown jewel of 2013 class, but not sure if Gophers get him. RT @HeHateMN @GophersNow is Tubby getting anyone?"

Go Gophers!!

BleedGopher said:
Tweet from Marcus:

"Washington would be crown jewel of 2013 class, but not sure if Gophers get him. RT @HeHateMN @GophersNow is Tubby getting anyone?"

Go Gophers!!

This was just in response to some guy frustrated we haven't offered Dearring. It's not based on any new info.

I just saw this tweet from Marcus:

Gophers 2013 top target Kyle Washington and @Tyusjones06 play with Howard Pulley today in the Kansas City Prep Invitational in KS.

I thought I read that Kyle was too old to play AAU ball this summer. Can anyone clarify this for me?

I just saw this tweet from Marcus:

Gophers 2013 top target Kyle Washington and @Tyusjones06 play with Howard Pulley today in the Kansas City Prep Invitational in KS.

I thought I read that Kyle was too old to play AAU ball this summer. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Had completed four years of high school - was ineligible to play in the EYBL per their league rules. He's been playing other summer ball this year for Pulley... the issue was EYBL-related.

Had completed four years of high school - was ineligible to play in the EYBL per their league rules. He's been playing other summer ball this year for Pulley... the issue was EYBL-related.

Thanks!

Tyus will probably enjoy having a little more size on court.

Washington and Manyang (sp?) played together for the Howard Pulley team last night. I would guess that Washington is about 6-9 and Manyang must be close to 7-0. Pulley has played most of the season without either player. The additional size really changes the look of the Pulley team. Washington played much better last night than he did last week. The opponent had a large front line, and when I say large, I mean tall and wide. Washington and Manyang struggled at times with the size of the opponents, but both are very agile and quick for kids their size.

@RyanJamesMN: Kyle Washington has added offers from Illinois, North Carolina State, and Ohio State recently.

Washington is a must get in my opinion. Big time talent this year.

Top Bottom