All Things Isaiah Whitehead Thread UPDATED 9/18: Whitehead to Seton Hall

Disagree. Vaughn has far better NBA potential imo. Whitehead is smaller & would be a bit undersized 6'4", where as Vaughn is a prototype 2 guard at the NBA level. Physically he's ready to play in the NBA right now. The thought of Dre Hollins at PG as a Sr. with Vaughn at SG as a likely one 'n' done Fr. is exciting stuff.

You might be right. I guess when I see Whitehead, I see a guy who could be the next Wade.

Both will play in the NBA. Vaughn has more prototypical size, but Whitehead actually has a lot of PG skills and a fantastic handle. It will be easier for Vaughn to fit in on most teams, but in the right situation, Whitehead could really excel.

Disagree. Vaughn has far better NBA potential imo. Whitehead is smaller & would be a bit undersized 6'4", where as Vaughn is a prototype 2 guard at the NBA level. Physically he's ready to play in the NBA right now. The thought of Dre Hollins at PG as a Sr. with Vaughn at SG as a likely one 'n' done Fr. is exciting stuff.

Agreed. Vaughn is bigger and a much better athlete. Definitely more potential IMO. Whitehead is a great player though.

There are conflicting reports about Whitehead cutting Syracuse from his list. They might not be out of it yet.

Zach Braziller (@NYPost_Brazille) tweeted at 5:59 PM on Wed, Aug 21, 2013:As @HooprecruiterNY just tweeted, Isaiah Whitehead still interested in Syracuse, which a source just confirmed to me.

You might be right. I guess when I see Whitehead, I see a guy who could be the next Wade.

I think Wade is a great comparison! It's pretty hard to be as good as Wade of course, but he's in that mold for sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm high of Whitehead & could see him playing in the NBA, but I'd be shocked if Vaughn isn't a 1st rounder after one year in college & could easily see him being a lottery pick. He is blessed with the ideal size/body for an NBA SG.

I think Wade is a great comparison! It's pretty hard to be as good as Wade of course, but he's in that mold for sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm high of Whitehead & could see him playing in the NBA, but I'd be shocked if Vaughn isn't a 1st rounder after one year in college & could easily see him being a lottery pick. He is blessed with the ideal size/body for an NBA SG.

Vaughn also just turned 17. If he were born a month later, he'd be the #1 or 2 ranked player in the class of 2015.

Interesting note is that Ryan James said (his opinion, not fact) that he can't see these two playing together. He said they're both guys who need a ton of shots & he just doesn't think there'd be enough shots for both.

Vaughn also just turned 17. If he were born a month later, he'd be the #1 or 2 ranked player in the class of 2015.

100%. I wish we could "like" people's posts or give them "rep points" on this forum because there are a lot of good posters in the basketball forum.

I haven't seen it posted anywhere yet, but Ryan James had a lot of Whitehead talk in the latest Talk Gopher Hoops podcast at http://talkgopherbuckets.tumblr.com/post/58972169216/episode-54-recruiting-for-the-future

To summarize, James thinks Indiana is probably the leader at this point. As mentioned in this thread earlier, he says to keep an eye on the Robert Johnson recruitment. Johnson shoots a ton and if he commits to Indiana (considered the favorites), that may take them out of the Whitehead sweepstakes. Indiana is also still in on Blackmon, but he thought Blackmon likely won't decide for quite some time.

James said that Whitehead likes UCLA and Arizona, but his mom doesn't want him to go that far away from home. He also mentioned seeing the tweets regarding Syracuse that had differing information, and he indicated that would greatly benefit the Gophers chances if Syracuse is indeed out.

100%. I wish we could "like" people's posts or give them "rep points" on this forum because there are a lot of good posters in the basketball forum.

suggest in the help/test forum. I've made the suggestion there and they said they were looking into it with no results.

suggest in the help/test forum. I've made the suggestion there and they said they were looking into it with no results.

The forum itself is through a different service I believe, so even if the GopherHole staff agrees, I don't think there is anything they can do.

The forum itself is through a different service I believe, so even if the GopherHole staff agrees, I don't think there is anything they can do.

That is correct. At this point the platform we're using doesn't have that function, but we'll put another request in for it. Let's keep this thread focused on Whitehead. Any additional suggestions please PM us or e-mail us at [email protected] so we can remain on topic. Thanks.

It would severely suck if Whitehead ends up at Indiana. The Hoosiers think they can sneak in at the last minute and sweep these guys off their feet by whispering sweet nothings into their ear, and unfortunately they can. Having Whitehead beat us in conference games would be even worse than the times Verdell Jones daggered us, and that was bad enough. I'm really getting to downright hate IU and Crean.

Ugh...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Isaiah Whitehead still listing Indiana, UCLA, Arizona, Minny & Syracuse..no visits planned.</p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/370668113182085120">August 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ugh...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Isaiah Whitehead still listing Indiana, UCLA, Arizona, Minny & Syracuse..no visits planned.</p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/370668113182085120">August 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hopefully the reports meant Syracuse lost interest. If Whitehead is still interested it doesn't mean much if Syracuse doesn't want to take anymore guards.

It would severely suck if Whitehead ends up at Indiana. The Hoosiers think they can sneak in at the last minute and sweep these guys off their feet by whispering sweet nothings into their ear, and unfortunately they can. Having Whitehead beat us in conference games would be even worse than the times Verdell Jones daggered us, and that was bad enough. I'm really getting to downright hate IU and Crean.

What if whitehead and lourawls both go to Indiana, that would be unfortunate

From Eric Bossi of Rivals: "I know that Syracuse told Kaleb Joseph during his recruitment that they were only recruiting one guard and that whoever committed first would be it for them. Doesn't mean it happens, but that is what was relayed to Joseph and I believe a big part of why he moved quickly to end his recruitment after the summer."

Hopefully that holds true.

He will go there unless someone else commits before him.

That's why the upcoming Robert Johnson visit is crucial. He is said to be considering committing to them on his visit. That would be a deal breaker for Whitehead and Indiana possibly.

This is where Pitino really needs to earn his keep and make his mark. There's no point in being satisfied with being in someone's Top 3, and I'm sure Richard feels that way. It's time for the full court press and pulling out all the stops, and if that means giving the kid just a bit of a guilt trip about how long you've been following him and how Indiana is a johnny come lately on the rebound from other athletes - pretty much play the loyalty card - then that's what it means. Put some pressure on him to NOT commit on the trip to Bloomington. Time to be a closer, RP.

That's why the upcoming Robert Johnson visit is crucial. He is said to be considering committing to them on his visit. That would be a deal breaker for Whitehead and Indiana possibly.

Hopefully it would be for Whitehead, doubt it would be for Crean though. Crean loves oversigning and kicking players off the team to make room. One of his favorite hobbies.

This is where Pitino really needs to earn his keep and make his mark. There's no point in being satisfied with being in someone's Top 3, and I'm sure Richard feels that way. It's time for the full court press and pulling out all the stops, and if that means giving the kid just a bit of a guilt trip about how long you've been following him and how Indiana is a johnny come lately on the rebound from other athletes - pretty much play the loyalty card - then that's what it means. Put some pressure on him to NOT commit on the trip to Bloomington. Time to be a closer, RP.

Fans can do our part too. If he happens to come to a football game for a visit, the students will need to do something creative to make him feel wanted.

That's not necessarily true. IU just started recruiting Whitehead. UCLA and Minnesota are sitting much better with Whitehead than Indiana...which could obviously change after his Indiana visit.

FWIW I just noticed that the CEO of 247 changed his crystal ball prediction for Whitehead to Minnesota. Doesn't necessarily mean anything (100% of the predictions for Newton were to Minn.) but he has an 80% success rate and he's the CEO so he must know something.

FWIW I just noticed that the CEO of 247 changed his crystal ball prediction for Whitehead to Minnesota. Doesn't necessarily mean anything (100% of the predictions for Newton were to Minn.) but he has an 80% success rate and he's the CEO so he must know something.

I know. Made me think Newton was a lock. Whoopsies.

Top Bottom