All Things Kendall Brown Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021: UPDATE - Gophers Offer)

Didn't read all the quotes so perhaps further context is required, but something just seems odd about a 17-year-old saying he'd be the face of a program.

Not saying I wouldn't jump for joy if he committed tomorrow, and as I said, context might make that quote sound a lot different, but it's a curious one.

Didn't read all the quotes so perhaps further context is required, but something just seems odd about a 17-year-old saying he'd be the face of a program.

Not saying I wouldn't jump for joy if he committed tomorrow, and as I said, context might make that quote sound a lot different, but it's a curious one.
Pitino is trying to sell him on that exact point.

Doesn’t everyone around here implore local kids to stay because it will allow them to be the face of the program instead of just another player somewhere else? I don’t know. I guess it just doesn’t bother me.

Doesn’t everyone around here implore local kids to stay because it will allow them to be the face of the program instead of just another player somewhere else? I don’t know. I guess it just doesn’t bother me.
I agree. Something tells me Kendall will commit to the Gophers because he has the mind set and determination to change how local athletes look at the program. Sign up soon KB!

Every single local kid over the last decade has had this exact same opportunity. Many have mentioned something similar then went elsewhere. Brown isn't wrong, he could absolutely dominate here and get to the NBA (Coffey and Oturu).

The comment doesn't really give me any more hope of him committing here though.

per Bossi:

Ranked No. 11 nationally in the class of 2021, Minnesota native

Kendall Brown has earned his reputation as one of the nation’s top small forwards thanks to his blend of size, versatility and athleticism.

A high IQ player who defends multiple positions, the 6-foot-7 Brown is coming off of a strong junior campaign at Bel Aire (Kan.) Sunrise Christian where he also improved as a jump shooter and ball handler.

Brown has cut his list to a final 10 of Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Illinois, Kansas, Marquette, Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio State and Virginia. Below, we rank the contenders for his commitment.

Go Gophers!!

Brown just committed to Baylor. I am sure the next 10 posts will be some combination of "pshh who cares we dont need him hes not even good" and RP is the worst ever....should be great!

Congrats to the young man!

Brown just committed to Baylor. I am sure the next 10 posts will be some combination of "pshh who cares we dont need him hes not even good" and RP is the worst ever....should be great!

I want to see the posts on JayhawkSlant. They had Kansas as the top contender and Baylor wasn't in the top 5. :LOL:

Wow, didn't realize he was comitting this soon. Kind of surprising, not that I expected him to be a Gopher. Third MN player in the last two years to play for the Bears.

Is Lindsted EVER going to sign a kid out of Sunrise Christian? My goodness, he played there, he coached there, his kids went there, you'd think he would have tenticles all over those prospects.

Yeah very surprising he already committed considering he had only been down to a top 10. He would have been a great player to have. RP punching out of his weight class to try to get him here, but gotta put the effort in even if it's a 2% chance.

The third top 100 player to commit to Baylor in a week. Baylor now has the #1 2021 recruiting class in the country.

I have never really liked the lindstead pick as an assistant. I would rather have a local connection. Damian will be that very soon.

Future prediction- Damian will have some coaching position at St. Thomas before the U.

Not a easy sell for Lindstead.

It clearly isn't easy, since he hasn't signed a single player from that school in the two years he's been on staff. Nor do I expect it to be easy; I expect it to be a grind, like all recruiting, but if you can't leverage the bulit-in advantages of tapping into a prominent national program at the school your father started and where he's still the executive director, and at a school where you attended and coached, perhaps you're just not very good at a critical part of your job.

It clearly isn't easy, since he hasn't signed a single player from that school in the two years he's been on staff. Nor do I expect it to be easy; I expect it to be a grind, like all recruiting, but if you can't leverage the bulit-in advantages of tapping into a prominent national program at the school your father started and where he's still the executive director, and at a school where you attended and coached, perhaps you're just not very good at a critical part of your job.
Understood, all good points. I was more about the present sell here.

Wasn’t Lindsted the connection on the foreign guys? He had Tray Jackson too but Mi$$ouri came in. We weren’t even in the running for Brown until recently. Im fine with Lindsted so far. Heard he’s done good with relationships. We gotta win and guys will come.

Understood, all good points. I was more about the present sell here.
I mean we lost Grant Sherfiled to Wichita State, I don't think there is a massive difference in programs by any means. Tray Jackson decommit is another who went to Mizzou. I think its not as easy to sell as Baylor or multiple of his other offers, but some have been kinda ehhh

Edit: I mean we really just don't have tourney or a ton of post season success and all of these other teams probably have lol. That is a big difference honestly

I mean we lost Grant Sherfiled to Wichita State, I don't think there is a massive difference in programs by any means. Tray Jackson decommit is another who went to Mizzou. I think its not as easy to sell as Baylor or multiple of his other offers, but some have been kinda ehhh

Edit: I mean we really just don't have tourney or a ton of post season success and all of these other teams probably have lol. That is a big difference honestly
MARSHALL has had Wichita State on a different planet than we have been for anyone that was 5 years old until now.

Not surprised that Pitino failed again, just incredibly angry that we are still in this position. Baylor averaged like 7700 fans this last year while they were in the top 5 for much of the year. The previous two seasons Baylor averaged around 6500 fans. More people show up to watch the terrible product Pitino has put on the floor for the vast majority of his tenure. Pitino has a brand new practice facility that was allegedly his missing piece early in his tenure. Imagine the excuses for Pitino if had to bring up a program like Baylor from some who post here. Yet, here we are, and Baylor is outrecruiting Pitino in his own backyard. Much like the 2020 class, if Pitino was in on equivalent players out of state it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Fleck has had some big local misses but has counteracted that by landing big out of state commitments.

As always, blaming the kid is strange though I am sure some will do it. It's on the coach (the 8th year coach) to develop a program and create an atmosphere that is appealing to top level recruits. That clearly has not been done.

MARSHALL has had Wichita State on a different planet than we have been for anyone that was 5 years old until now.
I mean yeah its great to win the Missouri Valley but that is then the only thing you can really go off of is the post season success. Seeding does in fact matter, but yes they have had 10x the post season success we have. Missouri has not been great, Marquette hasn't been that great since Buzz left

Keeping Pitino pays off yet again!!!

Not surprised that Pitino failed again, just incredibly angry that we are still in this position. Baylor averaged like 7700 fans this last year while they were in the top 5 for much of the year. The previous two seasons Baylor averaged around 6500 fans. More people show up to watch the terrible product Pitino has put on the floor for the vast majority of his tenure. Pitino has a brand new practice facility that was allegedly his missing piece early in his tenure. Imagine the excuses for Pitino if had to bring up a program like Baylor from some who post here. Yet, here we are, and Baylor is outrecruiting Pitino in his own backyard. Much like the 2020 class, if Pitino was in on equivalent players out of state it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Fleck has had some big local misses but has counteracted that by landing big out of state commitments.

As always, blaming the kid is strange though I am sure some will do it. It's on the coach (the 8th year coach) to develop a program and create an atmosphere that is appealing to top level recruits. That clearly has not been done.
People have the chance to realize that many recruits will be thinking that Pitino is not a very good coach. Hear it regularly. In any case, he has been able to get good players, some really good but the results have been terrible.

Reactions: MRJ

Make or break for Pitino this year. Quality players that should win.

What's the deal with waiver situation on Gach and Robbins? Any Updates?

It's dumb you're talking about attendance numbers when Baylor has been a really good team for most of a decade. You act like they just came out of nowhere. They were making tourney runs when Tubby was still here. I get it's just another (ad nauseam) post where you complain about Pitino, but Baylor has been recruiting well for years now.

People have the chance to realize that many recruits will be thinking that Pitino is not a very good coach. Hear it regularly. In any case, he has been able to get good players, some really good but the results have been terrible.

What’s the point of this comment? I get the point that some recruits feel that way and they have plenty of data to prove it so, but that isnt the full story here. Seems like an unnecessary shot.

Anyways back to Brown, Bossi writes and article a couple days ago putting Kansas as the number 1 favorite, followed by Marquette, MN (who did a good job rebuilding a formerly weak relationship, but was always a long shot specially with his dad), Zona, and Ohio State, then Brown randomly just commits to Baylor? There’s more to this story imo than just a coach.

Top Bottom