All Things Grayson Grove Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Alexandria, MN; 6-8, 190lb; Gophers Commit!

He missed this last AAU season and also part of this highschool season. Seems to be healthy now though.
He played the beginning part of the AAU season last year IIRC - he was listed as an up and comer along with Ike by a recruiting service, based on his play.

Last edited:

Tuesday night (2/20) Alexandria beat St. Cloud Apollo, 107-54. No mention of Grayson in the box score or article,

ALEXANDRIA SCORING - Chase Thompson, 25; Mason Witt, 21; Bralyn Steffensmeier, 18; Dawson Roderick, 10; Talan Witt, 7; Mason Gorghuber, 7; Samson Hagstrom, 5; Blake Scholl, 5; Brett Meyer, 5; Thomas Hinrichs 2, Evan Moore, 2​

Tuesday night (2/20) Alexandria beat St. Cloud Apollo, 107-54. No mention of Grayson in the box score or article,

ALEXANDRIA SCORING - Chase Thompson, 25; Mason Witt, 21; Bralyn Steffensmeier, 18; Dawson Roderick, 10; Talan Witt, 7; Mason Gorghuber, 7; Samson Hagstrom, 5; Blake Scholl, 5; Brett Meyer, 5; Thomas Hinrichs 2, Evan Moore, 2​

What the heck?

Grove "write-up" towards the bottom of article.

The Alexandria boys basketball team, ranked No. 8 in Class 3A, earned an 85-50 win over Fergus Falls (11-12, 4-6 Section 8-3A) to improve to 19-5 (10-1 Section 8-3A) on Thursday.

Alexandria’s offense was paced by 21-point games by Chase Thompson and Bralyn Steffensmeier.

Steffensmeier knocked down all five of his three-point attempts in the win.

Grayson Grove rounded out the Alexandria scorers in double figures with 11 points in 15 minutes.

Alexandria is on the road again on Monday against Sartell-St. Stephen (4-19) at 7:15 p.m.

Grayson Grove - 11 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block​

I liked the signing last year and I realize he has a small sample size coming back. I also realize he is exactly like the kind of skilled big who usually goes to WI and thrives, but he doesn’t look like a Big 10 athlete right now. There is a lack of suddenness to his game.

I really hope I’m wrong.

I liked the signing last year and I realize he has a small sample size coming back. I also realize he is exactly like the kind of skilled big who usually goes to WI and thrives, but he doesn’t look like a Big 10 athlete right now. There is a lack of suddenness to his game.

I really hope I’m wrong.
He’s still probably recovering/hindered by the broken leg he suffered previously.

Grove is definitely a 2-3 year project. BJ really needs to find some immediate depth in the transfer portal this year, especially if either/both Fox and Garcia part ways with the Gophers.

Grove is definitely a 2-3 year project. BJ really needs to find some immediate depth in the transfer portal this year, especially if either/both Fox and Garcia part ways with the Gophers.
I imagine that CBJ will look for front court depth in the transfer portal with those potential losses. Garcia is playing well enough to get some looks but its not a guarantee. I think Fox CAN come back but thats uncertain too.

I imagine that CBJ will look for front court depth in the transfer portal with those potential losses. Garcia is playing well enough to get some looks but it’s not a guarantee. I think Fox CAN come back but thats uncertain too.
From what I understand Fox can come back - it’s his choice

Not to mention how CBJ is currently running JOJ out of town. In the transfer portal era, like it or lump it, you have to keep kids happy. He looks pretty pouty sitting on the bench.

Not to mention how CBJ is currently running JOJ out of town. In the transfer portal era, like it or lump it, you have to keep kids happy. He looks pretty pouty sitting on the bench.
As a fan, IDK who leaves. As long as you aren't part of the top 9. The problem right now is we do not have a trusted 9. We are down to a trusted 7 maybe 8. If JOJ and Ihnen leave, it is no loss. Neither will be in our top 9 next fall. No, I don't hate any of these guys. Like Wilson. I hope he and any others have great success in life. But, as a fan, if you aren't in the rotation, you are irrelevant to me. I am concerned about the 9 (or 10) players that will lead us to victory next fall. At this point I hope those 9/10 are:
Hawkins
Mitchell
Christie
Carrington
Payne
Garcia
Fox
Betts/portal 4/5
Asuma??
portal G

Of the players currently on the roster (and Asuma and Grove) I don't see anyone breaking the top9/10 other than maybe Betts and/or Asuma. We'll see.

I’m pretty sure the coaches have told him what he needs to do to play and it’s likely he doesn’t want to acquiesce to that vision.

That’s his coaching works. If JOJ wants to transfer for lack of playing time, that’s his choice.

Playing D, is effort for the most part. Look at Mitchell, he was lazy as a post church Sunday drive and after sitting several times for his defensive inequities, he’s now motoring around like a guy driving late to the office.

The players play and the coaches; Ben has a vision and he ain’t going to alter it for JOJ.

Last edited:

I’m pretty sure the coaches have told him what he needs to do to play and it’s likely he doesn’t want to acquiesce to that vision.

That’s his coaching works. If JOJ wants to transfer for lack of playing time, that’s his choice.

Playing D, is effort for the most part. Look at Mitchell, he was lazy as a post church Sunday drive and after sitting several times fit his defensive inequities, he’s now motoring around like a guy driving late to the office.

The players play and the coaches; Ben has a vision and he ain’t going to alter it for JOJ.
Couldn't agree more. You can bet that JOJ has been instructed on not only his effort on defense but also how to be a part of the flow of the offense rather than "trying to take over." He also struggles with his ball handling and passing, but he has a lot of physical talent-46 inch verticals don't grow on trees!

But I'm happy that the message has been sent that these players need to work their asses off on defense in order to get playing time.

We'll never have the talent level of some schools-but if we get the right kind of people who are willing to work in a system that relies on defense and ball movement, you have a chance to excel.

We might lose JOJ, I'm not sure anyone knows that, but I'd rather see the standards set without exception-that's good coaching.

Couldn't agree more. You can bet that JOJ has been instructed on not only his effort on defense but also how to be a part of the flow of the offense rather than "trying to take over." He also struggles with his ball handling and passing, but he has a lot of physical talent-46 inch verticals don't grow on trees!

But I'm happy that the message has been sent that these players need to work their asses off on defense in order to get playing time.

We'll never have the talent level of some schools-but if we get the right kind of people who are willing to work in a system that relies on defense and ball movement, you have a chance to excel.

We might lose JOJ, I'm not sure anyone knows that, but I'd rather see the standards set without exception-that's good coaching.
JOJ might/should get some run today as Carrington is out apparently.

He’s still probably recovering/hindered by the broken leg he suffered previously.
RJ reports on 247 that Grove's minutes are being rationed. He plays in 4 minute segments. I think he was playing every other game at one time. RJ speaks very well of Grove as he is fundamentally solid and fits well into the team scheme. Hope they get to State so we can see him perform.

RJ reports on 247 that Grove's minutes are being rationed. He plays in 4 minute segments. I think he was playing every other game at one time. RJ speaks very well of Grove as he is fundamentally solid and fits well into the team scheme. Hope they get to State so we can see him perform.
Kudos to his coaching staff for going slooow.

I think he’s going to be a gem down the road.

Go Cards!

JOJ might/should get some run today as Carrington is out apparently.
I had several coaches mention this to me over the years, and seen it play out a few times as well. It takes some players a year or two for things to click. It's not that they're not making the effort, or being difficult. For whatever reason, some of the concepts that a coach is teaching, that need to be automatic and instinctive, aren't.

Was just talking last week with a guy who coached for many years at U. C. Davis in Ca. Was part of their Division 2 National Championship team. He said his experience was that it generally takes a player out of high school at least a full season, sometimes 2, to fully comprehend what it takes to truly be consistent and competitive at the college level. We talked about a local player that should be dominant athletically. In a straight up man to man, she can guard anybody. But as soon as you get into different scenarios on when to go over/under screens, who and when to switch depending on the current situation or individual match-up (we all know those rules can vary during the course of a game or even possession) she gets a little lost. She knows what do to, but it takes her a second to remember sometimes. It's not always an instinctive reaction for her. Since her coach sees in practice that she sometimes struggles with that, and he doesn't know for sure how she'll react when the situation comes up in a game, she doesn't play.

Sometimes for a player, it's like the fundamentals of algebra either clicking in or not. Some players get it right away, some players take a little time and some players never get it. It's hard to give up on a guy when you see them physically and think "If it ever clicks for him, he could dominate". I think JOJ might be in that situation. As for demeanor on the bench, sometimes frustration with yourself can look like discontent. I haven't watched enough to notice, but a player also needs to realize that body language matters whether you think so or not, coaches are paying attention.

I had several coaches mention this to me over the years, and seen it play out a few times as well. It takes some players a year or two for things to click. It's not that they're not making the effort, or being difficult. For whatever reason, some of the concepts that a coach is teaching, that need to be automatic and instinctive, aren't.

Was just talking last week with a guy who coached for many years at U. C. Davis in Ca. Was part of their Division 2 National Championship team. He said his experience was that it generally takes a player out of high school at least a full season, sometimes 2, to fully comprehend what it takes to truly be consistent and competitive at the college level. We talked about a local player that should be dominant athletically. In a straight up man to man, she can guard anybody. But as soon as you get into different scenarios on when to go over/under screens, who and when to switch depending on the current situation or individual match-up (we all know those rules can vary during the course of a game or even possession) she gets a little lost. She knows what do to, but it takes her a second to remember sometimes. It's not always an instinctive reaction for her. Since her coach sees in practice that she sometimes struggles with that, and he doesn't know for sure how she'll react when the situation comes up in a game, she doesn't play.

Sometimes for a player, it's like the fundamentals of algebra either clicking in or not. Some players get it right away, some players take a little time and some players never get it. It's hard to give up on a guy when you see them physically and think "If it ever clicks for him, he could dominate". I think JOJ might be in that situation. As for demeanor on the bench, sometimes frustration with yourself can look like discontent. I haven't watched enough to notice, but a player also needs to realize that body language matters whether you think so or not, coaches are paying attention.
Great post and my bad in just assuming it’s willfulness.

Hopefully it falls into your bucket and not mine.

I should have given him the benefit of the doubt and will work to improve my best.

Thanks 😊

As a fan, IDK who leaves. As long as you aren't part of the top 9. The problem right now is we do not have a trusted 9. We are down to a trusted 7 maybe 8. If JOJ and Ihnen leave, it is no loss. Neither will be in our top 9 next fall. No, I don't hate any of these guys. Like Wilson. I hope he and any others have great success in life. But, as a fan, if you aren't in the rotation, you are irrelevant to me. I am concerned about the 9 (or 10) players that will lead us to victory next fall. At this point I hope those 9/10 are:
Hawkins
Mitchell
Christie
Carrington
Payne
Garcia
Fox
Betts/portal 4/5
Asuma??
portal G

Of the players currently on the roster (and Asuma and Grove) I don't see anyone breaking the top9/10 other than maybe Betts and/or Asuma. We'll see.
Asuma for certain. He needs a few minutes per game to prepare for the following season when he will be a key guy.

Playing D, is effort for the most part. Look at Mitchell, he was lazy as a post church Sunday drive and after sitting several times for his defensive inequities, he’s now motoring around like a guy driving late to the office.

The vision of Mitchell in the car 🚗 is priceless 😀.

Grove seems like a sleeper to me. I think he’s going to be a lot better than I originally thought. I saw somewhere that he was now up to 6-9 and 225.
I saw his post-game interview and he looks like he's about 12...when he develops some more muscle he might be tough to handle. He's got good skills for a 6'9" kid....

Top Bottom