All Things Bowl Game Speculation

Repeat, the bowls do not select. Each bowl gives the B1G a short list of who they want and the B1G selects the bowl teams. This is not new.

Jerry Palm updated his projections to have MN in the Outback vs. Auburn. This morning he still had MN in the Citrus vs. Alabama, so this is a change. I assume it has something to do with PSU jumping into the NY6, since they were the other likely Outback team from the B1G.

Rose: Wisc
Cotton: PSU (So he's got Utah plummeting in the rankings and Auburn staying behind PSU)
Citrus: Michigan
Outback: MN
Holiday: Iowa
Gator: IU
Redbox: Illinois
Pinstripe: MSU

Jerry Palm updated his projections to have MN in the Outback vs. Auburn. This morning he still had MN in the Citrus vs. Alabama, so this is a change. I assume it has something to do with PSU jumping into the NY6, since they were the other likely Outback team from the B1G.

Cotton: PSU (So he's got Utah plummeting in the rankings and Auburn staying behind PSU)

Jerry Palm is about as clueless as it gets, so...

Hmm. I would flip-flop Iowa and Mich. Seems the Gophs are pretty locked into the Outback, based on the selection rules.

Also, any bowl win helps, period. This nonsense of losing to Bama is better than winning against a lesser team is silly.
Winning against a lesser opponent is better in what way?
For our record? Yep.
In any other way? Flip a coin.

Winning against a lesser opponent is better in what way?
For our record? Yep.
In any other way? Flip a coin.
Please explain how any loss is better than a win.

Please explain how any loss is better than a win.
I could see it if they played a team like Alabama and lost by a small margin. Maybe lose in OT or something. That could be seen as a bigger deal than beating a team like Kentucky.

Recruiting wise id day losing to bama in a shoot out 45-38 or something would definitely be more beneficial than beating Tennessee 13-10 or something. To me being able to say we went toe to toe with any of the SEC powers, florida bama or auburn sounds way better than just adding an 11th win. Either matchup runs the risk of getting blown out which wouldnt be a good look but i say play the best opponent you can in the best bowl you can. I dont get everyone being so dang scared. Dare to dream people.

Recruiting wise id day losing to bama in a shoot out 45-38 or something would definitely be more beneficial than beating Tennessee 13-10 or something. To me being able to say we went toe to toe with any of the SEC powers, florida bama or auburn sounds way better than just adding an 11th win. Either matchup runs the risk of getting blown out which wouldnt be a good look but i say play the best opponent you can in the best bowl you can. I dont get everyone being so dang scared. Dare to dream people.

How many tackles for a loss and sacks do we get with Dream Big on our team?

Last edited:

Is 11-2 better than 10-3? I think yes. Is Top 15 in the country better than 22nd in the country? Once again, I think yes. Are warm fuzzies for nine months better than nine months of "the coaches are such dummies" talk? Yep. Do we get to decide which bowl we play in against which opponent? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Personally, I want nothing to do with Alabama. For a reason different than what you might think.

It is very likely that several Alabama potential NFL draft picks will sit out the game. First time these kids aren't playing for the National Championship - and they aren't going to risk injury in what they will view as a "secondary" bowl game.

So for the Gophers

If we win - the story is that we defeated a depleted Alabama team that did not have all its best players.
If we lose - the story is we aren't as good as the Alabama reserves.

I see it as a no win for the Gophers. So count me out. I'll take anyone BUT Alabama as our bowl opponent.

Personally, I want nothing to do with Alabama. For a reason different than what you might think.

It is very likely that several Alabama potential NFL draft picks will sit out the game. First time these kids aren't playing for the National Championship - and they aren't going to risk injury in what they will view as a "secondary" bowl game.

So for the Gophers

If we win - the story is that we defeated a depleted Alabama team that did not have all its best players.

I see it as a no win for the Gophers. So count me out. I'll take anyone BUT Alabama as our bowl opponent.

I can see that and agree. Plus, with a lot of those backups being higher rated/more talented than Minnesota, they could still play at 80% lets say, and still be as good if not a little better than our guys. I also worry that Alabama would be able to expose our issues more than other teams. If Wisconsin can easily do it, why wouldn't a team with more talent and better players be able to if not even more easily/better?

Though, with you saying no Alabama, what about Auburn? Do they scare you as much?

I can see that and agree. Plus, with a lot of those backups being higher rated/more talented than Minnesota, they could still play at 80% lets say, and still be as good if not a little better than our guys. I also worry that Alabama would be able to expose our issues more than other teams. If Wisconsin can easily do it, why wouldn't a team with more talent and better players be able to if not even more easily/better?

Though, with you saying no Alabama, what about Auburn? Do they scare you as much?

I think Auburn is a more talented team than us, but the narrative is far different win or lose. I think we could give them a reasonably competitive game. So I'm all in for the try.

So for the Gophers

Nonsense. You make it sound like half the team will opt not to play. There might be a few that sit out, but it's not going to be some mass exodus of their best players.

I see people saying that Bama's best players would sit out the game. Well, I will just point out that it's possible that some of the Gopher players might also decide to sit out. As did Cashman last year.

Looking like the CFP is pretty much settled, at this point. Oklahoma won and LSU is easily beating Georgia.

The exact seeding will depend on what happens with Ohio State and Clemson's games, but each will win, just a matter of by how much. The top four will be some order of Ohio St, LSU, Clemson, and Oklahoma.

Now will be interesting to see if the committee keeps Wisconsin ahead of Auburn, in the final ranking.

Looking like the CFP is pretty much settled, at this point. Oklahoma won and LSU is easily beating Georgia.

The exact seeding will depend on what happens with Ohio State and Clemson's games, but each will win, just a matter of by how much. The top four will be some order of Ohio St, LSU, Clemson, and Oklahoma.

Now will be interesting to see if the committee keeps Wisconsin ahead of Auburn, in the final ranking.

Looks like Wisconsin will be staying ahead of Auburn with ease.

You know you have "first world" problems when there is so much speculation as to who your 10-win division co-champ will be playing on New Year's Day among Alabama, Auburn, etc :)

Looks like Wisconsin will be staying ahead of Auburn with ease.
Good. Three Big Ten teams in the NY6.
Ohio State CFP
Penn St, clear 2nd best team in the conference, Rose
Wisc, clear 3rd best, Cotton as the CFP #9

Good. Three Big Ten teams in the NY6.
Ohio State CFP
Penn St, clear 2nd best team in the conference, Rose
Wisc, clear 3rd best, Cotton as the CFP #9
I think Wisconsin might still go to Rose Bowl, but you never know...

I hate WI, but they deserve it. Though, I won’t lose any sleep if they don’t get it.
Absolutely don’t deserve it. No question.

Lost to Illinois. Lost to Ohio St, twice, by more than Penn St did.

Penn St deserves the Rose

Top Bottom