All Things 2023-24 Minnesota Wild In-Season Thread

It’s also funny that when you play your top defense pairing with your top line who good the team can look. Far too often under Dean that was not happening enough and it leads to issues being able to generate pressure.

These last 2 games the compete level is through the roof to where it was before Hynes came in. Hopefully it continues

These last 2 games the compete level is through the roof to where it was before Hynes came in. Hopefully it continues
The minutes were spread more evenly, with the 4th line deservedly given significantly more run.

Last edited:

Rossi's two goals lead Wild over Blackhawks 4-1

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- — Marco Rossi scored twice and Mats Zuccarello had a goal and two assists for the Minnesota Wild in a 4-1 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday.

Matt Boldy also scored for Minnesota, which has won three in a row after firing coach Dean Evason and replacing him with John Hynes. The Wild had scored 13 goals and lost seven straight games, leading to Evason’s dismissal. In the three games since, Minnesota has outscored opponents 13-3.

Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 27 shots for the Wild, who have won 10 in a row against Chicago.

The Blackhawks lost their third game in a row overall, with Petr Mrazek making 30 saves. Taylor Raddysh scored in the third period for Chicago, which has been outscored 13-2 during its losing streak.

In No. 1 draft pick Connor Bedard’s first game in Minnesota, it was the Wild’s standout rookie duo playing a big role on Sunday. Rossi, who has been elevated to the top line with Zuccarello and Kirill Kaprizov, scored just 2:11 into the game..

The winning streak has ended. Why? Their nemesis Casey DeSmith wouldn't let them score.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- — Casey DeSmith made 26 saves for his first shutout of the season and 10th in the NHL and the Vancouver Canucks beat Minnesota 2-0 on Thursday night to end the Wild's winning streak at four.

Nils Hoglander and Teddy Blueger scored to help Vancouver improve to 17-9-1.

DeSmith is undefeated against Minnesota.

“I didn’t know that,” DeSmith said. “I don’t think it’s anything in particular, I just try to show up every game and sometimes it goes your way.”

DeSmith last played on Nov. 25, with starting goalie Thatcher Demko getting the other four starts.

“I’ve always been somebody who can have a long layoff and hop back in and do my job,” DeSmith said. “I think it’s an extra focus in practice, a little extra gear that I have to have so when I go into a game, the game doesn’t feel that much faster.”.

Wild got to their hotel in Edmonton at 3:30 am after playing in Vancouver last night. The Oilers have a lot of high end offensive talent. McDavid is so silky smooth. Fleury gave up 4 goals as Edmonton doubled up on shots 40-20. Fleury actually kept us in the game - especially in the first period where the Oilers dominated play (18-4 shots). Among the numerous high danger plays, were several odd man and Grade A scoring chances. The legs were noticeably heavy and the guys didn’t have the jump they have had lately. Despite that, two goals at the start of the second period separated by 26 seconds tied the game at 2-2. As the game wore on after that and especially in the third period despite the low number of shots, the wild had several high danger opportunities to score, but couldn’t get the equalizer as they trailed and eventually lost 4-3.

Interesting notes:

1. Hartman stood out and had a productive game. He played on the PP and the last 2 minutes with the goalie pulled - where he rang one off the right post. Also, his good play could be related to……

2. Hynes was double shifting Kaprizov in the second half of the game- he played first line, like normal, then took second shifts with Dewar and Hartman.

3. Perhaps not coincidentally, Dewar also stood out and scored another goal. (Hartman had a terrific assist on that goal.)

4. Brodin missed most of the 3rd period after a dirty hit by Kane who checked him from behind face first into the glass. I don’t think it’s a concussion- maybe lower back. Edmonton got a PP right after that happened as Hartman took exception. That PP included the eventual game-winning goal.

5. E-Ek and Boldy both scored, continuing their hot streaks

6. Zucc was shut out- 2 nights in a row

And Kaprizov misses a wide open net that would have tied it

Yeah. True story. Well off the mark even. 😕
He’s been off the mark quite often this season. Last season not so much. And now Brodin will miss significant time from the massive check delivered by Kane

He’s been off the mark quite often this season. Last season not so much. And now Brodin will miss significant time from the massive check delivered by Kane
The Wild need to sign a guy they bring out very occasionally to beat the living shit out of someone with a suspendable cheap shot. Here’s my current list of targets:

1. Suter
2. Kane

The Wild need to sign a guy they bring out very occasionally to beat the living shit out of someone with a suspendable cheap shot. Here’s my current list of targets:

1. Suter
2. Kane

Can Draymond skate?

Gotta think Hakstol is on the hot seat after losing to the Wild last night 3-0 and brings the streak to 8 losses in a row

1. Suter
2. Kane

Reaves was always good for intimidation. Overpaid for what he delivered, but he served a purpose no doubt about it

Wild blank Kraken 3-0 to end road trip; Filip Gustavsson makes 24 saves

SEATTLE – Two wins and two losses are average by definition but in the Wild's case, two wins and two losses felt like a passing grade.

At the end of a four-game, six-day road trip that switched time zones at each stop and playing without their top defenseman, the Wild dismissed the Seattle Kraken 3-0 on Sunday night at Climate Pledge Arena to earn a hard-fought split.

Next up is a well-timed break, with the Wild's next game not until Thursday vs. Calgary at Xcel Energy Center.

"We're feeling good going back home," Zach Bogosian said. "Obviously, that's a huge way to end the road trip."

Filip Gustavsson racked up 24 saves for his second shutout of the season and first since the season opener, while Matt Boldy scored his sixth goal in seven games, Marco Rossi his ninth and Joel Eriksson Ek his team-leading 14th.

Overall, the Wild improved to 5-2 since John Hynes stepped behind the bench to sit four points back of the playoff cutline in the Western Conference...

After getting pulled in the first period Nov. 4 against the Rangers (three goals on four shots), Gustavsson hasn't allowed more than three goals in nine starts; in four of those games, he's been tagged for one goal or less.

And the Wild's next opponent is the team Gustavsson's had the most success against: He's 4-0-1 with a sharp .964 save percentage against the Flames, whom the Wild defeated to kick off this trek.

Reaves was always good for intimidation. Overpaid for what he delivered, but he served a purpose no doubt about it
Agree. And he could play a little too. But we cannot currently afford him.

Ryan Reaves signed a 3 year / $4,050,000 contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Because of that, I was thinking of some sort of super cheap, fly-by-night hired gun thug to take a run at those two guys. Not anybody else, so other teams get the message - you want to fuck with our best players, whoever does the deed is going to be put in the hospital. I cannot believe we haven't tried to take Suter out.

Every time I see one of our guys get run and nothing happens in retaliation the one and only Boogeyman comes to mind
A meaningless Foligno fight doesn’t get the job done. It doesn’t level things out. The league won’t do it. Suter didn’t even get a penalty. The league didn’t review it. And our God damned coach let it stand without retaliation, even though we got blown out in a subsequent game. If I had been coach, someone would have put Suter in the ICU before the series was over.

Sounds like some sort of drama has been festering in the Front Offices on 7th Street with the release of Asst GM Chris O'Hearn.

Wednesday's departure of assistant GM Chris O'Hearn only adds to the feeling of chaos and panic, and not just because of the unanswered questions about the justification for his dismissal, which team sources tell The Athletic came on the heels of multiple investigations into Wild executives by an outside firm commissioned by the organization.

Sounds like some sort of drama has been festering in the Front Offices on 7th Street with the release of Asst GM Chris O'Hearn.

Wednesday's departure of assistant GM Chris O'Hearn only adds to the feeling of chaos and panic, and not just because of the unanswered questions about the justification for his dismissal, which team sources tell The Athletic came on the heels of multiple investigations into Wild executives by an outside firm commissioned by the organization.
That doesn't sound good.

The new mn flag option with the stream stole the design from the mouth of the wild logo.

Spurgeon joins Brodin on the injured list. This is not good

Boldy scores in regulation and shootout as Wild beat Flames 3-2​

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- — Mats Zuccarello and Matt Boldy scored in the shootout to lift the Minnesota Wild over the Calgary Flames 3-2 on Thursday night.

Boldy and Marco Rossi scored in regulation for Minnesota, which is now 6-2 since John Hynes took over as coach for Dean Evason. Filip Gustavsson stopped 36 shots in goal for the Wild..

Boldy scores in regulation and shootout as Wild beat Flames 3-2​

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- — Mats Zuccarello and Matt Boldy scored in the shootout to lift the Minnesota Wild over the Calgary Flames 3-2 on Thursday night.

Boldy and Marco Rossi scored in regulation for Minnesota, which is now 6-2 since John Hynes took over as coach for Dean Evason. Filip Gustavsson stopped 36 shots in goal for the Wild..

Really good win considering they were missing Spurgeon and Brodin. Faber played a little over 30 minutes and 3 minutes of the 5 minute overtime

Really good win considering they were missing Spurgeon and Brodin. Faber played a little over 30 minutes and 3 minutes of the 5 minute overtime
Faber ate up a ton of ice time and by the end was completely gassed. Had an own goal on an unlucky carom off his skate - not his fault, really, he had no time to react. Play was dangerous and he was covering a would-be goal scorer, so bad break. Without that, we win 2-1 in regulation - at least in theory.

Top Bottom