All Things 2023-24 Minnesota Wild In-Season Thread

Last April, the Wild lost Joel Eriksson Ek at the worst possible time.

History is repeating itself.

Eriksson Ek has missed Minnesota’s past two games and, while the Wild are expecting him back before the regular season ends, the team will play at least two more games without their top-line center. The team’s second-leading scorer with 29 goals and 60 points, Eriksson Ek didn’t travel to Southern California for a back-to-back set against Anaheim on Tuesday and Los Angeles on Wednesday.

“He’s rehabbing, and getting treatments, things like that,” coach John Hynes told reporters after a practice Monday afternoon at the Ducks’ Honda Center. “So, I think it’s probably more beneficial for him to do it there, have more time and more facilities than you do sometimes on the road..

Wild beating up on the hapless Ducks tonight, still clinging to their playoff lives! It's going to be a race, down to the wire. I have no idea what got into the Nashville Predators a month or so ago but they are on some kind of a roll.

Wild beating up on the hapless Ducks tonight, still clinging to their playoff lives! It's going to be a race, down to the wire. I have no idea what got into the Nashville Predators a month or so ago but they are on some kind of a roll.

Wild shut out the Ducks 4-0 while the Golden Knights lost again, this time to Tampa Bay, 5-3.

Things will get better out there when the Timberwolves come to town.

Wild shut out the Ducks 4-0 while the Golden Knights lost again, this time to Tampa Bay, 5-3.

Things will get better out there when the Timberwolves come to town.

I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if VGK missed the playoffs this year honestly.

With Vegas hosting the NHL Draft at the Sphere (I got tickets!), it would be neat to see them have a decent 1st round pick; people might stop bitching about LTIR and "Cap Circumvention!!" for a while, and really, it would save me a few bucks; I've spent more on NHL playoff tickets in the last few years than probably most NHL fans spend on their season tickets.

MN Wild playoff tickets must be pretty cheap really.... they never play more than the First Round! :cool:;)

I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if VGK missed the playoffs this year honestly.

With Vegas hosting the NHL Draft at the Sphere (I got tickets!), it would be neat to see them have a decent 1st round pick; people might stop bitching about LTIR and "Cap Circumvention!!" for a while, and really, it would save me a few bucks; I've spent more on NHL playoff tickets in the last few years than probably most NHL fans spend on their season tickets.

MN Wild playoff tickets must be pretty cheap really.... they never play more than the First Round! :cool:;)

Sure you wouldn't.:cool:

You think those Wild playoff tickets will be as cheap as the Las Vegas Timberwolves tickets will be?

Glad I had beer league puck last night and missed that 6-0 thrashing by the Kings. Ouch

After getting dismantled Wednesday in a key game at Los Angeles, the Wild needed some good news on Friday — and they got it.

Joel Eriksson Ek, Minnesota top-line center and second-leading scorer, went through an entire practice at TRIA Rink and could play in Saturday afternoon’s game against the St. Louis Blues at Xcel Energy Center.

Eriksson Ek suffered a lower-body injury in a 4-1 victory over Arizona on March 12 and has missed the past four games, a major blow for a team hanging on to slim postseason hopes with 12 regular-season games remaining.

“He’s made significant progress,” coach John Hynes said. “I’m not sure about (Saturday), but obviously he was out there with a full practice. We want to make sure that when he gets back, he’s truly ready to get going.”

Eriksson Ek has 29 goals and 60 points this season, and is tied with Kirill Kaprizov for a team-high 12 power-play goals. After Saturday, the Wild don’t play again until Thursday against San Jose at the X, the second of six straight home games..

Boldly flying by Binnington vs stopping in front and forcing him to freeze the puck is a perfect summary of the year.

Boldly flying by Binnington vs stopping in front and forcing him to freeze the puck is a perfect summary of the year.
Agree. To be fair, I think he realized his mistake and took it out on his stick, which he destroyed after the goal was scored.

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- — A banged-up Jordan Kyrou scored a hat trick and Brandon Saad tallied 2:05 into overtime to give the St. Louis Blues a 5-4 victory over the Minnesota Wild on Saturday.

Jake Neighbours also scored for the Blues, who are 6-1 in their last seven games. Pavel Buchnevich had three assists and Jordan Binnington made 30 saves.

Marco Rossi scored twice for the Wild. Marcus Johansson and Brock Faber also had goals for Minnesota, while Marc-Andre Fleury had 22 saves.

The win moved the Blues two points ahead of the Wild, who both trail Vegas in the race for the second wild-card spot in the Western Conference. The win was the Blues' third straight over the Wild, who fell to 6-2-2 in their last 10 as they opened a six-game homestand that could decide their playoff fate..

Throw in the towel. Get the best draft position you can. The Wild need young talent.

Hopefully the 1st Rounder is ready to contribute in 2025 when the Wild will have some cash to spend on high-end talent. Faber is going to eat a lot of that money up, though.

Outside of these guys, who else do we consider to be part of our core and high-end prospects moving forward?

Kaprizov
Erikkson-Ek
Boldy
Rossi
Faber

Outside of these guys, who else do we consider to be part of our core and high-end prospects moving forward?

Kaprizov
Erikkson-Ek
Boldy
Rossi
Faber
I know he’s had injury problems this season but Brodin is another one in my opinion.

Kaprizov
Erikkson-Ek
Boldy
Rossi
Faber

The goalie in Iowa, Wallstedt (?), is supposed to be one of the best goalie prospects in the NHL I believe, although I was there to see HSK (Vegas AHL team) tag him for 8 goals last month.

The goalie in Iowa, Wallstedt (?), is supposed to be one of the best goalie prospects in the NHL I believe, although I was there to see HSK (Vegas AHL team) tag him for 8 goals last month.
What about the new guy, Kushytooskinoff?

Spurgeon is a really good regular season defenseman but when it gets to the playoffs he gets tossed around like a pinball
Brodin for sure. He's signed through 27-28 and, when healthy, is a top level defensemen. He has been hurt all year. Spurgeon is signed through 26-27. A couple differences in these two - size, as you mention, is significant. Brodin is just as quick and stronger. Brodin's salary is $6MM, vs $7.5MM for Spurgeon. Brodin will turn 31 in July, Spurgeon 35 in November. It doesn't appear Brodin has a no-trade and Spurgeon can submit a 10 team no-trade list on July 1, 2024.

I would try very hard to get some good value for Spurgeon and keep Brodin. But good luck with the former, him being out for the season and a high number. If he plays well at the start of next season, I would shop him again. I'm not saying he's not skilled and an asset. He is. But at what price? Try to get someone to bite who needs stability on the back end.

Jake Middleton - signed through next season at $2.45MM. He's been asked to do too much this season, out of necessity. I think as a 5-6 D, at that price, I would extend a couple more years. He's tough, gritty, improving offense and a team player. Needs to improve significantly on winning puck battles in the D zone and zone exits. Just turned 28 in January.

Bogo - I love what he brings. He is in the final year of his 3 years at $850K/yr contract and just signed a 2 year extension at $1.25MM/yr - what a steal, if he holds up! He is another team player guy - lots of toughness. Good in offensive zone. Good at zone exits. Lots to like. Downside - he turns 34 in July.

One guy not mentioned above is Ryan Hartman. He's in an interesting situation as he currently has a leaguewide no-trade clause that expires at the end of the season. He signed a 3 year @$4MM/yr extension in October. There isn't a no-trade next year. The following, he has a 15 team list and the year after a 10 team list. He's a productive player and gritty as hell. I'm not sure how he is in the lockerroom, but I bet he is polarizing. I could be completely off, but he reminds me of HJ Pierzinski - love him when he's on your team, hate him otherwise. Could be wrong. Guy can score goals though, which we desperately need. And he's another never-gives-up guy. Not sure if I would shop him or not......

Good post Jake. Pretty much agree with all of it. Heading to the Vegas game Saturday. It’s been awhile

Playoff hopes are pretty much done with Vegas winning tonight. Now 10 points out with 11 to go. Not looking good

Playoff hopes are pretty much done with Vegas winning tonight. Now 10 points out with 11 to go. Not looking good

Except, they didn't. Coughed up a 3-goal lead in the 3rd period with the 3rd string goalie. They did get one point though.

Except, they didn't. Coughed up a 3-goal lead in the 3rd period with the 3rd string goalie. They did get one point though.
You got to be kidding me. Last I looked it was 4-1 and I thought in the bag. Okay 9 points back. Be great if it could get to 7 points by Saturdays game since I’ll be at the X. Make it a bit more interesting if they’d happen to win that one

You got to be kidding me. Last I looked it was 4-1 and I thought in the bag. Okay 9 points back. Be great if it could get to 7 points by Saturdays game since I’ll be at the X. Make it a bit more interesting if they’d happen to win that one

It's going to be a tough climb no matter what. I would expect the Wild's WC target to be the LA Kings, once VGK overtakes the Kings for 3rd in the Pacific, but the Kings have won 4 in a row now as well. Going to need one of those teams to slip up in a big way down the stretch

Good night for Minnesota hockey fans. University's Men's team beats Nebraska Omaha 3-2 in the playoffs while the Minnesota Wild beat San Jose 3-1 at Xcel.

Good night for Minnesota hockey fans. For haters not so much.

Good night for Minnesota hockey fans. University's Men's team beats Nebraska Omaha 3-2 in the playoffs while the Minnesota Wild beat San Jose 3-1 at Xcel.

Good night for Minnesota hockey fans. For haters not so much.

I couldn't believe I had to sweat out the MN portion of my parlay bet that included the Wild winning by 2+ goals. I think at the end of the first period, the Wild had outshot the lowly SJS 15-1 SOG. Whoa!!! It looks like San Jose has finally managed to separate themselves from Chicago in the race for the most ping pong balls this summer

Very cool to see both teams win, the Gophers made us sweat it out as well towards the end. GO GOPHERS!!!

Good post Jake. Pretty much agree with all of it. Heading to the Vegas game Saturday. It’s been awhile

A little Saturday afternoon matinee hockey!! This would be a good time for the Wild to take one from VGK, as VGK will be closing out a 4-game road trip by rolling tomorrow without:

G - Adin Hill
D - Alec Martinez
D - Alex Petriangelo
F - Mark Stone
F - William Carrier
C - Tomas Hertl

VGK backup goalie Logan Thompson has given up just one goal in each of his last 4 starts, playing in place of injured starter Adin Hill; along with a depleted VGK lineup, I really like the Under in this one, although I see it's down to only 5.5 right now. I think I also like the Wild to be leading after the 1st, if you're into prop bets; I see Vegas coming out flat playing in the afternoon two hours time difference.

Top Bottom