All Things Alex Illikainen Recruitment Thread: UPDATED 11/12/18: Illikainen leaves UW

Why can't AI wait until the Spring signings? I certainly will like to see him in a Gophers inu.

I would too, but he's not going to wait until spring; kids who wait til spring either haven't qualified yet, think they are better than the offers they have gotten and are trying to "move up," or are so good that they know they're going to have the pick of the litter anyway. Alex is none of these. A good prospect who still has good offers on the table even if his #1 choice is no longer available to him.

What guarantees does Richard have that Gaston will past the exam/administration lets him in? Does that swing the conversation a little bit? As of right now the Gophers have 5 open scholarship slots for the team. Come Spring that could be a completely different story, and we can all say till were blue in the face that Gaston "SHOULD" have passed the test and be on the team now. But he didn't, and there is no way to know whether or not he will in the 2nd semester.

Does Pitino then sign AI now and gamble with the attrition and move Gaston to a 2015 scholarship? Would Gaston wait for that?

I think its a bit more complicated than we think. But I agree with most that AI is likely a goner and Gaston is likely to be a gopher come January.

I think you're onto something here. I keep thinking about Gopher Luck and how things tend to play out in this institution. Gopher Luck dictates that we'll miss out on Alex because of Gaston, and then we'll miss out on Gaston, too. And then something else will happen, and we'll be two players short.

I think you're onto something here. I keep thinking about Gopher Luck and how things tend to play out in this institution. Gopher Luck dictates that we'll miss out on Alex because of Gaston, and then we'll miss out on Gaston, too. And then something else will happen, and we'll be two players short.

Yes indeed. I see your vision turning to reality, but I also get the sense that Richard and his crew have the contacts and the work ethic to soften the blow of your nightmare.

All said and done, I am disappointed we will likely lose out on a top notch local recruit, but it wasn't for lack of effort or bad talent evaluation that it's happening. Alex had plenty of time to commit and chose not to. I'd love to see him wait the Gophers out, but I agree with the analysis above that the typical reasons for waiting until spring are not there for him. I'll be one unhappy camper if he ends up a Badger, though.

No. Word is Minnesota was the leader throughout and he wanted to come here. Seems to have just assumed he had a bit more time to enjoy the process and be "sure" before pulling the trigger, and I guess you can see why. It was extremely unusual and amazing how we filled the final 3 scholarships in the span of less than 2 weeks at the end of August and beginning of Sept. (Jarvis silent verballed the Monday after his visit, meaning we were done on Sept. 8). I would bet that's never happened here.

Obviously it's not like he's left out on the street, having the Iowa and Wisconsin offer as well as the east coast offers. But he's never going to have the same experience Jarvis is going to get, and being that Alex doesn't really look like a pro prospect, he missed a big opportunity to secure a legacy here that would help his post-basketball life.

I think he probably got some bad advice from people in his camp, and overplayed his hand.

I like the idea that Pitino stuck behind the players he has already recruited- including Gaston and also that he is making the scholarship to play for the Gophers more than just a fall back option for local kids. You want to play here- commit before the spot is gone. Now if Gaston doesn't pan out- then they have more guys they can look at come spring. I think they like Gaston and I say he does pass the exams otherwise he would not be here right now doing the work- he'd be back home.

Word is AI got a seed of doubt planted in his head that perhaps we wanted him more because he's from Minnesota, than we did because we loved his game. He was still a huge Minnesota lean, but there might have been just enough doubt that he wanted to check out some options to make sure he was making the right decision. AI was on campus this month for his official visit & knew Nwanko was coming in soon, so he knew the deal. Pitino did the right thing in taking Nwanko & shutting it down for the year. It sends the right message to local players, that we want you, but if you wait too long, we'll find someone else outside of Minnesota that wants to be here. It also means that if he goes to UW, it's because he lost his U of M schollie, not because he preferred them (smart!). The sad thing is that his game could have really helped us. It seems all our recent front court players are rebounder/shot blocker/two-handed-put-back kind of players & we could have used a skilled scorer/passer to compliment them up front.

AI is from Grand Rapids & wants to stay close to home apparently. With Minnesota off the table, Wisconsin becomes the logical choice geographically. Factor in that they're coming off a Final Four & that guys with similar skills have done really well in Wisconsin's system & it's not hard to understand why he's looking at UW. As much as I want to hate AI for this, I just can't muster any outrage given the circumstances.

No. Word is Minnesota was the leader throughout and he wanted to come here. Seems to have just assumed he had a bit more time to enjoy the process and be "sure" before pulling the trigger, and I guess you can see why. ...

Well, that backfired on him.

I know it's a long shot but since he is at a prep school he could re-classify, play 2 years at Brewster instead of 1 and re-open his recruitment.

Most HS BB players want to lock up a scholarship by the November signing date. There is no certainty that a scholarship will be available in the spring because a current underclassmen scholarship player would have to leave. Alex is not going to be a Gopher; that ship has sailed.

This is somewhat true but recent years have seen players who wait for spring really benefit. If AI has patience, he will probably have a lot of options come spring, especially if he has a good year.

This thread is starting to get amusing. What makes you guys think that Alex would be willing to wait until the Spring or re-classify in order to have a potential shot at getting a Gophers scholarship that might happen to open up? If he really had that much interest and wanted to play with the Gophers that badly, he would have committed a long time ago. I'm not saying that there is 0% chance he ends up with the Gophers, but I think a lot of the people on here are really overstating his interest level. I think if he does end up at the U, it will be by Pitino "oversigning" in the Fall, otherwise I highly doubt it happens.

This thread is starting to get amusing. What makes you guys think that Alex would be willing to wait until the Spring or re-classify in order to have a potential shot at getting a Gophers scholarship that might happen to open up? If he really had that much interest and wanted to play with the Gophers that badly, he would have committed a long time ago. I'm not saying that there is 0% chance he ends up with the Gophers, but I think a lot of the people on here are really overstating his interest level. I think if he does end up at the U, it will be by Pitino "oversigning" in the Fall, otherwise I highly doubt it happens.

+1

He obviously wasn't that interested in the U. His situation kind of reminds me of JP's last year.

I've always wondered if the log jam at the 4 currently on the roster had anything to do with it, I haven't looked at Wiscy or Iowa's rosters but they might have a greater need, with the commitment of Nwankwo maybe he felt somewhere else would be better, I couldn't argue with that. You can say he would play right away anyway but nothing is that guaranteed.

I've always wondered if the log jam at the 4 currently on the roster had anything to do with it, I haven't looked at Wiscy or Iowa's rosters but they might have a greater need, with the commitment of Nwankwo maybe he felt somewhere else would be better, I couldn't argue with that. You can say he would play right away anyway but nothing is that guaranteed.

This appears to have a lot to do with it from both sides. My guess is that they still gave him the first shot but the roster has four "4's" on it already and only one center until Nwankwo committed. That's not to say Gaston or Martin couldn't play a little bit of time at the 5 if needed but they are 4's ideally.

Pitino is having a lot easier time getting top kids to come to Minnesota. If Gaston doesn't qualify in the spring, I have do doubt that Pitino can find a replacement and that replacement will either be a player even better than Gaston or a transfer who can contribute faster than Gaston. And my guess is that in 2016, after another great year and a run in the NCAA tourney, that Pitino is going to get a pair of awesome recruits when Morris and King graduate. I think after the first couple rounds of recruiting he learned to take a bird in the hand instead of two in the bush…17 year olds are fickle…take the ones who really want to be here and move on. Would have been great to have Alex but I am pretty stoked about the guys we got and excited for this next year.

I'll just say recruiting is a risky game. It's sometimes in the kids best interest to take a while to decide. The more info you gather the better decision you can make. It's also a risk for coaches to decide whether to wait for a player or not. My guess is the staff had to feel Nwanko was in the same ballpark as AI talent wise I not better.

Pitino is having a lot easier time getting top kids to come to Minnesota. If Gaston doesn't qualify in the spring, I have do doubt that Pitino can find a replacement and that replacement will either be a player even better than Gaston or a transfer who can contribute faster than Gaston. And my guess is that in 2016, after another great year and a run in the NCAA tourney, that Pitino is going to get a pair of awesome recruits when Morris and King graduate. I think after the first couple rounds of recruiting he learned to take a bird in the hand instead of two in the bush…17 year olds are fickle…take the ones who really want to be here and move on. Would have been great to have Alex but I am pretty stoked about the guys we got and excited for this next year.

Wow, I had the exact same thought. Not that he was burned by chasing those five-stars - it might have been strategic: you get one of those, and imagine the splash and the momentum! But back to earth, he's sitting here with a nationally ranked class, and as they say, that's not bad. Building momentum and an impressive foundation. Wait til we get some better facilities. Don't want to get too giddy, but...

I'll just say recruiting is a risky game. It's sometimes in the kids best interest to take a while to decide. The more info you gather the better decision you can make. It's also a risk for coaches to decide whether to wait for a player or not. My guess is the staff had to feel Nwanko was in the same ballpark as AI talent wise I not better.
I kind of agree I think they felt that if they could get commitments from any of Dorsey, McBrayer, Johnson, Illikainen, Nwankwo, and Clarke they were gonna take them no matter what just based on talent and not wait and get burned because you have 1 guy ranked a spot higher than the guy who wants to commit.

Doesn't Nwankwo project as a 5? I would love an O with 3 killer guards and 2 big (6'10"ish) running 4s anyway. Who cares if the 4s are bangers or shooters when they can be both. Pitino is quickly bringing elite talent to the Gophers. I'm installing a seat belt in my chair.

Doesn't Nwankwo project as a 5? I would love an O with 3 killer guards and 2 big (6'10"ish) running 4s anyway. Who cares if the 4s are bangers or shooters when they can be both. Pitino is quickly bringing elite talent to the Gophers. I'm installing a seat belt in my chair.
Yes I believe he even posted that himself somewhere on here.

5's 4's 3's 2's 1's dont matter. If you look at Pitino in Louisville and Donovan at Florida and you'l see a wide spread of utilization on the 4 and 5 positions. Billy utilizes a stretch four and a solid banger style 5 albiet one without as much size. Look as far back to the Joakim Noah days, he wasn't a prototypical 5 with size and length, more of a scrapper banger type.

UL utilizes more of a long shot blocking rebounding pick and roll to the hoop type of 5. I expect Richard will employ both types all dependent on what he can recruit. Seems to me that he's got a little bit of both with KoNOTODAY and Wonk Woh having a bit of each style in them.

He's got a lot of experience in differnet styles to pull from, and i suspect thats just what he will do. Size, athleticism and do something really well and he'll find time for ya.

Get the feeling he'll be a Badger. Probably sees himself in the Leuer/Kaminsky mold, and has probably made note of the Grinch's success with big guys who can shoot.

Get the feeling he'll be a Badger. Probably seems himself in the Leuer/Kaminsky mold, and has probably made note of the Grinch's success with big guys who can shoot.

All this plus: they're coming off a Final Four, they're close to home & he has a comittable offer on the table. Like I've said, I want to hate him, but I can't given the circumstances.

As good as AI is, C's are harder to find than PF's. If AI's not 100% on board, not surprising that we'd go after Nwanko, a 5. An athletic, shot blocker, offensive rebounder type at 6'11" is a lot harder to find than another slow, skilled PF. My 0.02

As good as AI is, C's are harder to find than PF's. If AI's not 100% on board, not surprising that we'd go after Nwanko, a 5. An athletic, shot blocker, offensive rebounder type at 6'11" is a lot harder to find than another slow, skilled PF. My 0.02

You're exactly right. Nwankwo is another standard deviation to the right of Illikainen in terms of height. Thus, there are many more people Illikainen's size than Nwankwo's size. All things being equal or close to equal, you're better off taking the rarer commodity.

Below from zagsblog
"
Alex Illikainen, a 6-9 power forward from Brewster (N.H.) Academy, is down to Iowa and Wisconsin, Brewster coach Jason Smith told SNY.tv.

He has visited Iowa and will trip to Wisconsin next weekend.

“He’s pretty much down to those two,” Smith told SNY.tv. “Alex has said he’s said pretty content with those two schools. He’s perfectly content with the two schools remaining.”

One source — not Smith — told SNY.tv they expect Illikainen to land at Wisconsin.
"

http://zagsblog.com/brewster-academy/brewster-power-forward-illikainen-down-to-iowa-wisconsin/

Below from buckys5thquarter

"Is there reason for renewed hope in Bo Ryan's 2015 recruiting class after all? The Badgers appear to be in the driver's seat for a nice "stretch-4" prospect."

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wis...uiting-alex-illikainen-decision-timeline-iowa

If AI REALLY wants to be a Gopher, he could walk on his first year and then be on schollie after that. That being said, his financial situation may not allow that and as others said, he may have no true desire to be here.

If AI REALLY wants to be a Gopher, he could walk on his first year and then be on schollie after that. That being said, his financial situation may not allow that and as others said, he may have no true desire to be here.
LOL if he wanted to be a Gopher that bad he would have been our first commit.

Top Bottom