All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

I see no downside with Boucher. He'd be here two years and help balance out the classes. Based on his recruiting rankings, the numbers he put up in JUCO, and the fact he's taller than both Buggs and King, I think he'd be an upgrade. Also, I'm not sure we are going to see very many "big" or "imposing" PF's or even C's on the team going forward. That isn't Pitino's style, he needs guys that can run and press. I'd be thrilled with Boucher.

I don't know how anyone could hate on the Ellison recruitment. The guy isn't 6'8 or 6'9, but he would definitely be a solid 3 for us. The only teams getting 6'8 and 6'9 multi-talented SF's are the blue bloods because most of the time those players are one and done.

Don't think either Boucher or Elison really fit this team needs. To CRG's point, Boucher is more of a combo 3-4 and we have Buggs and Diedhou for that, while Elison is probably 6'5" and more of a shooting guard and we have McBrayer for that.
Again, the need is a true 3, a 6'8" or 6'9" forward that can shoot the mid-to-long range kick out, slash into to the lane, and REBOUND!
Very few players available with likely chance to come here like that in class. I'd be perfectly fine with a 6'5" or 6'6" SG to play SF in this system

I see no downside with Boucher. He'd be here two years and help balance out the classes. Based on his recruiting rankings, the numbers he put up in JUCO, and the fact he's taller than both Buggs and King, I think he'd be an upgrade. Also, I'm not sure we are going to see very many "big" or "imposing" PF's or even C's on the team going forward. That isn't Pitino's style, he needs guys that can run and press. I'd be thrilled with Boucher.

I don't know how anyone could hate on the Ellison recruitment. The guy isn't 6'8 or 6'9, but he would definitely be a solid 3 for us. The only teams getting 6'8 and 6'9 multi-talented SF's are the blue bloods because most of the time those players are one and done.
+1

They need rebounding help badly, if Boucher can help with that area, he's a good get. Obviously if Konate/Diedhiou work hard this offseason, they should be a lot better in that area but they are inexperienced, as will Nwankwo. Boucher has two years of college experience and no matter the competition, the numbers look good. That's how I felt about Josh Martin too, who would have helped in the future had he stayed patient this year.

Also agree on the point about balancing classes. They're likely going to have five freshman in the '15 class, that means you're adding one or two juco/transfer guys. Need to keep those scholarships available for the 2017 class.

Don't think either Boucher or Elison really fit this team needs. To CRG's point, Boucher is more of a combo 3-4 and we have Buggs and Diedhou for that, while Elison is probably 6'5" and more of a shooting guard and we have McBrayer for that.
Again, the need is a true 3, a 6'8" or 6'9" forward that can shoot the mid-to-long range kick out, slash into to the lane, and REBOUND!

This is college not the pros. Most places 6'6" is a very solid SF(Wayne Blackshear 6'5", Justice Winslow 6'6", Justin Andwerson 6'6", Stanley Johnson 6'7"). If you're Michigan State thats your PF(Dawson, Clark Jr., different build i know). Point is look at your best SF in college and very few are listed taller than 6'7". Don't know how you can say "Ellison is probably 6'5"" without saying that nearly every other SF in college basketball is also probably 6'5" or so.

Not sure where you think that Boucher is more of a 3. He is a 4 in our system(if you wanted a bigger/stronger 4 then be more like Wisconsin or get good enough to get the montrezl harrell's of the world), I haven't seen many highlights(maybe you have but maybe you haven't and are just spouting like the rest of us.) Many 4's in the college game can and need to be able to step back the shoot the 3 with decent efficiency from time to time.

This is college not the pros. Most places 6'6" is a very solid SF(Wayne Blackshear 6'5", Justice Winslow 6'6", Justin Andwerson 6'6", Stanley Johnson 6'7"). If you're Michigan State thats your PF(Dawson, Clark Jr., different build i know). Point is look at your best SF in college and very few are listed taller than 6'7". Don't know how you can say "Ellison is probably 6'5"" without saying that nearly every other SF in college basketball is also probably 6'5" or so.

Not sure where you think that Boucher is more of a 3. He is a 4 in our system(if you wanted a bigger/stronger 4 then be more like Wisconsin or get good enough to get the montrezl harrell's of the world), I haven't seen many highlights(maybe you have but maybe you haven't and are just spouting like the rest of us.) Many 4's in the college game can and need to be able to step back the shoot the 3 with decent efficiency from time to time.

Agree with your point about the size of small forwards in college. Ellison's size is fine.

I watched most of two of Boucher's games in the JUCO national tournament. He definitely can shoot even at three point range. He is very skinny but he gets a lot of rebounds and blocks through good hops and quick reflexes. He may be vulnerable to being pushed out of good rebounding position by bulkier centers and forwards but he has a decent chance of getting to bouncing and loose balls before they do if he isn't blocked out. Granted the opponents were smaller in the JUCO tournament games I saw than they would be in the Big Ten but he frequently had two guys on him when he was close to the basket. He will probably have to turn up the intensity a notch over what I saw in the JUCO tournament.

The only teams getting 6'8 and 6'9 multi-talented SF's are the blue bloods because most of the time those players are one and done.

Are you telling me that I should stop hoping that we land the next Lebron James?

I believe Burns is more of a football guy (I did tweet him asking football or basketball) but still wanted to pass this along, hoping it is hoops based on the timing.

“@RyanBurnsGI: Hearing #Minnesota just picked up a commitment. The recruit wants to wait a bit to put it out there until he can call the coaches first.”

I believe Burns is more of a football guy (I did tweet him asking football or basketball) but still wanted to pass this along, hoping it is hoops based on the timing.

“@RyanBurnsGI: Hearing #Minnesota just picked up a commitment. The recruit wants to wait a bit to put it out there until he can call the coaches first.”

Ellison?

Burns' twitter profile explicitly states he is football recruiting. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll take a FB recruit as well.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A little over two weeks from signing day and Ellison has still only taken an official to Minnesota. A few weeks ago he tweeted that he was excited to take some visits but I haven't heard of anything. Anyone else?

The regular signing period doesn't mean much. Don't need to sign ever and certainly don't need to the day the period opens up.

If Ellison was big into Minnesota I'd think it would be a #donedeal. But, maybe he falls to the Gophers. Have heard a lot of people say they believe he's destined for Minnesota, but I can't find any good evidence for that. Absolutely could happen.. just don't see it as something it's reasonable to "expect."

Man, if Pitino leaves and Dupree, Kevin, Jarvis.. want out.. just imagine the horror show 2015-16 (and beyond) could be.

Ultimately if Pitino stays I think he takes at least one "chance"... if you know what I mean.

The regular signing period doesn't mean much. Don't need to sign ever and certainly don't need to the day the period opens up.

If Ellison was big into Minnesota I'd think it would be a #donedeal. But, maybe he falls to the Gophers. Have heard a lot of people say they believe he's destined for Minnesota, but I can't find any good evidence for that. Absolutely could happen.. just don't see it as something it's reasonable to "expect."

Man, if Pitino leaves and Dupree, Kevin, Jarvis.. want out.. just imagine the horror show 2015-16 (and beyond) could be.

Ultimately if Pitino stays I think he takes at least one "chance"... if you know what I mean.

GW, can you clarify what you mean by "chance"? Curious.

Nobody ever knows what you mean, gw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that he means a troubled kid. Either a guy thrown off his team or a guy that might not qualify. Letting Lofton back on the team would be an example I guess.

My guess is that he means a troubled kid. Either a guy thrown off his team or a guy that might not qualify. Letting Lofton back on the team would be an example I guess.

That's what I took it as also. Pull a Fred Hoiberg if you will.

Could also mean he takes a chance by paying a kid lol

Marshawn Wilson commits to Northern Illinois. A surprised to me since I had been hearing he needed to go the JUCO route.

Marshawn Wilson commits to Northern Illinois. A surprised to me since I had been hearing he needed to go the JUCO route.

You can give a verbal commitment under any circumstance (although I hope he's able to play - very good bballer).

PS - they had their thinking caps on in Madison last night!

You can give a verbal commitment under any circumstance (although I hope he's able to play - very good bballer).

PS - they had their thinking caps on in Madison last night!

PPS. I see what you did there. 2 in the shoe equals 1 in the hat! Go MU!

If he is a qualifier I consider him a HUGE miss even if he only goes to a 'mid-major' school.
I like him as much (actually more) than Jarvis...
Hope the best for him; offensive animal, athletic , can shoot.
I'm Sure JJ will get 'Mr.Basketball award; but MW should be a top 5 finalist.
I suspect he's not a qualifier or else he probably would have committed to a BCS program, smaller schools are more apt to take a risk on a potential non-qualifier.

JT Gibson from Champlin Park won the award already. He will be going to Nebraska-Omaha

Silly me.
I thought JJ was a shoe-in after 4 championships and committing to the gophs.
Thanks for the update PT.
I usually try to do research before commenting.

Silly me.
I thought JJ was a shoe-in after 4 championships and committing to the gophs.
Thanks for the update PT.
I usually try to do research before commenting.
Jarvis, Sacar Anim, Bjorn Broman, and Marshawn Wilson were the others in the top 5.

Top Bottom