All Things Daniel Oturu Recruiting Thread UPDATED: OTURU A GOPHER!

They all switched to the Gophers now.

If he commits, do we still go after Race Thompson still? Not sure how similar their games are.

Definitely. Race is more of a stretch 4 who might be able to play some at the 3 in college as well. Oturu, I see playing Center with his rebounding and shot-blocking prowess.

lol and it would have been 5 with Fitzgerald, correct? I presume he's getting a medical red shirt this year.

It might still be 5. The NCAA changed their rules to where it is really hard to get a 6th year of eligibility (one for medical and one for transfer).

We have 5 for the 18 class depending on Fitzgerald...also Pitino offered a 2017 center this week....which would mean an underclassman isn't returning...perhaps Gas? Centers take awhile to develop so I hope we can get a center this year. It would also even the classes out a bit.

Thanks for the info everyone. I don't follow recruiting as much as I used to so wasn't sure how similar or different their games are.

I'm going to guess that Gas's scholarship is already taken next year considering we have two signed commits and only one SR.

We have an "open" scholarship right now. I think one of the previous walk-ons is getting it right now. thats were the 2nd scholarship next year comes from.

Darin Haugh has the second SR scholarship this year, i think

We have an "open" scholarship right now. I think one of the previous walk-ons is getting it right now. thats were the 2nd scholarship next year comes from.

Thanks, I did not know that. However they did offer another 2017 center yesterday.

Per Marcus:

The Gophers have a chance to land the state's top post player in the Class of 2018, Cretin-Derham Hall's Daniel Oturu, who is expected to announce his decision Thursday afternoon.

Oturu moved up his announcement a day after initially tweeting Wednesday night his decision would come Friday morning. The 6-foot-9, 220-pound junior will pick from high-major scholarship offers from Kansas, Minnesota, Texas, Baylor, Nebraska, Georgia Tech and Memphis.

The biggest game of the season so far is coming up for Minnesota coach Richard Pitino and his team Saturday afternoon against rival Wisconsin at Williams Arena. Oturu said this week he will attend the game, which is a good sign.

“Minnesota is off to a great start, hopefully they keep winning,” Oturu said Monday. “It helps with our community”

http://www.startribune.com/four-sta...sion-to-thursday-gophers-favorites/411208435/

Go Gophers!!

You definitely still take Race Thompson is Oturu commits. They would compliment each other nicely.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I just spoke to a guy the other day that said that some of the local kids have been talking together about getting together a great group that comes together to the U to win a championship. With the recruits Pitino has been bringing and the Minnesota classes coming -it's a possibility. I am hopeful on this one!

Tell us more about this guy.

This is all the Coffey Effect! Keep it coming Minnesota kids! R.Thompson your next! Tre! Gabe! Hurt lets go!

What about Gilbert he hasn't played in the Big Ten yet?

Then he better grow.

1) He's 6'9 and probably still growing.

2) He's a junior in High School

3) He has a 7'1 wing span

4) He's only played center in his life

5) He averages about 15 boards and close to 6 blocks a game

Sounds like a center to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've read, they (the coaches) expect Oturu to get bigger. they think he has the frame to put on a decent amount of weight/muscle.

College hoop scene is changing. Don't have to be the traditional 6'10", 6'11" kid to play center with back to the basket. If you're a solid 6'9" with muscle and decent leaping ability, that makes you a legit D1 center in today's game.

Top Bottom