All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

This. It gets hard for fans to let the process to develop, but its what Bo Ryan has done so well, especially with their Bigs. I hope we have the stability and talent to see the process through.

Go Gophers!!

Bo looks for size and skill and good feet (as in light on their feet). He knows you can add muscle and teach them how to play half-court team defense. Ryan has said that rebounding isn't about athleticism. Fortunately for him there are a lot of players in the upper Midwest with those qualities. Unfortunately for us, we're looking for a different prototype that's harder to find.

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota has offered Northwest College power forward Chris Boucher. <a href="https://twitter.com/Cjslick21">@Cjslick21</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Matt Jessen-Howard (@mjessenhoward) <a href="https://twitter.com/mjessenhoward/status/579468913513263104">March 22, 2015</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota has offered Northwest College power forward Chris Boucher. <a href="https://twitter.com/Cjslick21">@Cjslick21</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Matt Jessen-Howard (@mjessenhoward) <a href="https://twitter.com/mjessenhoward/status/579468913513263104">March 22, 2015</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's good news.

Hopefully commits soon. Definitely a pf I like is shooting touch and seems to have good timing on his shot blocking from what I've seen. More than a little concerned that he will get bullied in the post tho:

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Memphis, Minnesota, OK State, Pitt, TCU, Texas Tech, and Washington State have all offered 2015 JUCO PF Chris Boucher.</p>— Matt Jessen-Howard (@mjessenhoward) <a href="https://twitter.com/mjessenhoward/status/579479264858357760">March 22, 2015</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Really tough to form a strong opinion on Boucher from what I've seen of him. The zone that Northwest plays makes me very concerned about how he'd transition to high major defense. Boucher is basically parked in the lane and never has to defend a pure post up or even cover much ground laterally. On offense, he can definitely shoot it but it's hard to have any idea if he can score down low against high major size and strength. With as many solid programs as there are interested in him, I don't think there's any way he'd agree to redshirt which might be really good for him. He could either try to gain weight (not everyone can do that) to bang down low or focus on his ball handling to play some 3.

Basically our biggest competitors are OK State and Pitt. Would be surprised if he went to Memphis, they have a glut of good players that can play the four. He's from Canada too, so the cold shouldn't hurt us.

Really tough to form a strong opinion on Boucher from what I've seen of him. The zone that Northwest plays makes me very concerned about how he'd transition to high major defense. Boucher is basically parked in the lane and never has to defend a pure post up or even cover much ground laterally. On offense, he can definitely shoot it but it's hard to have any idea if he can score down low against high major size and strength. With as many solid programs as there are interested in him, I don't think there's any way he'd agree to redshirt which might be really good for him. He could either try to gain weight (not everyone can do that) to bang down low or focus on his ball handling to play some 3.

If Putin brings in a Juco player I hope it is someone who can contribute right away, not someone that gets a redshirt.

We do play a lot of zone. We need to land this kid! Never can have to many shot blockers and a kid who can shoot the 3

If Putin brings in a Juco player I hope it is someone who can contribute right away, not someone that gets a redshirt.

Why would a JUCO transfer ever redshirt? you go to a place you'll play. From a team prospective you get a JUCO, not to be the star of your team, but to fill a need. Has anyone ever heard of a JUCO redshirting?

Also his name is Pitino. Have some respect for a person and use their real name.

Why would a JUCO transfer ever redshirt? you go to a place you'll play. From a team prospective you get a JUCO, not to be the star of your team, but to fill a need. Has anyone ever heard of a JUCO redshirting?

Also his name is Pitino. Have some respect for a person and use their real name.

I agree with never bringing in a Juco to redshirt. Also I know his name is Pitino, damn auto word select from small iPhone. Seriously dude. However the phone selecting Putin was about as bad a choice as possible.

I agree with never bringing in a Juco to redshirt. Also I know his name is Pitino, damn auto word select from small iPhone. Seriously dude. However the phone selecting Putin was about as bad a choice as possible.

Putin does have some international contacts we could probably take advantage of.

I'm not worried about him. A few years ago I watched a 6'8" 190 lb. Eric Griffin of Campbell University run roughshod over Iowa in a non-conference game. Mo has as much size and strength as anyone but he isn't very active, doesn't have much hops, and has slow reflexes.

Boucher doesn't have to bang around with 260 lb. centers on our team. Bakary is there for that. He has quick reflexes and good hops. He also has a scoring repertoire that goes well beyond layups and dunks. When I watched him in his first game at the NJC Championship, I thought he was only operating at about half speed most of the time and would be better in a situation where he was pushed a bit more.

Bo looks for size and skill and good feet (as in light on their feet). He knows you can add muscle and teach them how to play half-court team defense. Ryan has said that rebounding isn't about athleticism. Fortunately for him there are a lot of players in the upper Midwest with those qualities. Unfortunately for us, we're looking for a different prototype that's harder to find.

Well said (although watching Dekker I'd say that Bo manages to reel in an athletic player occasionally too). You're right; Pitino needs a very special kind of player with cheetah like quickness who can help defense on ball handlers, drivers, and interior men and then race to the perimeter in a half a second to cover the shooter receiving the ball out of the double team.

Well said (although watching Dekker I'd say that Bo manages to reel in an athletic player occasionally too). You're right; Pitino needs a very special kind of player with cheetah like quickness who can help defense on ball handlers, drivers, and interior men and then race to the perimeter in a half a second to cover the shooter receiving the ball out of the double team.

Of course, when you can get a 5-star player, you take him. In fact, I think it's Dekker that puts them over the top in being a legitimate title contender. I don't think you can be one without at least one player who can do things that others can't do.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

All 4 incoming freshmen are 4 stars on a least 1 of the 3 major recruiting sites. Yes!

All 4 incoming freshmen are 4 stars on a least 1 of the 3 major recruiting sites. Yes!

Just curious, which 3 do you see as major?

Rivals, ESPN, 247, and Scout are the most well known. 247 and Rivals seem to be the most updated IMO.

Top Bottom