All Things Kendall Brown Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021: UPDATE - Gophers Offer)

Why do people get upset when 5 star recruits leave the state? Why is there this expectation that top shelf players with offers from top shelf programs will come to our middling power conference team? Why do people act like there’s this long running pattern of surefire NBA level talent that always stays home at Minnesota, and it’s just Pitino’s uniquely terrible recruiting abilities that has broken that non-existent pattern and pushed away the top level talent that would surely come flooding in here with any mediocre coach whom we could easily poach from some Summit League program? How many years does the next coach get without recruiting at an unprecedentedly high level before we bust out the pitchforks against him for the unforgivable crime of failing to land the best recruit the program has gotten in a decade or longer? Or because some 3 star decided he wanted to go to North Carolina instead of attending college 30 minutes from his parents’ house?

People have the chance to realize that many recruits will be thinking that Pitino is not a very good coach. Hear it regularly. In any case, he has been able to get good players, some really good but the results have been terrible.
People like Jamal Mashburn ... 13 year NBA career , first team All American, NBA all star, 19ppg career average.....someone who actually knows about coaching disagrees ! then again rumors that these kids would play at the U if former Big Ten Coach of the Year Pitino was a quality coach ....are nothing more then hearsay at best.

Why do people get upset when 5 star recruits leave the state? Why is there this expectation that top shelf players with offers from top shelf programs will come to our middling power conference team? Why do people act like there’s this long running pattern of surefire NBA level talent that always stays home at Minnesota, and it’s just Pitino’s uniquely terrible recruiting abilities that has broken that non-existent pattern and pushed away the top level talent that would surely come flooding in here with any mediocre coach whom we could easily poach from some Summit League program? How many years does the next coach get without recruiting at an unprecedentedly high level before we bust out the pitchforks against him for the unforgivable crime of failing to land the best recruit the program has gotten in a decade or longer? Or because some 3 star decided he wanted to go to North Carolina instead of attending college 30 minutes from his parents’ house?
People get bent out of shape because local 5*'s staying home is really the only shot the gophers have of landing one. They don't realize though that most 5* players don't play for a school within their home state. It is a common theme in college basketball. 5*'s will play for the blue bloods.

People like Jamal Mashburn ... 13 year NBA career , first team All American, NBA all star, 19ppg career average.....someone who actually knows about coaching disagrees ! then again rumors that these kids would play at the U if former Big Ten Coach of the Year Pitino was a quality coach ....are nothing more then hearsay at best.
Big 10 coach of the year on a rebound of a horrible year he created. Win the conference the year after your coach of the year award and color me impressed. Win National Coach of the year. Jamal Mashburn knows there are better coaches than Pitino, his kid did not get offers from them. He is also biased. Not hearsay when recruits and their parents tell you they have offers from far better coaches than Pitino. We do not have to roll out all the terrible records but one, never finishing better than 4th the entire time here. Players and their families do talk about. Even then, he does get good players, even out ranks UW and UVA regularly but when it comes to winning at their rate he gets pig slaughtered.

Reactions: MRJ

People get bent out of shape because local 5*'s staying home is really the only shot the gophers have of landing one. They don't realize though that most 5* players don't play for a school within their home state. It is a common theme in college basketball. 5*'s will play for the blue bloods.
The Gophers can get them by out scouting other programs and getting players that are better than many of the online site 5 stars. Other programs do it. They find guys they rank as better players than some internet fan site does. They find guys they mold into great teams. I do not blame Pitino for not getting local 5 star kids. Most of them would have left here . Some people are so provincial and have very little knowledge of how many states produce rar greater talent than this state and few of those kids stay home to play for their home state school. I actually love finding players from all over, do not care where, and watching them come together on and off the court and winning championships. This can be done here, it has been done places that have been this mediocre.

many schools have made decisions and are playing out the string. It is in everyone's best interest.

The Gophers can get them by out scouting other programs and getting players that are better than many of the online site 5 stars. Other programs do it. They find guys they rank as better players than some internet fan site does. They find guys they mold into great teams. I do not blame Pitino for not getting local 5 star kids. Most of them would have left here . Some people are so provincial and have very little knowledge of how many states produce rar greater talent than this state and few of those kids stay home to play for their home state school. I actually love finding players from all over, do not care where, and watching them come together on and off the court and winning championships. This can be done here, it has been done places that have been this mediocre.
Yep, exactly...I think the gophers can have very good teams without 5* guys. Obviously those guys would help and it would be very nice to get some being they are growing up in our own backyards, but it is just as unlikely as if they grew up across the country.

We were a 5 seed in the tourney a few years back with 1 4* guy on the roster.

Big 10 coach of the year on a rebound of a horrible year he created. Win the conference the year after your coach of the year award and color me impressed. Win National Coach of the year. Jamal Mashburn knows there are better coaches than Pitino, his kid did not get offers from them. He is also biased. Not hearsay when recruits and their parents tell you they have offers from far better coaches than Pitino. We do not have to roll out all the terrible records but one, never finishing better than 4th the entire time here. Players and their families do talk about. Even then, he does get good players, even out ranks UW and UVA regularly but when it comes to winning at their rate he gets pig slaughtered.
So Pitino is a better coach than the coaches who offered him Jr? Wow, I'd say PItino is a pretty good coach then. Jr had some very good offers. I know I know, no offers from uva and whitesconsin though.

Yep, exactly...I think the gophers can have very good teams without 5* guys. Obviously those guys would help and it would be very nice to get some being they are growing up in our own backyards, but it is just as unlikely as if they grew up across the country.

We were a 5 seed in the tourney a few years back with 1 4* guy on the roster.

I'd even go as far to argue that recruiting a ton of 5* players isn't a championship formula because so many of them are one and done. Finding guys in the 30-150 slot and developing them while getting/staying old is our best formula. Not landing Kendall Browns isn't the end of the world, but we need to hit a little better with our guys we've gotten, plus we truly just need to defend better which imo is on Pitino. It's annoying how every single one of these just turns into a Pinto sucks thing though. This recruitment wasn't the case

So Pitino is a better coach than the coaches who offered him Jr? Wow, I'd say PItino is a pretty good coach then. Jr had some very good offers. I know I know, no offers from uva and whitesconsin though.
To the Mashburns he may be better. Playing time, personal bias, school can all be factors. UVA, UW are not the only coaches that did not either. Nova, Duke, Gonzaga and on and on. I could care less, i am glad he is coming here. I was talking about how volumes of players feel, especially now.

To the Mashburns he may be better. Playing time, personal bias, school can all be factors. UVA, UW are not the only coaches that did not either. Nova, Duke, Gonzaga and on and on. I could care less, i am glad he is coming here. I was talking about how volumes of players feel, especially now.

Yet we have still recruited talented players like you said earlier. Some kids are going to think other coaches are better than others and again the data shows that there are plenty better than Richard, but with development and improvement we should see more wins and then better players. All part of the process. If he doesn't improve his teams defensively, he won't have a job anymore and it'll be a moot point.

many schools have made decisions and are playing out the string. It is in everyone's best interest.

This is the dumbest take I've heard today. So you're saying that if Pitino has a good year in 20-21, he is already gone regardless of results? HIGHLY DOUBTFUL that has been decided.

BADGER continues his fraudulent ways.

Who the heck is talking about 5 stars how about getting the 4 star kids going to Wisconsin, Marquette, Indiana, Stanford, and Woford. I don’t expect him to keep the truest great players that are one and done with shoe contracts already negotiated. I do expect him to beat out a very mediocre Marquette team for 4 star power forwards when you need a power forward. How about McKinely Wright to Colorado of all place because he wanted jelly fam.

wrong thread.... we created a thread for all of this junk!

I don't think bruce Pearl, Leonard hamilton, jim larranaga are bad coaches.

My apologies. I thought the above statement implied that because these coaches were also after mashburn jr.
No big deal. He has had plenty of players that are very good. That has never been the problem.

Either we didn’t want him or he disliked Pitino Jr.
Nah the joke is on Kansas. Remember he went to prep school in Kansas because Bill Self wanted him closer to Lawrence. Well once he went to Sunrise Christian he was a lock to be a jayhawk. Sucks for Kansas they also lost a MN recruit to St. Thomas of all places

Nah the joke is on Kansas. Remember he went to prep school in Kansas because Bill Self wanted him closer to Lawrence. Well once he went to Sunrise Christian he was a lock to be a jayhawk. Sucks for Kansas they also lost a MN recruit to St. Thomas of all places
You're talking about Kendall Blue right? With the going to St. Thomas part? Or did I miss a joke somewhere ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom