All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

It depends on what you call the old days. Monson took Rico Tucker over Ben Woodside in 2005. Heck, Ross Travis just graduated from Penn State. I think he was undervalued in retrospect and would have looked good in Maroon and Gold. Jordair Jett came out in 2010, and I don't think we offered him (correct me if I'm wrong). I do distinctly remember posters on this board playing up his shortcomings. But he ended up leading Saint Louis into the Sweet Sixteen. Quite honestly, I could go on and on.

Again, not a criticism of those decisions; just a general theme of local guys being undervalued - that you can find good players under rocks around here. In some ways, that we see local guys play in our home towns with all their warts might cause us to underrate them.

I think this happens in every state.

So if someone doesn't make a decision on your arbitrary timeline, they never had interest? Makes sense!

The "arbitrary timeline" isn't really all that arbitrary. Guys commit at any time and a majority of them commit by this time of year. If Wright wanted to be here, he had every opportunity. Not sure how that is debatable. He's seen all there is to see here. He's taken unofficial visits, he's taken official visits, he's been to games and he knows some of the players. If that wasn't enough to get him here then what would've been?

Not saying he didn't have interest either. That's being a little obtuse on your part. He obviously had interest. Most of these guys narrow their lists to 3, 4 or 5 schools at some point - whatever it is, most kids do it - and Wright had enough interest to include us. Because like I said, kids like the idea of playing here until the moment of truth actually comes around. He had better offers. Not ripping the kid for his choice. I'd rather play at Dayton too. It's a better program. Just saying it's not like the Gophers screwed him at the last second. If he wanted to be here, he would've given that indication. It's not like Washington committed to the U in June. It's September. Signing period is what, six weeks away?

Does that make enough sense? Don't want to come off as snarky but c'mon. It's not that complicated.

I'm still trying to figure out who McKnight and Randy Beer are...
Randy Breuer. Damned autocorrect, it knows how much this team makes you want to drink... for all the wrong reasons.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Randy Breuer. Damned autocorrect, it knows how much this team makes you want to drink... for all the wrong reasons.

Did his dad go to Ohio also? I hear that's how you land legacy recruits.

Did his dad go to Ohio also? I hear that's how you land legacy recruits.
I don't know. We better ask Grandpa Sports. I'm sure he has a close personal friend there that knows.

Looks like Jamir Harris will visit Sept 29th.

Interesting. Kinda didn't think we'd take another guard. Is Bede still visiting? Wasn't he scheduled to visit this week or next?

Interesting. Kinda didn't think we'd take another guard. Is Bede still visiting? Wasn't he scheduled to visit this week or next?

Maybe we aren't taking another guard, but I bet it puts pressure on French or Bede(if visiting) to make a decision that weekend! Or Pitino knows something we don't about next year.

247 shows Bede visiting this weekend.

I want another guard and a big. Hopefully, we have something open up in the fall.

Maybe we aren't taking another guard, but I bet it puts pressure on French or Bede(if visiting) to make a decision that weekend! Or Pitino knows something we don't about next year. 247 shows Bede visiting this weekend.

Maybe we'd take French and Harris. Harris is known as scorer and shooter. Food for thought

Maybe we aren't taking another guard, but I bet it puts pressure on French or Bede(if visiting) to make a decision that weekend! Or Pitino knows something we don't about next year.

247 shows Bede visiting this weekend.

I believe Bede's visit was canceled as soon as Washington committed. 247 probably hasn't updated it yet.

I'd love to take Harris and French. You know a scholarship is going to open up by Spring. Happens every year.

Maybe we'd take French and Harris. Harris is known as scorer and shooter. Food for thought

The nearly eternal question is whether Pitino would over sign. No one knows the answer and I have no idea how frequent the practice is beyond the state of Indiana. The idea of bringing in a guy who can shoot is always attractive to me as a fan, but I would hate to soil the program with Creanitis if over signing is frowned on in the recruiting world. Intuitively, it would appear to be a low life tactic, but I have no idea how the culture works, either. On paper, we need a big guy. And shooters are always desirable.

I'd really like to add a big that can match up with bigger centers, but I suppose we could wait until next year. It would be nice to not have to rely too heavily on a freshman big man in two years, but Murphy/Curry/French(please!) could hold down the fort with their strength and athleticism while a frosh got his feet wet. We'd likely need to add two 2018 bigs who are ready to contribute (at least a little bit). Oturu and ???

The nearly eternal question is whether Pitino would over sign. No one knows the answer and I have no idea how frequent the practice is beyond the state of Indiana. The idea of bringing in a guy who can shoot is always attractive to me as a fan, but I would hate to soil the program with Creanitis if over signing is frowned on in the recruiting world. Intuitively, it would appear to be a low life tactic, but I have no idea how the culture works, either. On paper, we need a big guy. And shooters are always desirable.

It's like Herpes - once you have it, you can never completely get rid of it.

What is low down on this Harris guy?

What is low down on this Harris guy?

I'm wondering the same thing. I think this visit was scheduled previously. So is this just something that hasn't been updated on 247 or is he a fall back option to French (obviously different positions)? It seems odd to me that we would cancel the visit with Bede but keep this one.

I'm wondering the same thing. I think this visit was scheduled previously. So is this just something that hasn't been updated on 247 or is he a fall back option to French (obviously different positions)? It seems odd to me that we would cancel the visit with Bede but keep this one.

I would guess Bede cancelled with us once another guard committed, rather than the other way around.

Fran McCaffery just oversigned. Well technically no one has signed yet, but he has three verbal pledges with only one spot open next season. Now, one of those players is his son, Connor, so he could walk-on and Fran could pay his tuition. Even if that happens, Iowa still will have to find a way to open up a scholarship.

Fran McCaffery just oversigned. Well technically no one has signed yet, but he has three verbal pledges with only one spot open next season. Now, one of those players is his son, Connor, so he could walk-on and Fran could pay his tuition. Even if that happens, Iowa still will have to find a way to open up a scholarship.

Fran's kids probably get free tuition as a university employee. Maybe that is not the case for a state school though.

Could that be considered improper benefits? I thought I remembered some issue with Hanner Mosquera-Perea at Indiana a few years ago, where he was suspended for 10 games because his legal guardian made a donation to IU athletics 20 years ago or something, making him a booster, and meaning that him buying stuff for Hanner was against the rules.

Doogie just indicated the visits with Bede and Harris are both still on in a follow-up tweet.

I'm skeptical on Bede still visiting. His official visit was scheduled for today. I think we would have heard something if he was still coming.

I follow the Big pretty close not sure about the rest of the country but oversigning is done by just about every big ten school. Izzo,Beilein, Matta, Groce etc all have done it recently.

Top Bottom