All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Neither of the starting LG from last year are on the team this year.

Another KAM failure for not re-signing Risner.
I thought I read about how Risner was not good.

Being mocked for not starting right away as a matter of fact. It's all so confusing.

Probably should have said doesn't look as good. Most people feel that next year will not have as much depth as this year's class. Of course that can change. At this point though, the talent at QB does not look as good as this year.

I always kinda hate that though, projecting to a year from now with college guys. A whole lot of development taking place with 20-22 year old QBs during that time.

Two years before the year he declared, around this time of year I think, Sam Howell was mocked as the #1 QB and #1 overall pick; he went in the 4th round. At this time last year, Jayden Daniels was nowhere to be found. I think the year before he came out, Justin Herbert was projected/mocked #1 overall, and then Tua-mania took over, Tank For Tua, etc... and in the meantime Joe Burrow came out of nowhere.

Last September, Shadeur Sanders was being mocked in the Top 5 of next month's draft.

In short, I'll worry about next year's QB class when it's time to worry about it.

I always kinda hate that though, projecting to a year from now with college guys. A whole lot of development taking place with 20-22 year old QBs during that time.

Two years before the year he declared, around this time of year I think, Sam Howell was mocked as the #1 QB and #1 overall pick; he went in the 4th round. At this time last year, Jayden Daniels was nowhere to be found. I think the year before he came out, Justin Herbert was projected/mocked #1 overall, and then Tua-mania took over, Tank For Tua, etc... and in the meantime Joe Burrow came out of nowhere.

Last September, Shadeur Sanders was being mocked in the Top 5 of next month's draft.

In short, I'll worry about next year's QB class when it's time to worry about it.
I get it. I’m specifically looking at the Vikings. Assuming they’re trying to set up for a run in 2025, I’d rather have one of the top guys from this year going into year 2 than relying on a rookie from next year’s draft.

Really would like to see a defensive tackle early somehow.
We haven't gotten pressure up the middle in years.

That Texas defensive tackle to pair with the ends would there for years. With Caleb going to Chicago, Love being a pain, and Goff the same.........we need pressure from the middle.

We haven't gotten pressure up the middle in years.

That Texas defensive tackle to pair with the ends would there for years. With Caleb going to Chicago, Love being a pain, and Goff the same.........we need pressure from the middle.
The Williams Wall literally controlled the line of scrimmage. I'm a huge fan of Newton from Illinois, too.

I'm feeling the Vikings should just stand pat with their picks. If McCarthy slips to 11, great. If not, take the best defensive player at 11 and Pennix at 23. If he's gone, take the best player at 23 and try to get back into the 2nd round and take Rattler.

I'm feeling the Vikings should just stand pat with their picks. If McCarthy slips to 11, great. If not, take the best defensive player at 11 and Pennix at 23. If he's gone, take the best player at 23 and try to get back into the 2nd round and take Rattler.

I have to believe there is a less than zero chance the Vikings are drafting Penix, much less at #23. He doesn't fit what KOC wants to do on offense, at all, besides the fact that he has some serious deficiencies throwing the football, and his laundry list of medical issues. He's not getting taken in the 1st round, by anybody.

I think KOC ane the Vikings probably have at least one contingency plan that involves rolling with Darnold if they have to. Looking at the schedule, the Vikings could win 8-9 games with Darnold under center, provided they picked up a few more pieces in FA (they have the money to add people) and hit on a few people in the draft.

It may not be the preferable option, but I have to believe they have at least planned for that possibility.

I have to believe there is a less than zero chance the Vikings are drafting Penix, much less at #23. He doesn't fit what KOC wants to do on offense, at all, besides the fact that he has some serious deficiencies throwing the football, and his laundry list of medical issues. He's not getting taken in the 1st round, by anybody.

I think KOC ane the Vikings probably have at least one contingency plan that involves rolling with Darnold if they have to. Looking at the schedule, the Vikings could win 8-9 games with Darnold under center, provided they picked up a few more pieces in FA (they have the money to add people) and hit on a few people in the draft.

It may not be the preferable option, but I have to believe they have at least planned for that possibility.
It might not be the Vikings, but I'd bet $$ on Pennix going in the first round.

It might not be the Vikings, but I'd bet $$ on Pennix going in the first round.

He's not going in the first round. He's just not. At this point, he seems to be the consensus 6th best QB available in the draft. Let's look at this from an analytical standpoint. Let's assume the first 3 teams draft QB's. Not an iron-clad lock, but let's make that assumption.

The teams that right now you would classify as QB-needy and their current option at QB:

NY Giants Daniel Jones
DEN Broncos Stidham
MN Viking Darnold
LV Raiders Minshew-O'Connell

All of these teams, with the exception of the Broncos, could easily be comfortable with playing out this season with the guys they have listed, rather than burn a 1st Round pick on a player that grades out as a 2nd or 3rd round pick, and wasn't even in their top 5 at the position.

In order for Penix to get drafted in the 1st round, you're saying that at least 3 of these teams listed are going think that their 1st round pick would be better spent on a QB that was not even close to being in the top 3-4 on their QB board than picking the best player available or a player that could fill a major hole on their roster.

This isn't an elite QB class, by any stretch. Taking the 5th or 6th best prospect would be GM malpractice by someone.

Assuming they’re trying to set up for a run in 2025
Huh? Based on what?

If they trade for a vet QB, then maybe they'll be just as well set up this year as 25 or 26. If they draft a rookie, then again I don't necessarily see 25 being any more special than this year.

Glad to have you aboard

As more people realize how absurd the competition is to draft QB's this year is, and our justified and correct unwillingness to give the farm away to jump into that cow auction bidding war, this position will become the accepted one.

Huh? Based on what?

If they trade for a vet QB, then maybe they'll be just as well set up this year as 25 or 26. If they draft a rookie, then again I don't necessarily see 25 being any more special than this year.
They have bad contracts they're still dealing with this upcoming season. Most of that clears and they will have a pretty substantial amount of cap space in 25. They have a lot of holes that they aren't going to be able to all fill in the draft and free agency this year. I think they'll be competitive in 24 but have a better chance of being great in 25 IMO.

They have bad contracts they're still dealing with this upcoming season. Most of that clears and they will have a pretty substantial amount of cap space in 25. They have a lot of holes that they aren't going to be able to all fill in the draft and free agency this year. I think they'll be competitive in 24 but have a better chance of being great in 25 IMO.
Huh. Seems they've added a crapload of FA additions recently and are set everywhere on offense other than QB and LG.

Huh. Seems they've added a crapload of FA additions recently and are set everywhere on offense other than QB and LG.
QB is kinda an important position, no?

The main free agents other than Aaron Jones all signed 2 or 3 year contracts so they'll be there in 25 too. Not saying they're going to tank this year, clearly they're not. If they draft well this year, I think they have a chance to be really good in 25.

I can definitely understand this line of thinking. For me, the line in the sand is the 2025 1st round pick. I'm willing to trade both our firsts this year for the QB we want but not the 2025 1st round pick. That will likely be a really good pick.

Vikes are such Fing fools if they trade the farm to get into the top 3. Played like a fiddle

Vikes are such Fing fools if they trade the farm to get into the top 3. Played like a fiddle
Well, they were fools to take Addison last year.

Since this is your take this year.........hell ya, go to the top 3

I'm assuming a cap casualty? Looks like cap savings is $21MM for 2024 season by getting rid of him. His guaranteed money only goes through 2024, so may as well get something for him if you're not planning on re-signing him. However, they are most certainly in a "win now" window, so still a bit surprising.

As a corollary to our situation, it sure seems that highly paid WR's have a hard time staying in one place for too long.

FWIW - The Athletic has a new NFL Consensus Draft board. (it "combines rankings from a wide range of draft experts") This is an overall ranking - not a prediction of draft order. but it shows how some people rank the various prospects.

1. Caleb Williams QB
2. Marvin Harrison Jr WR
3. Drake Maye QB
4. Malik Nabers WR
5. Rome Odunze WR
6. Brock Bowers TE
7. Joe Alt OT
8. Dallas Turner EDGE
9. Jayden Daniels QB
10. Jared Verse EDGE
--------
others of note
21. JJ McCarthy QB
32. Bo Nix QB
40. Michael Penix Jr QB
45. Tyler Nubin S
100. Spencer Rattler QB

and "draft analyst" Nick Baumgardner says in his opinion, Penix is too high. He does not think Penix is a top-50 prospect.

my reaction - 3 WR among the top 5.

FWIW - The Athletic has a new NFL Consensus Draft board. (it "combines rankings from a wide range of draft experts") This is an overall ranking - not a prediction of draft order. but it shows how some people rank the various prospects.

1. Caleb Williams QB
2. Marvin Harrison Jr WR
3. Drake Maye QB
4. Malik Nabers WR
5. Rome Odunze WR
6. Brock Bowers TE
7. Joe Alt OT
8. Dallas Turner EDGE
9. Jayden Daniels QB
10. Jared Verse EDGE
--------
others of note
21. JJ McCarthy QB
32. Bo Nix QB
40. Michael Penix Jr QB
45. Tyler Nubin S
100. Spencer Rattler QB

and "draft analyst" Nick Baumgardner says in his opinion, Penix is too high. He does not think Penix is a top-50 prospect.

my reaction - 3 WR among the top 5.
Just shows how badly overvalued QB prospects become when it’s time to draft.

Drafting a QB in the first round really is almost a no win proposition. Unless you hit the jackpot.

I'm assuming a cap casualty? Looks like cap savings is $21MM for 2024 season by getting rid of him. His guaranteed money only goes through 2024, so may as well get something for him if you're not planning on re-signing him. However, they are most certainly in a "win now" window, so still a bit surprising.

As a corollary to our situation, it sure seems that highly paid WR's have a hard time staying in one place for too long.
I guess. The return is still awfully low. That's why those who want to trade Jefferson are mistaken IMO. You won't get nearly what you think.

I guess. The return is still awfully low. That's why those who want to trade Jefferson are mistaken IMO. You won't get nearly what you think.

Diggs will turn 31 this season and is in the backside of his career. Plus he’s a head case.

JJ is 6 years younger and just entering his prime. Their value is not comparable.

Top Bottom