***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

Suggs will never play basketball at Gonzaga. He said on ESPN after his announcement he's already been in contract talks with multiple teams overseas. He'll play in Europe for a year before going to the NBA Draft.

Alright. Lock the thread and let's move on to kids who want to play in MN.
I totally like your thinking. I wish these guys would take Minnesota right out of their consideration they are not sincere about committing to the Gophers!

Saw this coming 100 miles away.
So did everyone else. He is not a college player. He is a one and done kid- if he even does the one. Minnesota is not a place where the one and dones are going to look right now because it is not a sure thing top 20 team. Pitino or the next coach will build something here and it won't likely be done off of kids like Suggs. Good luck to him.

So did everyone else. He is not a college player. He is a one and done kid- if he even does the one. Minnesota is not a place where the one and dones are going to look right now because it is not a sure thing top 20 team. Pitino or the next coach will build something here and it won't likely be done off of kids like Suggs. Good luck to him.

Correct. The last one and down season we had at Minnesota was my least favorite Gopher team.

Suggs will never play basketball at Gonzaga. He said on ESPN after his announcement he's already been in contract talks with multiple teams overseas. He'll play in Europe for a year before going to the NBA Draft.

Academics??

I agree. But it should be based on the coach's sense of the player's attitude. If the player wants to use the program for a year....skip it. If the player wants to be a Gopher and help the team until he is good enough to go pro- recruit the kid. I think a kid that expressly says I'm one and done is not a good target, they have made up their mind that they are already good enough and the next year is all about their audition.

My guess is that Pitino sensed that Sugg's attitude was,"I'm one and done" and he didn't put a lot of emphasis on him unless Suggs really wanted to be a Gopher- which he obviously did not.

I thought the Minnehaha game against Bronny was going to be on ESPN tonight. Not showing it on the guide.

Should the Gophers stop recruiting Chet effective today?
No but the odds of us landing Chet are pretty abysmal. Treyton Thompson is a nice insurance policy to Chet so I'd be okay with Pitino not wasting his time going to Chet's 6AM practices like he did for Dawson Garcia.

No but the odds of us landing Chet are pretty abysmal. Treyton Thompson is a nice insurance policy to Chet so I'd be okay with Pitino not wasting his time going to Chet's 6AM practices like he did for Dawson Garcia.
Totally agree. If the young man has no interest move onto the next man up. Leading us along is the worst thing ever for the coach and for the program

Of course not. Chet and his family have not looked at one and done. Suggs is recruiting him, why would we stop.
Suggs is recruiting Chet to Gonzaga, even though he says he’s a one and done what sense does that make, especially if they wanted to play together. Consider the Gophers like Daniel is doing and you will make the NBA

Suggs is recruiting Chet to Gonzaga, even though he says he’s a one and done what sense does that make, especially if they wanted to play together. Consider the Gophers like Daniel is doing and you will make the NBA
It is possible that Chet and his family respect Suggs AND think that Chet will get better coaching at Gonzaga , maybe it fits their values as a program and a school.

It is possible that Chet and his family respect Suggs AND think that Chet will get better coaching at Gonzaga , maybe it fits their values as a program and a school.
Before all these super-stars decided to collective enroll in Minnehaha ... were any of them in private, Catholic education systems? I'm going to take a wild guess of NO.

I have no idea how Minnehaha did it. I'm guessing they hired just the right coach. Maybe an AAU coach?

None of these kids were developed at or groomed for college at Minnehaha. Playing the school season is just a side-show. Club is where everything really happens and is what matters.

Or how about this one. Better chance of

I try to think like this, is difficult sometimes. I dont following gopher football that much. Wonder how Fleck does with Minnesota kids. I know you've said our local recruiting is mimicked in other states, so guess need to remember that.
Fleck hasn’t done well with local kids.

2019 - Top 2 left state, both 4 stars
2020 - 1 commit from top 7 in class (#5)
2021 - top 2 already committed to rivals (WI/IA)

That being said, his national recruiting has really been trending upward and we are getting quality recruits coming in from all over the country. I feel in the future this Minnesota trend will change.

Reactions: ltf

No disrespect to what Gonzaga has done/Mark Few has accomplished, but do you think there is any part of the decision that hinged on a lack of a football program at Gonzaga? The ship has sailed and we're beating a dead horse here, but it's food for thought - there's the ability to focus solely on one sport without the temptation/rub from the other sport that has also been an investment of time with some return of national attention. Probably a moot point altogether, especially if he goes the pro route...

Top Bottom