All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

Amir is a BEAST. Dropped 35 today on Champlin Park in a heavyweight match up this afternoon. An assortment of reverse lay ups, shots off the bounce, 3's on the wing off the catch and shoot and 3's from the top of the key. Flashed some of the great vision he has. High level defender. Floaters in the lane. Had a beautiful reverse lay up, driving left along the baseline and reversing on the opposite side of the basket.

Really worked on his shot. 2 years ago he was a liability shooting. He's turned himself into a very good shooter. So long. Grown to 6'7-6'8".

A relentless point guard that can put up the points. A long range shooting ball handling 2. A 3 point shooting wing that can slash and crash. Who knows, could probably fill in for Kareem at the 5. Did I just start premature Magic comparisons?

Amir has got to be Golden.

A relentless point guard that can put up the points. A long range shooting ball handling 2. A 3 point shooting wing that can slash and crash. Who knows, could probably fill in for Kareem at the 5. Did I just start premature Magic comparisons?

Amir has got to be Golden.

Once he adds on more weight now that he's working out, I feel like he'll be able to play positions 1-4 if he was asked to and be able to hold his own at all of them. Extremely versatile player!

@MSHSLjohn
Hopkins basketball player Amir Coffee reportedly out for the season with a knee injury.

@MSHSLjohn
Hopkins basketball player Amir Coffee reportedly out for the season with a knee injury.

Yikes. If true, I wonder how that affects his current offers. I imagine this will cause some teams to shy away.

Yikes. If true, I wonder how that affects his current offers. I imagine this will cause some teams to shy away.

I feel bad for Amir and I truly think he could've shot up the national rankings. But I think it's fair to say that this helps the Gophers some as blue blood programs may stay away.

@MSHSLjohn
Doogie reporting it too now wouldn't be surprised at all if this causes some teams to shy away.

I don't think too many teams will shy away. He will be back next season, maybe even this aau circuit. Today knee injuries are only a temporary setback, he may even comeback stronger

All Things Amir Coffey Thread UPDATED 9/11: #25 by ESPN, 9/12: #35 by Scout

Absolutely awful for the kid. Hopefully he comes back even better.

That's a shame. I hope he has a full recovery.

Go Gophers!!

I don't think too many teams will shy away. He will be back next season, maybe even this aau circuit. Today knee injuries are only a temporary setback, he may even comeback stronger

Can't see how some teams wouldn't shy away. Recruiting is a dirty business an while Amir is out others are playing and will take his spot. Amir will be an awesome get for someone. But realistically, it has to affect his recruiting.

I don't know the kid won't set foot on a college basketball floor for almost 2 years. Teams interested will likely watch his recovery closely but I seriously doubt any team pulls their offer on a potential top 10 kid in the 2016 class this early.

I don't know the kid won't set foot on a college basketball floor for almost 2 years. Teams interested will likely watch his recovery closely but I seriously doubt any team pulls their offer on a potential top 10 kid in the 2016 class this early.

2 years? Did his leg fall off?

He's a Junior in HS. It will be almost 2 years until he steps foot on a college court. Perhaps you mis-read the initial post you quoted.

Exactly. He will certainly be playing basketball in the next 2 years he just won't be playing for a college team for quite a while. This is why the injury shouldn't play into his recruiting. Shouldn't being the key word.

Probably will impact potential offers from Duke, Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky. Probably will miss at least Part of AAU ball/ and 2015 Evaluation periods.

He's a Junior in HS. It will be almost 2 years until he steps foot on a college court. Perhaps you mis-read the initial post you quoted.

Misread/didn't read/ got excited to post a snarky stupid post/all of the above.

Thanks for clarifying.

Probably will impact potential offers from Duke, Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky. Probably will miss at least Part of AAU ball/ and 2015 Evaluation periods.

I agree with this, and with tmvander. It may affect his offers from the bluebloods, but he's got time to the point where he'll likely have a slew of high major schools (i.e. the Michigan States, Arizona's).

I feel bad for him as he will likely miss or not be at full strength for the key evaluation periods which will impact his recruiting. While it may be 2 years from setting foot on a court, the real timeline is a year from now, when most kids sign, and next summer is when the pack separates. He may opt to be a late signee to give himself a chance to show he is full strength and get that top destination.

Either way, I hope he make a full recovery and has all options, including the Gophers.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

In all seriousness, Amir should end the recruiting and commit to the Gopher today and then focus on rehab and recovery. Everything to prepare for his college career are right here at his doorstep.

Not sure if this would be good news or bad news for us:

Go Gophers!!

Let's all hope Minnesota is on this top 5!

Let's all hope Minnesota is on this top 5!

He probably already pretty much knows the top 5. Minnesota, Baylor, and Transfer U are 3 for sure, because they're always mentioned. I'd bet he'll list Arizona and UCLA as the others.

As long as Minne's on there! Forgive my ignorance- Transfer U?

Top Bottom