All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Ellison would be a phenomenal pickup at this point, but I'm not getting the warm fuzzies from him. It feels like he's waiting for better offers. I'm hoping South Carolina/Wake/Seton Hall don't qualify as that... Of course we are WARMER on 247 so there's that...

Eric Bossi ‏@ebosshoops 16m16 minutes ago
Tyson Jolly @Tysonjolly tells me that he is down to Cal, Gonzaga, Minnesota, SMU and UTEP. Will be 4-star SG in final 2015 rankings.

Eric Bossi ‏@ebosshoops 16m16 minutes ago
Tyson Jolly @Tysonjolly tells me that he is down to Cal, Gonzaga, Minnesota, SMU and UTEP. Will be 4-star SG in final 2015 rankings.
Will visit Gonzaga and Cal in April. From Oklahoma. 100% Cal on 247. Not holding my breath but would be nice, presumably.

My number 1:Malik Ellison 6-5 could be really good, watching a one minute video. Not sure why he's not more highly recruited? He could give us scoring. 8 nice offers or so..
My number 2: Chris Boucher 6-10 205... has a lot of potential. He could give us help in lots of areas!
number 3: Mychal Mulder 6-4 ...9 nice offers..but arguably ours is best prior to Louisville, if they offer. He's a shooter with some versatility.
My number 4 is a projection watching a one minute 2012 video: Cullen Russo 6-9 225 has no offers listed, not rated...looks pretty athletic in 2012 with some skills at 6-9....seems a better fit than 5 or 6 to me....ha...in my one minute looks.
My number 5: Tyler Kohl 6-5...225...looks bigger...shoots well...glides around...don't see him really fitting frenetic...but can score...does have 7 offers
Distant 6th of these 3 guys for me is: Tyson Jolly 6-4 200 is more a tough guy guard...3 offers not sure we don't already have his strengths (apart from toughness)...he's not a shooter...again in a one minute video...to me. He's strong, solidly put together, aggressive but I don't see the potential of the other top two guys. More an athlete than a player...one minute impressions before you guys bash me...just opinions.

All these guys are 6-4 or 6-5...all are 3 stars on rivals. Except Boucher is 6-10 and not rated. Russo 6-9, not rated, no offers.
Who else is in the 2015 spring group?

Interesting to see that Pitino and McHale went out for yet another visit with Malik Ellison. It seems pretty clear that he's the number one target on the board, so hopefully they can land him. From following the recruitment from afar, I feel like the Gophers are the leader, but that a scholarship opening up at a UNC/Duke/Kansas type is what is holding up the process. If that offer comes, the Gophers miss out so just root for the Blue Bloods to get their top targets and to not have any unexpected departures.

per Marcus: Richard Pitino visits top 2015 target Malik Ellison

One of the most important final pieces to the Gophers’ 2015 recruiting class, Life Center Academy (N.J.) senior Malik Ellison, received a home visit from Minnesota coach Richard Pitino on Monday.

Ellison, a 6-foot-6, 190-pound three-star wing, met with Pitino and assistant coach Dan McHale at his home in Voorhees, N.J. The visit went great, according to a source.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...-pitino-visits-top-2015-target-malik-ellison/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus: Richard Pitino visits top 2015 target Malik Ellison

One of the most important final pieces to the Gophers’ 2015 recruiting class, Life Center Academy (N.J.) senior Malik Ellison, received a home visit from Minnesota coach Richard Pitino on Monday.

Ellison, a 6-foot-6, 190-pound three-star wing, met with Pitino and assistant coach Dan McHale at his home in Voorhees, N.J. The visit went great, according to a source.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...-pitino-visits-top-2015-target-malik-ellison/

Go Gophers!!
I am pretty sure that Malik will be a gopher.

If we get Boucher and Ellison I'd put this class up there with the Royce, Rodney, and Trevor class, if not ahead of it outright.

If we get Boucher and Ellison I'd put this class up there with the Royce, Rodney, and Trevor class, if not ahead of it outright.

Agreed. But at least on paper, that group was probably better prepared to contribute significantly right away than this one. Here's hoping that the class materializes and avoids the drama of the aforementioned highly regarded recruiting class.

Agreed. But at least on paper, that group was probably better prepared to contribute significantly right away than this one. Here's hoping that the class materializes and avoids the drama of the aforementioned highly regarded recruiting class.

It would lack the 5-star power that Royce brought, but it would exceed that class in numbers. What did you say the other night about being a volume shooter? This year we're volume recruiters.

It would lack the 5-star power that Royce brought, but it would exceed that class in numbers. What did you say the other night about being a volume shooter? This year we're volume recruiters.

True, but since that 5-star power never saw the floor, he might as well have been a walk-on. Hosea Crittenden had a more productive MN career than Royce.

My number 1:Malik Ellison 6-5 could be really good, watching a one minute video. Not sure why he's not more highly recruited? He could give us scoring. 8 nice offers or so..
My number 2: Chris Boucher 6-10 205... has a lot of potential. He could give us help in lots of areas!
number 3: Mychal Mulder 6-4 ...9 nice offers..but arguably ours is best prior to Louisville, if they offer. He's a shooter with some versatility.
My number 4 is a projection watching a one minute 2012 video: Cullen Russo 6-9 225 has no offers listed, not rated...looks pretty athletic in 2012 with some skills at 6-9....seems a better fit than 5 or 6 to me....ha...in my one minute looks.
My number 5: Tyler Kohl 6-5...225...looks bigger...shoots well...glides around...don't see him really fitting frenetic...but can score...does have 7 offers
Distant 6th of these 3 guys for me is: Tyson Jolly 6-4 200 is more a tough guy guard...3 offers not sure we don't already have his strengths (apart from toughness)...he's not a shooter...again in a one minute video...to me. He's strong, solidly put together, aggressive but I don't see the potential of the other top two guys. More an athlete than a player...one minute impressions before you guys bash me...just opinions.

All these guys are 6-4 or 6-5...all are 3 stars on rivals. Except Boucher is 6-10 and not rated. Russo 6-9, not rated, no offers.
Who else is in the 2015 spring group?

He had a broken leg last summer.

Just want to go on record as saying I was wrong about Boucher. I thought he was an athletic, shot blocking type Center at 6'10", but he is really more of a SF or stretch 4. I'm not that excited about Boucher. I feel like we need a prototypical SF like Ellison @ 6'5"-6'6" who can both score and guard the position. Boucher seems to fall into that tweener mold that we already have with Joey King and Charles Buggs. At 6'10", 205lb I envision Boucher having a hard time guarding quick SF's in the B1G. If we put him at the 4, we have our PF wanting to shoot 3 pointers and play on the perimeter, when what we need is rebounding and physicality under the basket. Boucher may be better than either of King or Buggs, but it feels like we wouldn't be addressing our needs.

Just want to go on record as saying I was wrong about Boucher. I thought he was an athletic, shot blocking type Center at 6'10", but he is really more of a SF or stretch 4. I'm not that excited about Boucher. I feel like we need a prototypical SF like Ellison @ 6'5"-6'6" who can both score and guard the position. Boucher seems to fall into that tweener mold that we already have with Joey King and Charles Buggs. At 6'10", 205lb I envision Boucher having a hard time guarding quick SF's in the B1G. If we put him at the 4, we have our PF wanting to shoot 3 pointers and play on the perimeter, when what we need is rebounding and physicality under the basket. Boucher may be better than either of King or Buggs, but it feels like we wouldn't be addressing our needs.

+1

As I said when we first started talking about Boucher. There is only room for one Charlie Buggs on this team. I'm not as convinced as you that he's Charlie Buggs (I haven't seen a lick of tape on him) but if he is Charlie Buggs, I'm not heartbroken that we don't get him.

I'm also not convinced that this team needs a big diminutive PF or that he cannot fill the role as a PF. If he can jump and get boards I don't care what size he is. His Juco numbers say he does play around the hoop based on his REB and BLK stats (JOSH MARTIN ALERT!) so we will have to wait and see.

If Pitino likes him, he knows a bit more about what we need and don't need so I'll roll with that.

Don't think either Boucher or Elison really fit this team needs. To CRG's point, Boucher is more of a combo 3-4 and we have Buggs and Diedhou for that, while Elison is probably 6'5" and more of a shooting guard and we have McBrayer for that.
Again, the need is a true 3, a 6'8" or 6'9" forward that can shoot the mid-to-long range kick out, slash into to the lane, and REBOUND!

Again, the need is a true 3, a 6'8" or 6'9" forward that can shoot the mid-to-long range kick out, slash into to the lane, and REBOUND!

My guess is that person does not exists right now, and if he did we likely don't have a legitimate shot at him.

Top Bottom