All Things Bowl Game Speculation

It’s possible. They don’t deserve it.
Why not? Because they lost twice to arguably the best team in the nation? Or because of the IL loss?

Penn St. lost to OSU (like WI did 2x) and MN. WI beat MN.

Hard to penalize a team for playing in a conference championship and losing to a possible #1 seed in a CFP.

Why not? Because they lost twice to arguably the best tram in the nation? Or because of the IL loss?

Hard to penalize a team for playing in a conference championship and losing to a possible #1 seed in a CFP.

Shouldn't they be penalized for having by far the worst loss of the ranked Big Ten teams?

Why not? Because they lost twice to arguably the best team in the nation? Or because of the IL loss?

Wisc lost to Illinois ... I would find it really hard to just overlook that one.

But I don't make the decisions so there ya go.

Why not? Because they lost twice to arguably the best tram in the nation? Or because of the IL loss?

Not hard at all.

Losing twice in the same season to Ohio State does not earn you a Rose Bowl. Nor does losing to Illinois.

Penn St gets the Rose. Good

(see what I’m doing here? If I keep saying it over and over, it has to come true! :cool:)

It’s a tough one. Honestly, I think it would be wrong to penalize Wisconsin for an additional loss when:

A) they had already lost to that team on the road

B) had a higher ranking than PSU with that loss and Illinois loss on their resume

I’d send Wisconsin to Rose and PSU to Cotton/Orange/Citrus

All I'm saying is that it won't be a slam dunk either way. If Penn St. was in the west and WI was in the east...

If PSU lost 2x to OSU and lost to a team WI beat, does that change anything? I really don't care either way, just think it's not a sure thing for PSU.

Do I save any face at this point if I proclaim how much Urban Meyer absolutely disgusts me?

Personally, I want nothing to do with Alabama. For a reason different than what you might think.

It is very likely that several Alabama potential NFL draft picks will sit out the game. First time these kids aren't playing for the National Championship - and they aren't going to risk injury in what they will view as a "secondary" bowl game.

So for the Gophers

If we win - the story is that we defeated a depleted Alabama team that did not have all its best players.
If we lose - the story is we aren't as good as the Alabama reserves.

I see it as a no win for the Gophers. So count me out. I'll take anyone BUT Alabama as our bowl opponent.

Why do so many of our fans insist on looking at games like this? If we play and beat Alabama it will be an impressive win, if we lose to them it will be an understandable loss to a very good team. Only our fans will obsess about who played or who didn't in the game.

Why do so many of our fans insist on looking at games like this? If we play and beat Alabama it will be an impressive win, if we lose to them it will be an understandable loss to a very good team. Only our fans will obsess about who played or who didn't in the game.
I'd rather win and maintain the attention of fans rather than build on a disappointing loss followed by another loss.... and drop a lot of good will built up this year.

I'd rather win and maintain the attention of fans rather than build on a disappointing loss followed by another loss.... and drop a lot of good will built up this year.
MN is undefeated against Alabama. Bring em on! We are also the only Big Ten team that is undefeated against Clemson too.

All I'm saying is that it won't be a slam dunk either way. If Penn St. was in the west and WI was in the east...

If PSU lost 2x to OSU and lost to a team WI beat, does that change anything? I really don't care either way, just think it's not a sure thing for PSU.
Nothing is for sure. Could go either way, tbh

That and I’d like to see us win a higher bowl game. It also doesn’t leave such a bad taste in the mouth and doesn’t make fans question as much if this season was just a mirage.

I was responding to the idea that we shouldn't want to play Alabama because some of their key guys might sit out the game so if we win it won't really count and if we lose we will look bad. Already looking for reasons to apply * to the game.

I was responding to the idea that we shouldn't want to play Alabama because some of their key guys might sit out the game so if we win it won't really count and if we lose we will look bad. Already looking for reasons to apply * to the game.
Oh that.

Yeah purely because of that ... Bama is stacked with talent behind talent behind talent so a win would still be just as great IMO.

Even if IMO unlikely.

As mentioned earlier with how much more talent they have on their team or Auburn, they can play at 75% and still be as good if not better than us.

Look at Seattle vs. the Vikings this past Monday night for example a.

Absolutely don’t deserve it. No question.

Lost to Illinois. Lost to Ohio St, twice, by more than Penn St did.

Penn St deserves the Rose
Going by losses PSU deserves to go. Going by wins I think Wisconsin does...gonna be a close call.

Looks like EVERYONE is pointing us going to the Outback Bowl vs Auburn or Alabama

It’ll be a great test for our Goofers

If we win - the story is that we defeated a depleted Alabama team that did not have all its best players.
Strongly disagree with that point.

If we win, the narrative will be we just beat the biggest brand name in all of college football who is having a slightly down year. Yes, several of their guys could sit out but Bama's reputation is so strong that most people know that they are loaded with 4 and 5 stars on their bench. If we win we will get plenty of recognition. Not as much as if they were still #1 and Tua was healthy of course but we will still get plenty of credit. The other guys, while they may be projected top picks, aren't big enough household names to the point where we wouldn't get credit. Ultimately what people will remember is that we beat Bama, not that they had players sit out.

My hope is that we get Bama in the Citrus, our game gets a ton of media buildup as it's Bama, several top guys sit out (and none of ours) and we win.

Strongly disagree with that point.

If we win, the narrative will be we just beat the biggest brand name in all of college football who is having a slightly down year. Yes, several of their guys could sit out but Bama's reputation is so strong that most people know that they are loaded with 4 and 5 stars on their bench. If we win we will get plenty of recognition. Not as much as if they were still #1 and Tua was healthy of course but we will still get plenty of credit. The other guys, while they may be projected top picks, aren't big enough household names to the point where we wouldn't get credit. Ultimately what people will remember is that we beat Bama, not that they had players sit out.

My hope is that we get Bama in the Citrus, our game gets a ton of media buildup as it's Bama, several top guys sit out (and none of ours) and we win.
Since Iowa and Michigan are ineligible for the Outback Bowl, the Gophers are the only Big Ten team that can realistically play there. This assumes WI and PSU both get NY6 bowls.

As far as the opponent, the Citrus gets the first pick of non-NY6 SEC teams (regardless of ranking) so it’s a near certainty they go with Alabama and Auburn falls to the Outback to play the Gophers.

Not hard at all.

Losing twice in the same season to Ohio State does not earn you a Rose Bowl. Nor does losing to Illinois.

Penn St gets the Rose. Good

(see what I’m doing here? If I keep saying it over and over, it has to come true! :cool:)

Not that I like Wisconsin but I don’t think you’re being objective here. Plus I’ll never get over the PSU scandal so maybe I’m not gonna be objective either

Since Iowa and Michigan are ineligible for the Outback Bowl, the Gophers are the only Big Ten team that can realistically play there. This assumes WI and PSU both get NY6 bowls.

As far as the opponent, the Citrus gets the first pick of non-NY6 SEC teams (regardless of ranking) so it’s a near certainty they go with Alabama and Auburn falls to the Outback to play the Gophers.

the thing I’ve always hated about the bowl is that you can rearrange the order based on matchups rather than merit.

there’s no freaking way Michigan deserves to be ahead of Minnesota by any real metric and yet it will likely happen because the citrus thinks they’ll make more money. Sad.

Michigan is not ineligible for the Outback Bowl. They played there two years ago and then....like seven years ago. Iowa played there last year so they are ineligible.

the thing I’ve always hated about the bowl is that you can rearrange the order based on matchups rather than merit.

there’s no freaking way Michigan deserves to be ahead of Minnesota by any real metric and yet it will likely happen because the citrus thinks they’ll make more money. Sad.

It really doesn't matter much. The Citrus and the Outback Bowl are basically equals. I believe they trade off taking turns as the third bowl in the Big Ten pecking order. Not to mention that they are both New Years Day bowls that are on at the same time.

Only difference is that the Citrus Bowl is on ABC while the Outback Bowl is on ESPN. So viewership would be quite a bit higher for the Citrus Bowl and depending on if Alabama sneaks into the NY6 bowls....it's possible that Auburn goes to the Citrus and either Tennessee or Texas A&M falls to the Outback.

Those are reasons why it would be better to go to the Citrus Bowl. However.....if both Auburn and Alabama are available for the Citrus/Outback Bowl.....either could go to either bowl......especially since Auburn beat Alabama head-to-head. And we've recently played in the Citrus Bowl...but I don't believe we've ever played in the Outback Bowl. Anyways...give me Alabama or Auburn in either and I'll be happy.

Wisdom from today's Strib: Gophers v Alabama in Outback bowl. That would suck because
Alabama is within a whisker of the best team in the country.

Alabama would rout Wisconsin who pretty well routed the Gophers. You do the math.

Wisdom from today's Strib: Gophers v Alabama in Outback bowl. That would suck because

Alabama would rout Wisconsin who pretty well routed the Gophers. You do the math.
I’ve done the math.

From reading a number of the posts if the Gophers are invited to play in a New Year’s Day Bowl game against Alabama it would much better on the psyche of the fan base if the Gophers declined the invite. ?

Last edited:

Well -- if you want to play in the big bowls you have to be ready to play the big teams. This will be a tough matchup for the Gophers, while both Wisconsin and Penn St. could get easier teams....that's the way it always seems to go for us -- it's never easy!

We were supposed to get routed by WSU and then GA Tech in recent bowls. WI was supposed to clobber Illinois. We may lose to Alabama but we were also supposed to lose to PSU.

Top Bottom