All Things Alex Illikainen Recruitment Thread: UPDATED 11/12/18: Illikainen leaves UW

Has anyone heard from Dorsey since the Jarvis commit? Is he looking forward to playing with Jarvis or is he maybe thinking of decommitting? If he does, the scholarship opens back up for AI....

To clarify: I think Dorsey looks very good and I hope he doesn't decommit! Just starting a discussion!

I may not have the 19,000+ posts you do, but this still ain't my first rodeo. Even us vets drop the ball every now and again.

Like you said, sarcasm doesn't always come thru on a message board. I forgot the emiticom.

Has anyone heard from Dorsey since the Jarvis commit? Is he looking forward to playing with Jarvis or is he maybe thinking of decommitting? If he does, the scholarship opens back up for AI....

To clarify: I think Dorsey looks very good and I hope he doesn't decommit! Just starting a discussion!

No. I know it's a slow day but hard to discuss having our first (and highest rated) recruit decommit. Pretty sure the AI ship has sailed.

I personally wouldn't trade Dorsey for AI. In fact, I don't think I'd trade anyone in this year's class for AI. Josh Martin is going to be just as good if not better, IMO. Plus we also have King, Buggs, and presumably Diedhiou.

Wow. Your mind is running wild.

???? What. ????

Wow, I'm gone for awhile and come back to someone thinking that our Top Recruit should/could decommit so we can sign a local product. Man, I didn't think I was gone for THAT long :p

I personally wouldn't trade Dorsey for AI. In fact, I don't think I'd trade anyone in this year's class for AI. Josh Martin is going to be just as good if not better, IMO. Plus we also have King, Buggs, and presumably Diedhiou.
I like our class a lot but I would take AI over at least 2 guys in this class however there is not a whole lot of talent difference between AI and our commits. I really like his game and think he will have a great college career. IMO he would have been the most talented 4 on the team the day he stepped on campus and would have been perfect for Pitino's offense.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about him decommitting, but he has been quiet. He never really seemed like much of a tweeter or one to seek out attention, though. Same thing with McBrayer. I think that's a good thing. Pitino isn't recruiting the selfish, look-at-me types.

If it truly is down to WI and Iowa for AI I hope he goes with Iowa, only because I dislike them slightly less than the skunks. If he went to WI and lit us up I would be pissed. Somehow, for some reason, imagining him hitting a game winner against us dressed in hawkeye black and gold is slightly less painful than if he was with WI. I couldn't stomach that at all.

per Sid:

• Alex Illikainen, the highly recruited basketball player from Grand Rapids, Minn., who is playing his senior season for Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, is visiting Wisconsin this week and could commit. The Gophers like the 6-11 Illikainen a lot, but they don’t have a scholarship for him. There is a good chance he will wind up with the Badgers.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/275683621.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Alex Illikainen, the highly recruited basketball player from Grand Rapids, Minn., who is playing his senior season for Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, is visiting Wisconsin this week and could commit. The Gophers like the 6-11 Illikainen a lot, but they don’t have a scholarship for him. There is a good chance he will wind up with the Badgers.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/275683621.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

When did Alex grow to be 6'11"? I tend to believe the height of 6'9" that I've seen him listed at this summer is an exaggeration, and I can't imagine 6'11" is accurate.

When did Alex grow to be 6'11"? I tend to believe the height of 6'9" that I've seen him listed at this summer is an exaggeration, and I can't imagine 6'11" is accurate.

From watching him this spring and summer I thought 6'-9" was slightly generous for Alex's height. So, No. Someone messed up on that one.

@RyanJamesMN: Alex Illikainen has committed to Wisconsin

Alex I think you are a great player and have a great future but I hope you really struggle at Wisconsin at least every time you face the Gophers.

He literally looks evil in the picture that RJ tweeted. Hope you stay injury free AI, you are a talented player, but worst of luck to you on the court these next 4 years.

I so want to see a Konate or Martin block to the 4th row on AI for years to come now. Good luck AI you love the enemy I guess.

Congrats to him on being Wisconsin's backup plan. He is now unofficially a rival to MN.

Wisconsin taking our castoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to see him go to Wisconsin, but I think it's actually a good fit for him.

Ufdah. Wish him luck as a player but not for his team.

Unfortunately I think he'll do pretty well there. He certainly suits their style much more than ours. In such a guard orientated system it's going to be tough for us to land local bigs (or highly rated bigs in general) especially bigs who rely on their skill more than their athleticism. But I believe in Pitino, the system and this is the way basketball is headed so i'm not too worried about missing out on A.I. I wish the kid luck except against us obviously.

I hate to see him go to Wisconsin, but I think it's actually a good fit for him.

Yep, I agree completely. Hate to see Wisconsin pick up a player that should fit their system very well.

Unfortunately I think he'll do pretty well there. He certainly suits their style much more than ours. In such a guard orientated system it's going to be tough for us to land local bigs (or highly rated bigs in general) especially bigs who rely on their skill more than their athleticism. But I believe in Pitino, the system and this is the way basketball is headed so i'm not too worried about missing out on A.I. I wish the kid luck except against us obviously.
Alex would have been a perfect fit for Pitino's system and I have little doubt if we had a scholarship open still he would have been a Gopher.

Top Bottom