"All Things" Curse

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
As we lose another highly touted recruit to another school, it again raises something that’s intrigued me since joining GH 7 years ago: that we invest significantly more time, opinion and debate on players that ultimately choose not to attend the University of Minnesota than on those that do. I did a bit of investigating, looking at the “All Things” recruiting threads over the years, and discovered the most prolific threads are without question posted on players who end up signing elsewhere, while most of our current roster, and two of our biggest stars from the last decade (Mason and Murphy) never had any discussion at all (i.e. no “All Things…” pages dedicated to them) prior to signing. Even our recent local signings – Coffey, Oturu, Johnson and Omersa – while having decent levels of discussion about them, are in the middle third when compared to non-Gophers. This is simply an observation I’ve had for a number of years now, that there was an All Things Curse. I don’t know that there’s a hugely salient point to this research beyond that, but I find it intriguing (and fun). I do, as a result, suggest we stop all comments on Chet Holmgren’s All Things thread (currently at 11 pages) immediately.

The Lost Boys

AT Tyus Jones thread (later renamed): 95 pages (Duke)
AT Reid Travis thread (later renamed): 80 pages (Stanford)
AT Rashad Vaughn thread (later renamed): 73 pages (UNLV)
AT Matthew Hurt thread: 72 pages (Duke)
AT Kerwin Walton thread: 59 pages (North Carolina)
AT Dawson Garcia thread: 36 pages (Marquette)
AT Tre Jones thread: 27 pages (Duke)
AT Jalen Suggs thread: 26 pages (Gonzaga)
AT Nathan Reuvers thread: 10 pages (Wisconsin)
AT Theo John thread: 8 pages (Marquette)
AT Ben Carlson thread: 8 pages (Wisconsin)
AT Dain Dainja thread: 7 pages (Baylor)
AT McKinley Wright thread: 7 pages (Colorado)
AT Zeke Nnaji thread: 7 pages (Arizona)
AT Tyrell Terry thread: 3 pages (Stanford)
AT Gabe Madsen thread: 3 pages (Cincinnati)

Actual Gophers!

AT Amir Coffey thread: 34 pages
AT Jarvis Johnson thread: 24 pages
AT Daniel Oturu thread: 15 pages
AT Gabe Kalscheur thread: 12 pages
AT Jarvis Omersa thread: 9 pages
AT Tre Williams thread: 9 pages
AT Eric Curry thread: 3 pages
AT Jamal Mashburn Jr thread: 0 pages
AT Martice Mitchell thread: 0 pages
AT Bryan Greenlee thread: 0 pages
AT Sam Freeman thread: 0 pages
AT Isaiah Ihnen thread: 0 pages
AT Jordan Murphy thread: 0 pages
AT Nate Mason thread: 0 pages

This is some fun research. I suspect there is an important factor under the hood though, and that being that the recruits in the "lost" section are favorites at other schools for most (all?) of their recruitments.

I guess that stirs up more conversation.

Also, at least for Kerwin, if he had been a man of his word and announced on Saturday, that probably shaves off a good 20 pages? Still up there though.

As we lose another highly touted recruit to another school, it again raises something that’s intrigued me since joining GH 7 years ago: that we invest significantly more time, opinion and debate on players that ultimately choose not to attend the University of Minnesota than on those that do. I did a bit of investigating, looking at the “All Things” recruiting threads over the years, and discovered the most prolific threads are without question posted on players who end up signing elsewhere, while most of our current roster, and two of our biggest stars from the last decade (Mason and Murphy) never had any discussion at all (i.e. no “All Things…” pages dedicated to them) prior to signing. Even our recent local signings – Coffey, Oturu, Johnson and Omersa – while having decent levels of discussion about them, are in the middle third when compared to non-Gophers. This is simply an observation I’ve had for a number of years now, that there was an All Things Curse. I don’t know that there’s a hugely salient point to this research beyond that, but I find it intriguing (and fun). I do, as a result, suggest we stop all comments on Chet Holmgren’s All Things thread (currently at 11 pages) immediately.

The Lost Boys

AT Tyus Jones thread (later renamed): 95 pages (Duke)
AT Reid Travis thread (later renamed): 80 pages (Stanford)
AT Rashad Vaughn thread (later renamed): 73 pages (UNLV)
AT Matthew Hurt thread: 72 pages (Duke)
AT Kerwin Walton thread: 59 pages (North Carolina)
AT Dawson Garcia thread: 36 pages (Marquette)
AT Tre Jones thread: 27 pages (Duke)
AT Jalen Suggs thread: 26 pages (Gonzaga)
AT Nathan Reuvers thread: 10 pages (Wisconsin)
AT Theo John thread: 8 pages (Marquette)
AT Ben Carlson thread: 8 pages (Wisconsin)
AT Dain Dainja thread: 7 pages (Baylor)
AT McKinley Wright thread: 7 pages (Colorado)
AT Zeke Nnaji thread: 7 pages (Arizona)
AT Tyrell Terry thread: 3 pages (Stanford)
AT Gabe Madsen thread: 3 pages (Cincinnati)

Actual Gophers!

AT Amir Coffey thread: 34 pages
AT Jarvis Johnson thread: 24 pages
AT Daniel Oturu thread: 15 pages
AT Gabe Kalscheur thread: 12 pages
AT Jarvis Omersa thread: 9 pages
AT Tre Williams thread: 9 pages
AT Eric Curry thread: 3 pages
AT Jamal Mashburn Jr thread: 0 pages
AT Martice Mitchell thread: 0 pages
AT Bryan Greenlee thread: 0 pages
AT Sam Freeman thread: 0 pages
AT Isaiah Ihnen thread: 0 pages
AT Jordan Murphy thread: 0 pages
AT Nate Mason thread: 0 pages

I must admit I admire a guy who has and/or is willing to dedicate the time to come up with this. I feel like I spend a pretty fair amount of time reading through this forum, but I can't imagine being able to work on this project. Curious, just how long did it take you to research this?

Seeing how the "Actual Gophers" list only contains 5 hometown recruits and they are the 5 longest threads, you can see how "homerism" contributes to the impact on the discussion.

5 threads of Gopher home boys vs. 16 threads of non Gopher home boys. That's like what? 1 out of 4. That's not that bad considering the quality of the recruits. Go back a few more years and it may get better with Royce and Rodney.

Out of towners have shorter legs just because we usually are like "We recruited who?"

I must admit I admire a guy who has and/or is willing to dedicate the time to come up with this. I feel like I spend a pretty fair amount of time reading through this forum, but I can't imagine being able to work on this project. Curious, just how long did it take you to research this?

Well thanks. It didn't take long, probably an hour just using the search function. I had to occasionally look at old recruting lists to remember who to search for since my aging brain can't recall these things are clearly as I once could.

The u is now missing on the urban kids and the suburban/rural kids. Pitino is smart and will ‘move on’ when coyle says ‘quit or be fired’.

Seeing how the "Actual Gophers" list only contains 5 hometown recruits and they are the 5 longest threads, you can see how "homerism" contributes to the impact on the discussion.

5 threads of Gopher home boys vs. 16 threads of non Gopher home boys. That's like what? 1 out of 4. That's not that bad considering the quality of the recruits. Go back a few more years and it may get better with Royce and Rodney.

Out of towners have shorter legs just because we usually are like "We recruited who?"

There was an AT Royce White thread that was 32 pages, but it didn't start until after he was at ISU, so I didn't count it, but I imagine his recruiting thread was very long. Nothing came up for Rodney either (or the Hollins brothers for that matter). Not saying GHers didn't engage on those guys in any way, only that I couldn't find their AT lists, perhaps because they're older and the archives doesn't reach back that far...don't know.

On the women's board Bueckers is on page 14, and people are still posting.

I mused that people will still be posting in 15 years, when she's has won a couple of WNBA MVPs and some Gold Medals.

The u is now missing on the urban kids and the suburban/rural kids. Pitino is smart and will ‘move on’ when coyle says ‘quit or be fired’.

He's done after this year. He's the one person that perhaps the virus saved a job.

He's done after this year. He's the one person that perhaps the virus saved a job.
While I think you're probably right, I'm hoping we see real progress from our coach and our team exceeds expectations. Nothing recruits like success. Either we have a great year we can build on moving forward or we get excited about the next coach. Life would be easier if Pitino could turn the corner.

I'd say that's because the guys that we lose out on are typically much higher rated and better players than the guys we get and thus, the higher rated 5 star guys generate way more interest and talk than the 4 and 3 star guys that we do end up getting.

Also if a guy like Oturu or Coffey commits early, there isn't asmuch to discuss in terms of recruitment as we already know we got him and we don't have to worry about it anymore.

I think if Robbins and Petersen become eligible, we make the tourney and Pitino gets another year. If they have to sit, we miss the tourney badly and he gets fired. All comes down the the NCAA ruling IMO.

I think if Robbins and Petersen become eligible, we make the tourney and Pitino gets another year. If they have to sit, we miss the tourney badly and he gets fired. All comes down the the NCAA ruling IMO.

Must be a great feeling for Pitino knowing his job basically hinges on which way the wind is blowing when the NCAA makes their decisions.

Instead of "All Things" We should use "Wasted Comments About the recruitment of" threads!

See if that deters the amount of pages used in the pursuit of the players.

On the women's board Bueckers is on page 14, and people are still posting.

I mused that people will still be posting in 15 years, when she's has won a couple of WNBA MVPs and some Gold Medals.
Shame on her for not picking the hometown team. That UCONN program must cheat to win all those games.

So new recruiting threads should be "Everything About" instead of "All Things"?

I'd say that's because the guys that we lose out on are typically much higher rated and better players than the guys we get and thus, the higher rated 5 star guys generate way more interest and talk than the 4 and 3 star guys that we do end up getting.

Also if a guy like Oturu or Coffey commits early, there isn't asmuch to discuss in terms of recruitment as we already know we got him and we don't have to worry about it anymore.

This is exactly it.

So new recruiting threads should be "Everything About" instead of "All Things"?
I've put a lot of thought into this, more than a few seconds, and here are my suggestions:

1. A Gopher Fans Fantasy Recruiting thread on____________

2. We have no Chance at Recruiting ___________

3. Pitino Flailing Recruiting Attempt at ____________

4. BuiltBadger's Pitino Bashing Recruiting in regards to __________

5. Pick which school _________ will play for after keeping us around till the end.

I'm all about #4!!!!! Whichever one we pick will end up being that one anyway!

Not bashed his recruiting. He has recruited well enough to win. Stating facts of won lose record or one winning conference season is a fact. He has built those facts not me.

Not bashed his recruiting. He has recruited well enough to win. Stating facts of won lose record or one winning conference season is a fact. He has built those facts not me.
Double minded person is unstable in all ways

Fair enough Built! How About:

BuiltBadgers Hijacked Pitino Bash formerly about recruiting _________________

Fair enough Built! How About:

BuiltBadgers Hijacked Pitino Bash formerly about recruiting _________________
Apologize for the numerous times i have participated in posting things that belong in a different thread.

Top Bottom