All Things Carter Coughlin Thread

I'd be surprised if Celestin isn't starting opposite Lynn at OLB. Huff and CC should back them up.

Coughlin got a mild concussion in this game as well....exact opposite what we needed today.
Him to get hurt in the all-star game and the Daniels twins to de-commit..

Coughlin got a mild concussion in this game as well....exact opposite what we needed today.
Him to get hurt in the all-star game and the Daniels twins to de-commit..

He will be just fine, relax two a days isn't until August

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Sid:

• It is unfortunate Carter Coughlin suffered a concussion in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, and that he also needs shoulder surgery that will sideline him for three months. The Eden Prairie linebacker was being counted on to start as a freshman if he could take part in spring practice. Coughlin should be able to play this fall.

http://www.startribune.com/q-a-with...ompeted-each-week-pretty-darn-good/365554501/

Go Gophers!!

Wow that's impressive. Who's the highest ranked recruit MN has ever signed?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Not sure what # he was rated, but Brandon Owens is the only 5* I can recall.

per Sid:

• It is unfortunate Carter Coughlin suffered a concussion in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, and that he also needs shoulder surgery that will sideline him for three months. The Eden Prairie linebacker was being counted on to start as a freshman if he could take part in spring practice. Coughlin should be able to play this fall.

http://www.startribune.com/q-a-with...ompeted-each-week-pretty-darn-good/365554501/

Go Gophers!!

I didn't think Coughlin graduated/signed early so he could partake in spring practice.

per Shama:

Carter Coughlin, the Gophers’ four-star linebacker recruit from Eden Prairie High School, who is expected to sign his National Letter of Intent next month, will have to rest his left shoulder for about 3½ months following surgery last Thursday. Jennie Coughlin, Carter’s mother, told Sports Headliners the shoulder injury dates back to his junior season, and the expectation is he will be healthy when the Gophers start workouts in June. She said Carter is already recovered from the concussion he sustained in a high school all-star game earlier this month.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Here is the full STrib story: All in the family: Football recruit Carter Coughlin extends his clan's Gophers ties

Carter Coughlin had narrowed his college decision to Minnesota, Ohio State or Oregon, and knew it was time to pick last March. His mother, father, uncle and grandfather — all former Gophers athletes — braced themselves for the news.

“We for sure thought we lost him to Ohio State,” his mother, Jennie, said this month. “I told some friends that day, ‘I think Carter’s just trying to figure out how to tell Mom and Dad.’ ”

Urban Meyer’s staff made a relentless push to lure the four-star linebacker from Eden Prairie to Columbus. Coughlin even got calls from James Laurinaitis, the former Wayzata linebacker who launched his NFL career as a three-time All-America at Ohio State.

Finally, after months of hand-wringing, Coughlin made the decision during a weightlifting session with his personal trainer.

“It just hit me that I wanted to be a Gopher,” he said.

“I wanted to be a part of building the program even more than it was. And I knew if I committed early, I could have an impact on other guys in our state.”

The first thing Coughlin did was text his parents.

“I just dropped the phone and cried,” Jennie said.

http://www.startribune.com/all-in-t...in-extends-his-clan-s-gophers-ties/366646711/

Go Gophers!!

Here is the full STrib story: All in the family: Football recruit Carter Coughlin extends his clan's Gophers ties

Carter Coughlin had narrowed his college decision to Minnesota, Ohio State or Oregon, and knew it was time to pick last March. His mother, father, uncle and grandfather — all former Gophers athletes — braced themselves for the news.

“We for sure thought we lost him to Ohio State,” his mother, Jennie, said this month. “I told some friends that day, ‘I think Carter’s just trying to figure out how to tell Mom and Dad.’ ”

Urban Meyer’s staff made a relentless push to lure the four-star linebacker from Eden Prairie to Columbus. Coughlin even got calls from James Laurinaitis, the former Wayzata linebacker who launched his NFL career as a three-time All-America at Ohio State.

Finally, after months of hand-wringing, Coughlin made the decision during a weightlifting session with his personal trainer.

“I wanted to be a part of building the program even more than it was. And I knew if I committed early, I could have an impact on other guys in our state.”

http://www.startribune.com/all-in-t...in-extends-his-clan-s-gophers-ties/366646711/

Go Gophers!!

This is awesome. Very excited to see him play for the Gopher. Already he's been a great ambassador for the program and I'm sure it will continue

Go Gophers!!

Am I the only one to see this blatant recruiting violation?

Saw Coughlin at the EPHS hoops game last night still wearing a sling on his left arm/shoulder.

I've seen reports of pro players advocating for their college team in the past, making calls. Not sure that is necessarily a violation.

The linked article needs to be sent to NCAA. I'm not sure how one would do that if not affiliated with an institution.

The linked article needs to be sent to NCAA. I'm not sure how one would do that if not affiliated with an institution.

UNC had staff create entirely fake classes for players, they even admitted it.

NCAA still hasn't acted on that....

I've seen reports of pro players advocating for their college team in the past, making calls. Not sure that is necessarily a violation.

Could they call the parents or coach, but not the player directly? Maybe they are skirting the issue by doing something like that.

Could they call the parents or coach, but not the player directly? Maybe they are skirting the issue by doing something like that.

I'm pretty sure schools can't "set up" a meeting between a recruit and alumni but there isn't anything that prevents them from having a "chance" encounter. I realize this wasn't a "chance" encounter but likely not a violation unless OSU specifically asked Laurenitis to call him.

I think it is legal if Laurintitis did this on his own free will without Ohio St telling him to do this. No different than Ricky Foggie coaching at Red Wing and telling a player on another team to think about attending school at the U. If Urban Meyer had Laurinitis call Coughlin, that is an entirely different story!

Top Bottom