All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

Fran McCaffery just oversigned. Well technically no one has signed yet, but he has three verbal pledges with only one spot open next season. Now, one of those players is his son, Connor, so he could walk-on and Fran could pay his tuition. Even if that happens, Iowa still will have to find a way to open up a scholarship.
I believe they gave a freshman walkon from last year a scholarship, my guess is he will go back to being a walk on. Must be nice to have sons that are four star recruits that you don't need to burn a scholly on

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I've generally been of the opinion that Pitino probably wouldn't oversign, but maybe Marcus knows something. The tweet suggests we would take both Hasahn French and Jamir Harris if they want to be here.

I've generally been of the opinion that Pitino probably wouldn't oversign, but maybe Marcus knows something. The tweet suggests we would take both Hasahn French and Jamir Harris if they want to be here.

not "would"

Will

per Marcus: Richard Pitino travels to New Jersey to see 2017 guard Jamir Harris

Pitino and assistant Kimani Young were in New Jersey on Tuesday to see The Patrick School senior guard Jamir Harris, who has scheduled official visits to Minnesota on Sept. 30 and Stanford on Oct. 29.

Pitino and Young both watched Harris in the school's open gym and planned an in-home visit Tuesday.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound three-star prospect is one of the top shooters in the senior class. Harris started with former four-star point guard and current Harvard freshman Bryce Aiken last season. He's capable of playing both guard spots and could be an option in the backcourt alongside Gophers point guard recruit Isaiah Washington.

Harris made an unofficial visit to the Gophers with his mother during the summer.

The Patrick School coach Chris Chavannes said Harris has a good relationship with former high school teammate Dupree McBrayer. McBrayer, a Gophers sophomore guard, played with Harris for one season and graduated from The Patrick School in 2014.

"Jamir had the opportunity to play with Dupree as a freshman," Chavannes said. "That year when he came in we had a very good team. Dupree was a very composed player for us out here. They have similar demeanors. He taught Jamir a lot, and I think he would look forward to being under (McBrayer's) tutelage another year and help him make that transition from high school to college."

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...sey-to-see-2017-guard-jamir-harris/394201201/

Go Gophers!!

Pitino's seat is pretty hot. It would make sense that he would over-sign and send someone packing if they are not helping the team. Sorry Gaston, you got three free years of college.

We definitely could use both another big body and an accomplished shooter. This would also help even out the scholarships available in each year as it would have three in 2017 and four in 18 instead of 5.

I don't disagree with what anyone is saying, but French is not a big body, signing him in this cycle doesn't solve anything in the front court.

In my mind, UNLESS Curry can capably play big minutes at the 5 and Pitino is fine playing Murphy at the 5, going into Murphy and Dupree's Junior year without a Center is risky.

I will say, however, that over signing helps our roster balance a lot, as next year we will have Mason, Gas, Lynch, Konate, Fitz all graduating. No need to have 5 players in a single signing period.

I don't disagree with what anyone is saying, but French is not a big body, signing him in this cycle doesn't solve anything in the front court.

In my mind, UNLESS Curry can capably play big minutes at the 5 and Pitino is fine playing Murphy at the 5, going into Murphy and Dupree's Junior year without a Center is risky.

I will say, however, that over signing helps our roster balance a lot, as next year we will have Mason, Gas, Lynch, Konate, Fitz all graduating. No need to have 5 players in a single signing period.

46719249.jpg

And Pitino has hinted that Curry could play some 5 since he's 6'9 and has a bigger frame than originally thought.

RJ just tweeted French visit is canceled. My guess is Pitino is comfortable with a Curry+Murphy front court in 2018 with 2018 frosh backing them up.

What the hell is Pitino going to do with 5 scholarships in 18?

I don't disagree with what anyone is saying, but French is not a big body, signing him in this cycle doesn't solve anything in the front court. In my mind, UNLESS Curry can capably play big minutes at the 5 and Pitino is fine playing Murphy at the 5, going into Murphy and Dupree's Junior year without a Center is risky. I will say, however, that over signing helps our roster balance a lot, as next year we will have Mason, Gas, Lynch, Konate, Fitz all graduating. No need to have 5 players in a single signing period.

When Dupree and Murphy are juniors Lynch and Konate will be seniors.

2017 Depth Chart
PG - Nate Mason (Sr) / Isaiah Washington (Fr)
SG - Dupree McBrayer (Jr) / Ahmad Gilbert (Jr) / Jamir Harris (Fr)
SF - Amir Coffey (So) / Davonte Fitzgerald (Sr) / Michael Hurt (So)
PF - Jordan Murphy (Jr) / Eric Curry (So)
C - Reggie Lynch (Sr) / Bakary Konate (Sr) / Gaston Diedhiou (Sr)

2018 Depth Chart
PG - Isaian Washington (So) / Jamir Harris (So) / Freshman PG (Tre Jones?)
SG - Dupree McBrayer (Sr) /Ahmad Gilbert (Sr) / Freshman Wing (Gabe Kalscheur?)
SF - Amir Coffey (Jr) / Michael Hurt (Jr)
PF - Jordan Murphy (Sr) / Freshman SF/PF (Race Thompson?) / Freshman PF/C (Daniel Oturu?)
C - Eric Curry (Jr) / Freshman C (Moses Brown?)

What the hell is Pitino going to do with 5 scholarships in 18?

If normal attrition patterns continue, look for a Juco center signing in the spring. That gives them an older center the year when the fall '17 recruits, which will need to include big guys, arrive on campus in the fall of '18.

Go Gophers!!

He's reportedly 6'7"... Not a Center, I shouldn't have put big body, I should have said center.

When Dupree and Murphy are juniors Lynch and Konate will be seniors.

You're right, fast forward a year is my point, having them as seniors without a seasoned center is hypothetically having an incomplete starting lineup when two of your cornerstone players will be seniors.

2017 Depth Chart
PG - Nate Mason (Sr) / Isaiah Washington (Fr)
SG - Dupree McBrayer (Jr) / Ahmad Gilbert (Jr) / Jamir Harris (Fr)
SF - Amir Coffey (So) / Davonte Fitzgerald (Sr) / Michael Hurt (So)
PF - Jordan Murphy (Jr) / Eric Curry (So)
C - Reggie Lynch (Sr) / Bakary Konate (Sr) / Gaston Diedhiou (Sr)

2018 Depth Chart
PG - Isaian Washington (So) / Jamir Harris (So) / Freshman PG
SG - Dupree McBrayer (Sr) /Ahmad Gilbert (Sr) / Freshman Wing
SF - Amir Coffey (Jr) / Michael Hurt (Jr)
PF - Jordan Murphy (Sr) / Freshman SF/PF / Freshman PF/C
C - Eric Curry (Jr) / Freshman C

No way is Gilbert a guard. No way.

2nd time you've put this on this board, I'm starting to think you believe it.

I'd put even money on Gilbert being our "attrition" vs Gaston. He fits less in the future than Gas, and he probably has the ability to play elsewhere, cannot say the same with confidence for Gas.

No way is Gilbert a guard. No way.

2nd time you've put this on this board, I'm starting to think you believe it.

I'd put even money on Gilbert being our "attrition" vs Gaston. He fits less in the future than Gas, and he probably has the ability to play elsewhere, cannot say the same with confidence for Gas.

Not a lot of difference between SG and SF position-wise. I agree Gilbert is most likely to leave, I see Coffey and Hurt severely reducing Gilbert's PT in the coming years.

Not a lot of difference between SG and SF position-wise. I agree Gilbert is most likely to leave, I see Coffey and Hurt severely reducing Gilbert's PT in the coming years.

If Gilbert can shoot, he will have a fine career. Didn't he get hurt pretty badly last year? It would be good to see him play healthy for a year before we put him in the transfer lot.

If Gilbert is on the court and the one you consider the 2, that presumably means that whoever is considered the 3 has less guard skills than Gilbert does. That means we only have one ball handler out there and one guy who is good at defending quick guards. That would be a problem.

If Gilbert is on the court and the one you consider the 2, that presumably means that whoever is considered the 3 has less guard skills than Gilbert does. That means we only have one ball handler out there and one guy who is good at defending quick guards. That would be a problem.

Playing zone (which we do a lot of) could hide his lack of lateral quickness on defense. I think for short stretches we could see Mason, Gilbert, and someone like Fitzgerald, Coffey, or Hurt. I'm generally not a huge fan of Gilbert though, so I hope he isn't playing a lot of the 2 or the 3. I think we have better options this year and next.

If normal attrition patterns continue, look for a Juco center signing in the spring. That gives them an older center the year when the fall '17 recruits, which will need to include big guys, arrive on campus in the fall of '18.

Either that or the Epperson kid, seems like he wants to wait until Spring since he just moved to the states. Could be a great get

Epperson? What are his measurables?

As for Gilbert, I could see them encouraging him to go elsewhere if this season doesn't pan out for him. He could find another team. If he hurts the development of Hurt then that affects Matthew's recruitment. So I am not in favor of stringing him along and giving him to much of a chance.

Either that or the Epperson kid, seems like he wants to wait until Spring since he just moved to the states. Could be a great get
The connection with Epperson was Pomeday don't believe he is an option for the Gophers anymore.

Be finished with this class (assuming nobody transfers) and stay on Oturu's hip. He's better the Theo John right now. If we can land him '18 problem solved. Let's go Ben Johnson. You're the local guy. Young is doin his part on the east coast. Time for you step up with the locals!

Love this class u can never have to many guards!! And I be live there are more bigs that will fit this class the following year.

Top Bottom