All Things Carter Coughlin Thread

does he even redshirt? im guessing four year starter.

Hope you're wrong. I know we're not used to highly ranked recruits and all but a kid better be really special to start immediately on a decent team. Also while Carter is a great athlete it doesn't seem like he's played a ton of true, 2 point stance LB and reading, reacting and covering so he'll likely have a learning curve ala Campbell. Plus we have some talent at LB next year too so he'd have to really earn that spot.

Hope you're wrong. I know we're not used to highly ranked recruits and all but a kid better be really special to start immediately on a decent team. Also while Carter is a great athlete it doesn't seem like he's played a ton of true, 2 point stance LB and reading, reacting and covering so he'll likely have a learning curve ala Campbell. Plus we have some talent at LB next year too so he'd have to really earn that spot.

I think he will get worked into the rotation and be ready to compete for a starting job his sophomore year.

does he even redshirt? im guessing four year starter.

I don't see him starting over Lynn, Poock, Williams and Celestin, all of whom will be upperclassmen with tons of Big Ten snaps under their belts. (Also, remember Coughlin is only 211 pounds right now). But as others have said, he'll get worked into the rotation and compete for a starting spot as a sophomore.

Hopefully we are good enough to redshirt him and let him start for 4 years. Thats the best case scenario IMO. Not only does that mean we get 4 years of CC on the field, but it also means we have some quality starters and depth ahead of him.

How badass would it be to have a LB leave early from this program? I know that would suck to only have him a couple years, but to have someone so good at that position to be considered to leave early?!?!

I'm way over my ski's.

Let's say he becomes a solid 4-year contributor: What's his ideal position and weight his last year?

He's been top 100 for a couple months now. Was as high as 78th. Also top 100 on Scout right at 100.

He'll be a 4* on rivals before too long as well. ESPN has him as a 3* ILB, 4th best player in the state behind Garcia, Howard, and Ramaud Chiaokhaio-Bowman. Can't imagine that will last forever, although it is ESPN so who knows.

He'll be a 4* on rivals before too long as well. ESPN has him as a 3* ILB, 4th best player in the state behind Garcia, Howard, and Ramaud Chiaokhaio-Bowman. Can't imagine that will last forever, although it is ESPN so who knows.

ESPN broadcasted The Opening and had plenty of their guys there so that should change quickly. Rivals isn't allowed at The Opening so it will probably be till midseason of his senior year at least before he gets bumped up.

I don't see him starting over Lynn, Poock, Williams and Celestin, all of whom will be upperclassmen with tons of Big Ten snaps under their belts. (Also, remember Coughlin is only 211 pounds right now). But as others have said, he'll get worked into the rotation and compete for a starting spot as a sophomore.

Spot on, in my opinion. Personally, I would redshirt him all day over working a rotation, unless he comes in looking like Luke Keuchly from day 1.

Everyone seems to be foregeting about Huff and Waters when talking about options. There are a lot of connected people very high on Huff right now (or getting high by huffing, I may have misinterpreted). He could be solidified as the Mike by the time Carter rolls in, leaving Carter as a freshman, to compete with the likes of Lynn as a senior (who I think will be on an All-B1G team before he leaves).

You also have to consider the fact that the Gophers were in the nickel package a ton last year. There just aren't three LBs on the field much anymore. That's only going to increase as the college game continues to evolve into a passing circus.

Really, he'll likely have to beat out at least five different experienced, quality athletes (Poock, Williams, Celestin, Huff, Waters) for one spot in the nickel (Lynn will absolutely be a starter from here on out, obviously), as opposed to three (Poock, Williams, Celestin) for a spot in the base 4-3, like a lot of people are thinking. That's a lot to ask of a kid who has to bulk up and learn the defense.

Spot on, in my opinion. Personally, I would redshirt him all day over working a rotation, unless he comes in looking like Luke Keuchly from day 1.

Everyone seems to be foregeting about Huff and Waters when talking about options. There are a lot of connected people very high on Huff right now (or getting high by huffing, I may have misinterpreted). He could be solidified as the Mike by the time Carter rolls in, leaving Carter as a freshman, to compete with the likes of Lynn as a senior (who I think will be on an All-B1G team before he leaves).

You also have to consider the fact that the Gophers were in the nickel package a ton last year. There just aren't three LBs on the field much anymore. That's only going to increase as the college game continues to evolve into a passing circus.

Really, he'll likely have to beat out at least five different experienced, quality athletes (Poock, Williams, Celestin, Huff, Waters) for one spot in the nickel (Lynn will absolutely be a starter from here on out, obviously), as opposed to three (Poock, Williams, Celestin) for a spot in the base 4-3, like a lot of people are thinking. That's a lot to ask of a kid who has to bulk up and learn the defense.

Can he be an edge rusher in passing situations?

Can he be an edge rusher in passing situations?

Absolutely. To not rush him would be a waist of his considerable length and athleticism. If he's not playing OLB, I'd much rather have him at DE than MLB. He played only DE for the second half of his season last year and when he was able to get in as a soph.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Think you have things a bit twisted up. Coughlin is an OLB, not a Mike. Huff isn't a Mike either and is an OLB. Our likely Mike for this year appears to be Cody Poock (or Jack Lynn) with Everett Williams backing him up. On the outside is probably Lynn and Campbell with Celestin the 3rd guy in the rotation (he was already getting prime snaps last year). Coming in in 2016 the only guys on the roster that as of right now have shown they can play at OLB will be Lynn and Celestin (unless Poock moves outside). Sure Huff has impressed in practice but he hasn't proven anything yet.

On top of all of that the staff has shown a willingness to play true frosh LBs (see Celestin and Williams last year) and especially play them on ST. The like to also play true frosh that they anticipate being important/needed the next year. So it definitely makes sense for them to play Coughlin as a true frosh whether he's getting rotation snaps or just ST. It all depends on how B10 ready he can get his body and how quickly he can adjust to playing in space and true, 2 pt stance LB play. As for the nickel last year we rotated 5 LBs in the nickel and often went 3-3-5 anyway and used Campbell or Laster as an edge rusher. No reason why they can't rotate 4-5 LBs in the nickel

And the obvious on if we're in the nickel, but Coughlin is extremely fast and athletic which probably makes his life easier in coverage so he may find a way into the field in that regard as well

And the obvious on if we're in the nickel, but Coughlin is extremely fast and athletic which probably makes his life easier in coverage so he may find a way into the field in that regard as well

He did struggle with change of direction just a little bit at The Opening plus it's being reported that he struggled to turn his head around. I like him as a pass rusher much more than in coverage.

He did struggle with change of direction just a little bit at The Opening plus it's being reported that he struggled to turn his head around. I like him as a pass rusher much more than in coverage.

Interesting. Link to that? Haven't stayed up on the evaluations from the opening.

Take over Campbell after this year?

If he doesn't start his freshmen year, I still see him playing. Short of injury I think he'll be too good to use a redshirt on.

I see him red shirting and getting the best years out at the end

SAWVEL!!! (just kidding)

I think must have read the same thing somewhere, but I don't think it should be much of a concern considering he was matched up against mainly slot receivers and running backs during these 7 on 7's. I'd be willing to bet that all the LBs struggled a bit in coverage.

Head turning and lateral issue comment was from the scout recap link a page or two back. It's a video.

Gotta admit I was excited about this kid UNTIL I learned that he can't move laterally without falling over and that his head is stuck looking straight ahead. Now I am not so excited and doubting why Kill would recruit a guy like this?

Kill doesn't sit this kind of talent on the sideline. CC will be playing somewhere. He will score for us on defense.

Gotta admit I was excited about this kid UNTIL I learned that he can't move laterally without falling over and that his head is stuck looking straight ahead. Now I am not so excited and doubting why Kill would recruit a guy like this?

Haha this is a post I had to chuckle while reading. Lol spoofin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His head must be too big for his body then, huh?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Updated Rivals 250 football rankings for Class of 2016. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> commits:

#141: <a href="https://twitter.com/D_Snelson2">@D_Snelson2</a>
#213: <a href="https://twitter.com/Cmoe34">@Cmoe34</a>
#229: <a href="https://twitter.com/foster__75">@foster__75</a>

Ski-U-Mah</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/status/636221412328476672">August 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom