All things fall practice camp

Rhoda. . .he didn't lose his starting job at Cretin. If he didn't start (and I think you're wrong on that), it was because of injury. Ricardo Johnson III never took Rhoda's job. He was a good HS QB. I'm pleasantly surprised he's had some success at the U, I thought he was a D2 guy. But he has a huge arm and he's a smart kid.

I don't know much about many of the QBs on the roster, but I do know about CDH players. RJ3 did not beat Rhoda out for the job, but Kevin Miley did. And Rhoda did not get hurt, he was just bad. Maybe it was something hiniky in his delivery, but he got pulled for reasons other than injury. Maybe the QB coach at the Gophers fixed everything and he'll be great now.

I really hate these type of posts. We all know who he was talking about. What's the point?

When people are posting about how much insight they have into position battles, I don't think it's too much to ask to get people's names spelled correctly.

And his last name is Roden-McKinzy. It it like it was when people would call AAK either Abdul or Khaliq. No...his last name is Abdul-Khaliq.

When people are posting about how much insight they have into position battles, I don't think it's too much to ask to get people's names spelled correctly.

And his last name is Roden-McKinzy. It it like it was when people would call AAK either Abdul or Khaliq. No...his last name is Abdul-Khaliq.

This is kind of dooshey since it's not the same thing at all. If you look Youtube you'll find vids of him going back 5 years with his own Father referring to him as Dimonic McKinzy, not Roden-McKinzy. NBC news featured him as Dimonic McKinzy. His HS Coach called him Dimonic McKinzy, no Roden. GopherSports.Com, the U's own website introduced him as part of the recruiting class as Dimonic McKinzy. Coach Kill introduced him as McKinzy at the social. You can hardly fault people for not adding Roden can you?

This is kind of dooshey since it's not the same thing at all. If you look Youtube you'll find vids of him going back 5 years with his own Father referring to him as Dimonic McKinzy, not Roden-McKinzy. NBC news featured him as Dimonic McKinzy. His HS Coach called him Dimonic McKinzy, no Roden. GopherSports.Com, the U's own website introduced him as part of the recruiting class as Dimonic McKinzy. Coach Kill introduced him as McKinzy at the social. You can hardly fault people for not adding Roden can you?

Recruits always seem to be adding on to their last name once they graduate HS. James Mcadoo changed it to James Michael Mccado, Michael Gilchrist changed it to Michael Kidd Gilchrist come to mind etc.

And Unregistered, its not just the names. It’s also comments like “He never coached at UNI, At NIU however…..” that make you sound rude.

Gopher linebacker De’Vondre Campbell bulks up to 200 pounds – or 239.7, to be exact.

By Joe Christensen

Gophers linebacker De'Vondre Campbell was a 6-5, 210-pound string bean when he was playing at Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College two years ago. He played at about 220 pounds last year in his first Big Ten season.
Today, he said, he weighed in at 239.7 pounds.

"I lost about a pound, but I’m trying to get back up to where I was," the junior from Fort Myers, Fla., said. "I think my highest [weight] over the summer was 243. I’m trying to stay up, you know. I gained about 20 pounds from last fall. I’m just trying to keep it up there, so I can become a better player."

Campbell made 41 tackles in 13 games last year and started three times but wound up sharing time with James Manuel, who has since graduated. This year, he's expected to become an every down player, alongside senior middle linebacker Damien Wilson.

"I feel a lot more comfortable because last year I was a lot more timid," Campbell said. "Because of my weight, I wasn’t comfortable playing at that weight. But now that I’ve got my weight up, I can actually play how I want to play, be more of a downhill player, taking on fullbacks, linemen."
Gophers defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys added: "I think the strength part of it is what’s helped him the most. He’s so much stronger."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/blogs/Gridiron_Gold.html

By Joe Christensen

Gophers linebacker De'Vondre Campbell was a 6-5, 210-pound string bean when he was playing at Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College two years ago. He played at about 220 pounds last year in his first Big Ten season.
Today, he said, he weighed in at 239.7 pounds.

"I lost about a pound, but I’m trying to get back up to where I was," the junior from Fort Myers, Fla., said. "I think my highest [weight] over the summer was 243. I’m trying to stay up, you know. I gained about 20 pounds from last fall. I’m just trying to keep it up there, so I can become a better player."

Campbell made 41 tackles in 13 games last year and started three times but wound up sharing time with James Manuel, who has since graduated. This year, he's expected to become an every down player, alongside senior middle linebacker Damien Wilson.

"I feel a lot more comfortable because last year I was a lot more timid," Campbell said. "Because of my weight, I wasn’t comfortable playing at that weight. But now that I’ve got my weight up, I can actually play how I want to play, be more of a downhill player, taking on fullbacks, linemen."
Gophers defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys added: "I think the strength part of it is what’s helped him the most. He’s so much stronger."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/blogs/Gridiron_Gold.html

This type of player transition/development from Juco to the B1G is the beauty of recruiting Jucos with 3 years to play. Campbell showed some glimpses last year. I expect a good season from Campbell this year, but next year, he can be an All B1G type player imo.

I’m expecting 6 or 7 sacks and 10 or 11 TFLs from Campbell and have a Theiren Cockran type of breakout year. They both have come in under very similar circumstances. He will be the most improved player out of anybody on the roster. Kill has said he has as much potential as Ra’Shede and could be a first round pick.

I don't think it's too much to ask to get people's names spelled correctly.

And, I don't think it is asking too much for a poster to realize who the guy was talking about (which you clearly did), and move on without being a DB. It is a message board for cripes sakes. Or, if you're gonna be a DB, at least be a little clever. The old "who is ????, never heard of him" thing wasn't even interesting on 2002 message boards when people actually used that line.

And, I don't think it is asking too much for a poster to realize who the guy was talking about (which you clearly did), and move on without being a DB. It is a message board for cripes sakes. Or, if you're gonna be a DB, at least be a little clever. The old "who is ????, never heard of him" thing wasn't even interesting on 2002 message boards when people actually used that line.

Yeah! If you are going to be a dbag, be a clever dbag so at least we can snicker while we admonish you!

Steven Richardson looks like he's going to be a terror. His size is great for a NT/1-technique and I don't doubt that he'll get bigger. 5-11 285

I continue to be intrigued by Steve Richardson, physically he has no business being in the B1G but he apparently continues to impress.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...ds-dc-tracy-claeys-to-evaluate-freshmen-soon/

He has a freakish build, in a good way. Squat, solid, powerful DT with speed and aggression = impact player. His height will actually be an advantage in some ways. I dimly remember watching both his and his linemate's hudl at Mt. Carmel and perhaps I'm being a homer but Richardson seemed to be more involved in disrupting the backfield than his more highly rated 4 star teammate.

This has probably been posted so apologies to the anal-retentives out there, not that you know who you are.

When and where is the scrimmage this weekend? Is it worth going to, ie is it an actual game situation or more of a practice? I'm back in MN for the week and am weighing on how to invest my (limited) free time.

Per the "First day in pads" clip I have to agree that it is important to meet your teammates, not only those from your unit. I remember as a kid watching a pre-season clip of the Iowa Hawkeyes on that Mason City station. It was during the Bob Commings era. They interviewed a player and he said something like, "Yeah, I don't know his name but there's a new running back who is real good." My thought was - that is not a team. Go Gophers!

I continue to be intrigued by Steve Richardson, physically he has no business being in the B1G but he apparently continues to impress.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...ds-dc-tracy-claeys-to-evaluate-freshmen-soon/

Not trying to pile on, but for clarification Richardson is physically very similar in build to Roland Johnson. You're right in that his he's short, but his weight/strength are just fine. Frankly, if he was 6'3" instead of 5'11", he'd probably have chosen between Notre Dame, Ohio St, Michigan, etc. & we likely wouldn't have gotten a sniff of him. Bottom line is he can play, he can play right now & he can make a difference. I think we got a good one.

mkAz: "...physically he has no business being in the B1G..." . Obviously you are one dumb schidt.

To be fair there aren’t many 5-11 DTs in the Big Ten. And if he was 6-4 he wouldn’t be as strong as he is at 5-11.

Agreed. With the demands of his particular technique, getting low & penetrating are the desired strengths. So his 5'11 frame can be seen as an advantage.

I don't care how far off the ground the dude stands. if he can play DT and the coaches believe he can help us win games I am all for a 5'11" DT

Bottom line is stopping the run game and getting pressure on the QB anyway you can. Defense is all about desire.

Top Bottom