All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Gaston can run the floor. Whether he will ever shoot well enough from the perimeter is another question. A little too early to tell on him don't you think?

My thoughts exactly. Way too early to make any assumptions about Gaston. The fact that he took some outside shots in games (although it didn't go well) leads me to believe he shows decent shooting range in practice and might be able to knock down some shots in games.

Be careful you don't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

Do you ever wonder why many on this board react so negatively to what you have to say? It's unfortunate that your tone and seemingly self-serving attitude gets in the way because I think you bring a lot of quality information and insight to our community.

+1. His ego comes before whatever useful info he might have (and before actually rooting for the Gophers.)

OK let's make a deal. If people want to say that Gaston and Lynch are going to be 4's, fine. But then let's shut up with all the chatter about players fitting in to Pitino's system.

Only okay if we always have a stretch 4 as our starting power forward. If we just have a mobile big that can run and defend and hit a mid-range jumper(Harrel and Patrick young come to mind in similar systems) then no.

Be careful you don't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

Do you ever wonder why many on this board react so negatively to what you have to say? It's unfortunate that your tone and seemingly self-serving attitude gets in the way because I think you bring a lot of quality information and insight to our community.

Yep. It's a vicious cycle at this point. I can't say anything without the usual suspects being dinks.

But, the biggest impact is this: I don't share much on here (or elsewhere, publicly) because of it.

Oh well. But, thank you for the kind words (and your not so kind commentary is understandable).

What were the big time offers that Gilbert received in the last ten days? Not being snarky, genuinely asking.

Things have changed. Today, we look for character guys not skillful ones. Yesterday, we killed the previous regime to go after this type of kids. Life is all about adjustments. On this message board, people have adjusted well.

Yep. It's a vicious cycle at this point. I can't say anything without the usual suspects being dinks.

But, the biggest impact is this: I don't share much on here (or elsewhere, publicly) because of it.

Oh well. But, thank you for the kind words (and your not so kind commentary is understandable).

For what it's worth GW, and I know we've butted heads a few times & probably will again in the future, your contributions are valuable. You have a lot of good takes, and are clearly plugged in to the recruiting side of things. I especially appreciate that because I don't follow recruiting closely unless it's a Minnesota kid. Thanks.

What were the big time offers that Gilbert received in the last ten days? Not being snarky, genuinely asking.

I assume he had one from pitt as well seen as Jamie Dixon was doing visits to him. But I'm not sure beyond this and I'm actually not even certain he had a non-contingent offer from pitt.

The three that I was thinking about when I posted earlier were Wichita State, Pittsburgh, and the Gophers. I think he was also getting interest from Rutgers and Temple, but I'm not sure if he was officially offered by those two. If you include his previous offers, he does have a better list than Sacar -- I don't think that is debatable.

Edit -- I think the Wichita State offer was from before, but I thought I read his offer was still committable. In a quick google search, I found all the references to the Pittsburgh offer but couldn't find the Wichita State comment.

The three that I was thinking about when I posted earlier were Wichita State, Pittsburgh, and the Gophers. I think he was also getting interest from Rutgers and Temple, but I'm not sure if he was officially offered by those two. If you include his previous offers, he does have a better list than Sacar -- I don't think that is debatable.

Edit -- I think the Wichita State offer was from before, but I thought I read his offer was still committable. In a quick google search, I found all the references to the Pittsburgh offer but couldn't find the Wichita State comment.

I only saw that Pitt offered since he decomitted, everything else was pre commitment to GM.

I only saw that Pitt offered since he decomitted, everything else was pre commitment to GM.

Evan Daniels also included references to Boston College, South Florida, and Penn State in his story, although did not reference any official offers.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yep. It's a vicious cycle at this point. I can't say anything without the usual suspects being dinks. But, the biggest impact is this: I don't share much on here (or elsewhere, publicly) because of it. Oh well. But, thank you for the kind words (and your not so kind commentary is understandable).
I agree that some are too quick to argue against anything/everything you say, and I do value your contributions. I just wish the boards could get away from the junior high-style snarkiness and unnecessary arguing for the sake of arguing. Maybe I'm the only one. Oh, well. Ski-U-Mah nonetheless!

My thoughts exactly. Way too early to make any assumptions about Gaston. The fact that he took some outside shots in games (although it didn't go well) leads me to believe he shows decent shooting range in practice and might be able to knock down some shots in games.

I wouldn't care if he averaged 2.0 points per game in 20 minutes a game if he just attacked the boards with a vengeance. If the Gophers don't get a big man committal with the last scholarship, he may have to play more and if he can play defense and rebound like someone who really means it that could be enough from him to help the team succeed. The trouble with hoping for that vision of him is that he often looked like he was playing in an overly starched tuxedo this season.

This team will have its fair share of shooters (whether most of them will be makers is another question). What it really needs is someone who rebounds with abandon.

You're on a roll with your predictions now, GW. Way to go! Want to bet a burrito that the U breaks ground on facilities this fall?

Yes, I would. (I win if they do not begin construction this fall (which ends.... when?). You win if they do.

I agree that some are too quick to argue against anything/everything you say, and I do value your contributions. I just wish the boards could get away from the junior high-style snarkiness and unnecessary arguing for the sake of arguing. Maybe I'm the only one. Oh, well. Ski-U-Mah nonetheless!

+1

I think Gilbert will be a solid contributor and is a good late addition. I would have preferred Ellison over him but you can't wait around for him to make a decision and try to have Gilbert wait to commit because then you risk the chance of ending up without both Ellison and Gilbert.

Not a name that really sticks out at me, but the fact that he's a 6'7 wing has me intrigued. I'm willing to give him a chance, and maybe he turns out to be a really special player for the Gophers.

Yes, I would. (I win if they do not begin construction this fall (which ends.... when?). You win if they do.

Well Autumn technically ends on Dec 21, but I think we can agree that that's well into winter. Maybe the end of November?

rebounders and shooters.

We definitely need a rebounder. As far as shooters go, Mason and King are it. Morris and Bugs shoot it too often and are very streaky. The two freshmen pg, Dorsey and J Johnson's biggest weakness are outside shooting. McBrayer could be a shooter, but feshmen usually struggle with shot selection. My point is we should be quite a bit more athletic but we probably won't be as good of a shooting team.

This team will have its fair share of shooters (whether most of them will be makers is another question). What it really needs is someone who rebounds with abandon.

2015-16 Roster?

So as of now the roster will look like this?

Ballhandling Guards
Dorsey
Johnson
Mason

Wings
Buggs (also play some 4)
Gilbert
McBrayer
Morris

Bigs
Diedhiou
King
Konate
Lynch (eligible in 2016-17)

Add Plan A (Boucher) or Plan B (Russo or someone else) to the bigs and that about does it?

Ballhandling Guards
Dorsey
Mason
Johnson

Wings
Buggs (also play some 4)
Gilbert
McBrayer
Morris

Bigs
Diedhiou
King
Konate

Add Plan A (Boucher) or Plan B (Russo or someone else) to the bigs and that about does it?

Missing Nwankwo

Ballhandling Guards
Dorsey
Mason
Johnson

Wings
Buggs (also play some 4)
Gilbert
McBrayer
Morris

Bigs
Diedhiou
King
Konate

Both plan A and B should be good, Russo would provide versatility as a combo forward similar to Buggs.

@TheGopherReport: Gopher Bball Depth:
PG: Dorsey, Jarvis
SG: Mason, McBrayer, Lofton (TBD)
SF: Morris, Gilbert
PF: King, Buggs, Diedhou
C: Konate, Nwankwo

I can't figure out how to post tweets anymore.... oh well *shrugs.

Both plan A and B should be good, Russo would provide versatility as a combo forward similar to Buggs.

@TheGopherReport: Gopher Bball Depth:
PG: Dorsey, Jarvis
SG: Mason, McBrayer, Lofton (TBD)
SF: Morris, Gilbert
PF: King, Buggs, Diedhou
C: Konate, Nwankwo

I can't figure out how to post tweets anymore.... oh well *shrugs.

Click on the three little dots at the bottom of the tweet. Click on embed tweet. Copy/paste.

Top Bottom