All Things Daniel Oturu Recruiting Thread UPDATED: OTURU A GOPHER!

Ryan James tweeting Kansas hasn't been here to see him once. Doogie being coy too, which I've learned may mean he knows something but doesn't want to take away from their big day...hmmmm

Oturu has not visited Kansas FYI. Doesn't mean he won't choose them but it would be a big decision to make without even making a visit.

I just spoke to a guy the other day that said that some of the local kids have been talking together about getting together a great group that comes together to the U to win a championship. With the recruits Pitino has been bringing and the Minnesota classes coming -it's a possibility. I am hopeful on this one!

I just spoke to a guy the other day that said that some of the local kids have been talking together about getting together a great group that comes together to the U to win a championship. With the recruits Pitino has been bringing and the Minnesota classes coming -it's a possibility. I am hopeful on this one!

Thompson, Oruro, Tre Jones with Coffey as a junior? Hmmmm...

After the Reid Travis situation, I just don't feel good about this. Hope I'm wrong

MJH said all signs point to MN and his Kansas contact doesn't think it will be KU. I'd be surprised if he weren't a gopher. He hasn't even visited KU yet anyways.

After the Reid Travis situation, I just don't feel good about this. Hope I'm wrong

The difference here is that Reid visited Stanford. Oturu's only visits have been here and they have been numerous. As someone else posted, Kansas hasn't been up to the Twin Cities to visit with Oturu at all this winter.

The difference here is that Reid visited Stanford. Oturu's only visits have been here and they have been numerous. As someone else posted, Kansas hasn't been up to the Twin Cities to visit with Oturu at all this winter.

I think you're on to something. Even though it's Kansas, I'd be very surprised if he ended up there without visiting.

It's this kind of talk that makes me tingly all over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please don't set us up for heart break. :(

Did he visit Creighton? With the year they are having, I'd assume there is some allure there. I see 247 shows his top 3 as MN, KU and Creighton.

Just watched the video of his recent match up with Ruevers. It's clear who was the Jr. and who was the Sr. - but holy cow, Daniel has developed a ton in the past year. If he continues on that pace he should be very effective at the next level, needs to continue developing post moves / be a little more heady around the basket. What a great get this would be, especially heading into maybe the biggest game of the season. Fingers crossed!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg5NRYs86aM

Announcement moved up to today

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I really hope you are right. An early commit from a recruit like Oturu sends a message to other recruits that they will have other highly regarded players to play with.

Let's add Darrell's son and Tre Jones to the mix with Oturu. That would be an excellent class of players, and Pitino wouldn't have to worry about filling up the gas tank! :)

Announcement now today:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I really hope you are right. An early commit from a recruit like Oturu sends a message to other recruits that they will have other highly regarded players to play with.

Let's add Darrell's son and Tre Jones to the mix with Oturu. That would be an excellent class of players, and Pitino wouldn't have to worry about filling up the gas tank! :)

Excellent? That would be ELITE!

He has only re-tweeted one college since announcing his announcement, and it was the GOPHERS. I'm thinking he will be Golden. Would be a huge start to the '18 class.

Getting ahead of myself here, but Oturu would be one in an impressive line of four-star recruits by Pitino: Jarvis Johnson, Kevin Dorsey, Amir Coffey & Isaiah Washington. Even though Johnson and Dorsey are no longer competing for us, you can't fault Richard's results.

They all switched to the Gophers now.

If he commits, do we still go after Race Thompson still? Not sure how similar their games are.

While both are roughly 6'7/6'8 and both known for shot blocking, Race is a pure shooter that can be versatile as a stretch 4 with some ball handling abilities while Oturu plays almost entirely on the block. As far as I know, they would be a perfect compliment to each other that would play together as opposed to fighting for minutes.

If he commits, do we still go after Race Thompson still? Not sure how similar their games are.

I believe we should have at least 3 scholarships for '18? I would think we'd take both. I feel like there's room for 2 top 100 bigs when you have a third scholarship for a guard. Especially since we have two guards and no bigs in the '17 class.

Based on the footage I've seen I think so. Race projects as more of a wing, he actually has a pretty nice 3 pt stroke, and a pretty decent handle on the perimeter. Reminds me of a Michael Beasley type game. Oturu looks like a pure post player right now with a pretty solid face up game, could maybe develop a Nigel Hayes dimension if he can start knocking down 3s.

Just awesome to be projecting this kind of recruiting class this early (knock on wood).

I believe we should have at least 3 scholarships for '18? I would think we'd take both. I feel like there's room for 2 top 100 bigs when you have a third scholarship for a guard. Especially since we have two guards and no bigs in the '17 class.

Believe we have 4 forsure: Lynch, Mason, BK, Gas

So 5 then, I believe we get 2 scholarships to replace Gas's contributions.

lol and it would have been 5 with Fitzgerald, correct? I presume he's getting a medical red shirt this year.

Getting ahead of myself here, but Oturu would be one in an impressive line of four-star recruits by Pitino: Jarvis Johnson, Kevin Dorsey, Isaiah Washington. Even though Johnson and Dorsey are no longer competing for us, you can't fault Richard's results.

And Coffey?

Top Bottom