All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Time to start recruiting hard workers that can defend and shoot three. Realize it isn't going to happen here by getting high end talent. Need 4 year guys that want to work their behind off and can shoot the ball and are willing to absolutely lock down guys on defense. Chasing the apple hasn't worked for Richard. He needs to identify the exact type of player he needs to fit his system and get them here and coach them up. One of the main problems I've seen with his rosters over the years is that the sum of all parts is not always greater than the talent of the individual. There seems to be no plan. If he can't change this, he will likely not be successful here. As of now, it is obvious high end players will not pick the U when they are offered by almost any other program that has any type of success whatsoever.

Walton or Sibley are both still available and wanted! Either or is still a possibility.

Not sure if this was posted or not, but Sibley is off the board.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/committed?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#committed</a> <a href="https://t.co/sDYnDxJxuF">pic.twitter.com/sDYnDxJxuF</a></p>&mdash; Jamari Sibley (@sibley_jamari) <a href="">November 29, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Are we sure pitino is done with 2019? Some crazy things going on in basketball as the transfer portal is already growing
ISU/Prohm lost two of his four freshmen just as the season was starting and prohm mentioned maybe taking a mid year transfer

Are we sure pitino is done with 2019? Some crazy things going on in basketball as the transfer portal is already growing
ISU/Prohm lost two of his four freshmen just as the season was starting and prohm mentioned maybe taking a mid year transfer
They already gave the open scholarship to Rudrud. Can't imagine they'd pull it from under him.

Watched the CDH vs Minnehaha game last night. Lots of talent all over the floor.

where ever Hadley ends up going he is gonna be a bucket getter for sure!

Watched the CDH vs Minnehaha game last night. Lots of talent all over the floor.

where ever Hadley ends up going he is gonna be a bucket getter for sure!

I don't get it with Hadley, seems like he could at least be a mid major prospect, but he barely has any offers.

Hadley D’d up Holmgren blocked his shot three times. Good player he is a tweener best position at times is power forward.

Just watched an extended highlight video of that game. Sad I didn't watch it, looks like it was very intense and hard fought.

He's not 2020 but I really hope Holloman comes here. I have to imagine Izzo is gonna really come after him. He's the next Cassius Winston. Hard nosed, tough, wears his emotion on his sleeve and is a true floor general. Pitino needs to be relentless on his recruiting, Holloman is a 4 year starter imo.

His jumper is his Achilles needs to work on it everything else is there. If he develops a jumper he could be Cassius like- not saying Cassius but like him if he does not he could be Tum Tum like- not saying he is Tum Tum. The kid is 15!

His jumper is his Achilles needs to work on it everything else is there. If he develops a jumper he could be Cassius like- not saying Cassius but like him if he does not he could be Tum Tum like- not saying he is Tum Tum. The kid is 15!
Agreed

Any word on another big we are pursuing? I was hoping we could make a run at someone who could contribute right away. We could very well end up with another run at a Grad Transfer (or maybe a juco?).

per Sid:

Recruits thriving

One bright spot for Pitino is he already has landed two recruits for next season, guard Jamal Mashburn Jr. of Brewster (N.H.) Academy and forward Martice Mitchell of Bloom (Ill.) High School in Chicago Heights. Both are four-star recruits, according to 247sports.com.

The coaches of those two players report that they are vital members of squads that will compete for state championships in the coming weeks.

Brewster Academy coach Jason Smith said in an e-mail that the 6-foot Mashburn is a captain for the team, which is 29-2 overall and will be the No. 1 seed in the upcoming New England Prep School Class AAA tournament. They have eight players committed to Division I programs.

Mashburn is averaging 11 points per game and is typically called upon to defend the other team’s top scoring guard, Smith noted.

Mitchell’s team is having similar success, according to coach Dante Maddox Sr., who noted his club is 26-6 and viewed as either the top-ranked or second-best team in Illinois, depending on the poll.

Maddox said a leg injury limited the 6-10 Mitchell early in the season, but he has come on of late for a team with five D-I starters.

In recent games against ranked opponents, Mitchell had one contest with 12 points, 12 rebounds and seven blocks and another with 17 points, 14 rebounds and four blocks. He is averaging 9.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.6 blocks.

“He is a leader who plays with a high motor and passion,” Maddox said. “He will need to be a major contributor, in that he is our biggest advantage, in order to win a state title.”

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Recruits thriving

One bright spot for Pitino is he already has landed two recruits for next season, guard Jamal Mashburn Jr. of Brewster (N.H.) Academy and forward Martice Mitchell of Bloom (Ill.) High School in Chicago Heights. Both are four-star recruits, according to 247sports.com.

The coaches of those two players report that they are vital members of squads that will compete for state championships in the coming weeks.

Brewster Academy coach Jason Smith said in an e-mail that the 6-foot Mashburn is a captain for the team, which is 29-2 overall and will be the No. 1 seed in the upcoming New England Prep School Class AAA tournament. They have eight players committed to Division I programs.

Mashburn is averaging 11 points per game and is typically called upon to defend the other team’s top scoring guard, Smith noted.

Mitchell’s team is having similar success, according to coach Dante Maddox Sr., who noted his club is 26-6 and viewed as either the top-ranked or second-best team in Illinois, depending on the poll.

Maddox said a leg injury limited the 6-10 Mitchell early in the season, but he has come on of late for a team with five D-I starters.

In recent games against ranked opponents, Mitchell had one contest with 12 points, 12 rebounds and seven blocks and another with 17 points, 14 rebounds and four blocks. He is averaging 9.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.6 blocks.

“He is a leader who plays with a high motor and passion,” Maddox said. “He will need to be a major contributor, in that he is our biggest advantage, in order to win a state title.”

Go Gophers!!
I hope this is an error that Mashburn is averaging 11 points a game? Yikes. He's routinely been praised for his shooting/scoring abilities and dinged for his inability to play the point as a 6'0 guard. I would hope he was filling it up for Brewster even though prep ball is a much higher level of competition than your typical high school game.

I've been able to follow the Mitchell stats all year and have been less than impressed both by the stats and the impressions people have shared of his game on Twitter. That's not to say he won't be good in time, just that he has a long way to go and some of it (ability to put on size) might be out of his control.

I hope this is an error that Mashburn is averaging 11 points a game? Yikes. He's routinely been praised for his shooting/scoring abilities and dinged for his inability to play the point as a 6'0 guard. I would hope he was filling it up for Brewster even though prep ball is a much higher level of competition than your typical high school game.

I've been able to follow the Mitchell stats all year and have been less than impressed both by the stats and the impressions people have shared of his game on Twitter. That's not to say he won't be good in time, just that he has a long way to go and some of it (ability to put on size) might be out of his control.
To be fair both play on very solid programs with many other D1 recruits. That does make stats less important or more diluted.

Every starter on both of their teams will be playing d1 bball, mashburns team especially loaded and mitchell was working through injury earlier in the year. They will be fine i am excited to see them play next year

What’s the 3pt%? I watched him in HS and he had limited range. Maybe he improved?

On the assumption that there will be at least one defection via transfer, plus Oturu leaves, we'd have three schollies to work with. In which case, Kpegeol could be a potentially useful rotation piece.

This team obviously needs more readymade upper-echelon contributors to push people into natural spots on the food chain, but if they aren't going to get that via transfer market or high-end recruiting, there's something to be said about the value of simply having 8 or 9 playable guys.

Can Kpegeol be a rotation player? I remember him being a big, strong, physical lead guard at North St. Paul. Not a good shooter and I suspect that hasn't changed a ton (34 percent is fine, but you probably knock 5 percent off that at least with increased competition), but can he break down a first-row defender and create a shot for somebody? Because besides Carr, this team is devoid of that skill.

And it would be a way to reach the quota (or at least get closer) for the locals clamoring for more of us.

He’s a decent piece as a defender and someone who can get to the bucket. I’ve gone back n forth on him for years on if he’s worth an offer.
I personally think not, but I'd like to know more about him, including how his KSU situation fell through. And the question with his shooting is whether it can improve with work.

Any chatter on the center position? I would suspect that we would be an intriguing option for any blossoming spring recruits, current commits who get released, or transfers.

Pitino and assistants did a good job developing Oturu in a short time, and this team will be competitive* next year if they can shore up center defensively and add at least some offensive threat. This isn’t a bad place for a talented center to walk into next year.

*they were competing this year, just on the losing side too often. Oturu gone leaves a hole, but expect every other player to become at least more efficient in their respective roles.

Top Bottom