All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Doing the 50/50 split allows Jeffers to play more overall. He DH's more and can pinch hit. If it's like 75/25, then Jeffers will need more straight days off.

He has appeared in 19 of the last 20 games, and has gotten at least 2 PA in the last 14 games.
It helps that they don't really have a set DH at the moment. But once they get Lewis back, you're swapping Larnach/Miranda/Kiriloff for Vazquez it's a bit tougher. At the very least if you're going to PH him, let him PH for Vazquez and catch 2-3 innings instead of PH him for Larnach etc. I'd rather have Jeffers catch 100 and DH 20 than catch 80 and DH 50.

It helps that they don't really have a set DH at the moment. But once they get Lewis back, you're swapping Larnach/Miranda/Kiriloff for Vazquez it's a bit tougher. At the very least if you're going to PH him, let him PH for Vazquez and catch 2-3 innings instead of PH him for Larnach etc.
It's possible they may let him catch a bit more at times later on. Right now the Twins are in a period where they have 1 off day in 24 days.

It's possible they may let him catch a bit more at times later on. Right now the Twins are in a period where they have 1 off day in 24 days.
They never really went away from it last year. Until the play-offs when Vazquez never saw the field. So clearly Rocco agrees there's a large gap. It's basically a difference of 1 game per week, so it's not a hill to die on, but if you sign him to a Mauer-like extension I think it becomes an issue.

I don't have access to all the analytics and computer data that Rocco uses to make out the lineup. But I hear anecdotal evidence that Vazquez is still considered the better defensive catcher.

but - there's no question that his offensive numbers keep declining - OPS at .459 (even lower than Farmer). Last year his OPS was .598.

I don't see the Twins eating the last year of his contract at $10-Million. and I can't imagine his trade value is very high. But - I could see them trying to include Vazquez as part of a larger trade package at the trade deadline this year or maybe during the off-season.

wouldn't mind seeing Camargo get a chance to see what he could do with the Twins.

I don't have access to all the analytics and computer data that Rocco uses to make out the lineup. But I hear anecdotal evidence that Vazquez is still considered the better defensive catcher.

but - there's no question that his offensive numbers keep declining - OPS at .459 (even lower than Farmer). Last year his OPS was .598.

I don't see the Twins eating the last year of his contract at $10-Million. and I can't imagine his trade value is very high. But - I could see them trying to include Vazquez as part of a larger trade package at the trade deadline this year or maybe during the off-season.

wouldn't mind seeing Camargo get a chance to see what he could do with the Twins.
His defense is pretty good overall. Last year him and Jeffers defensively were pretty close with the analytics. This year so far Vazquez is a lot better defensively than Jeffers.

Vazquez is hitting the ball harder this year compared to last. Average exit velocity is 91.1. He's never been 90+ in his career. Higher barrel percentage too. Strikeouts are way too high though. When he's hitting the ball it's harder but he's hitting the ball less.

A decent article about him from earlier today: https://twinsdaily.com/news-rumors/...n-vazquez-catcher-defense-jeffers-leadership/

Top pitching prospect Paul Skenes (and more importantly Livvy Dunne) makes his debut tomorrow in Pittsburgh. Was the overall #1 pick less than 10 months ago. They have some fun young arms with him and Jared Jones.

Top pitching prospect Paul Skenes (and more importantly Livvy Dunne) makes his debut tomorrow in Pittsburgh. Was the overall #1 pick less than 10 months ago. They have some fun young arms with him and Jared Jones.
I'll be tuning in. MLB.tv has every game free all weekend long (though I assume blackout rules still apply, so that doesn't help the Bally's/Xfinity folks).

Pat Reusse had a recent column in the Strib featuring an interview with former Twins' pitching coach Wes Johnson. Johnson was Skenes' pitching coach at LSU last year - Johnson is now the head coach at Georgia. Wes is still very keen on analytics.

Mannny won’t go! Keep penciling him in Rocko.

We can just hope he has as long as tenure as Jake Cave’s did.

Impressive 5 inning from Ryan - no runs with guys on 2nd and 3rd with zero outs.

Max Factor with the insurance run and now riding a 12 game hitting streak

Last edited:

Just called ball 2 on Biggio that was strike 3. Ends up walking with 2 outs and now 2 on.

Twins up 3-1

Jax makes me nervous as a closer.

again, I understand what Rocco is doing with using Duran in the 8th. But I would feel better if Stewart was healthy and available to pitch the 9th inning.

it worked today. it may not work the next time.

I agree, Jax is more of a set up guy then a closer. The insurance run Kepler drove in was much needed last night to secure this win.

Resistance is futile🤠

You’ll be sporting a Margot jersey by the end of the season😳
There will be no Margot-ritaville for me. His defense has evaporated and using him at DH is an affront to baseball fans and historians everywhere.

Give some younger guys those At Bats if we remain immune to properly funding this team.

Top Bottom