All Things 2023-24 Minnesota Wild In-Season Thread

Not the same as others, though. Dozens of Grade A scoring chances. Just couldn’t get it over the red line. Lots to like about the game. Kaprizov with a goal and assist, and lots of star quality play. Also one horrible play that gave away a breakaway and a back-breaking goal. He needs to stop turning it over in the neutral zone and high in the O-zone.
It was definitely the case of the better team losing no doubt

Wild are not good. It’s gonna be a long 2 years before the salary cap issues go away. Not to mention the terrible contacts of Hartman, Mats, and Folgino.

Billy G might have done the right thing in getting rid of Suter and parise, but not sure he will make it through these dark days. Also not sure if Dean makes it through the year.

Wild lead the league in goals allowed. Brutal game tonight.

Gooo Wild!!

They gave up 5 power play goals and 2 short handed goals last night. That’s hard to do but son of a bitch they did it

Not a great year. They are old, look uninspired, have no cap room, limited prospects (outside the goalie) that will be ready next year, have old players (bottom 6 guys) locked up on long term contracts with no move clauses, and a coach that’s only answer is to play “grittier” whatever the hell that means.

I am thinking Dean is out of a job come Christmas if this keeps up. I like would Billy G did with cleaning out the room, but the hand back out terrible contracts.

Oh yeah and the Russian is clearly unhappy or concerned about something else cause he’s been terrible too.

Just tank. This current team is going nowhere. Either the league has figured out
Kap, or he’s hurt, or he wants the hell out of Minny. Whatever it is he’s having a bad year

Either the league has figured out Kap, or he’s hurt, or he wants the hell out of Minny. Whatever it is he’s having a bad year
Yeah, he's had 10 subpar games. That never happens to athletes. Cut him. :rolleyes:

The Wild has fired Head Coach Dean Evason and assistant Coach Bob Woods.

Evason has been the head coach since the 20-21 season.

Woods has been an assistant since the '17-18 season.

so sounds like Darby Hendrickson and the Goalie Coach are still around.

update - John Hynes is the former head coach of the New Jersey Devils and the Nashville Predators. his overall coaching record is 284w - 255L - 63 OT losses,

postseason record is 4 wins - 15 losses.

Can't say I'm surprised. I like Evason. He has a toughness I like. But their special teams play has been subpar since he started and abysmal this season.

The power play relies WAY TOO MUCH on blasting shots from the outside and is quite predictable. Watching the NJ Devils school us on their PP should have been a template for him to follow. Instead, nothing changed.

The PK is also brutal this season. PK is about discipline, hustle, strength and positioning. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what goes wrong there, but clearly it's something.

I don't think the goaltenders are playing especially well, but they are getting peppered with Grade A chances every game. Meanwhile, we can't score a goal to win a high scoring game once in a while, putting even more pressure on those two guys.

I hope this new guy brings a different approach. I still believe there is talent out there.

I as hoping Billy G would go behind the bench for a few games and tear the shit out of his underperforming players.

update - John Hynes is the former head coach of the New Jersey Devils and the Nashville Predators. his overall coaching record is 284w - 255L - 63 OT losses,

I'm not real thrilled about hiring a re-tread for the next coach. I would've preferred a younger guy hungry to make a name for himself. Evason probably needed to go but he didn't crush our salary cap situation nor did he sign aging players to terrible deals.

Rossi has looked very good this year but there isn't much for skaters in our system that could be difference makers. The next 2-3 years could be pretty brutal.

Hynes is definitely not an upgrade. Maybe this is just for this season and search for another one this coming off season. Then again if he’s successful no need to search but I’ll be shocked if that’s the case

I guess he better say that cause his job is tied to those A-Holes.

As they said in animal house. You F’d up. You trusted us.

With new coach, Wild beat Blues 3-1 to end seven-game slide

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- — Joel Eriksson Ek and Frederick Gaudreau scored in the first period and the Minnesota Wild ended a seven-game slide by beating St. Louis 3-1 on Tuesday.

Matt Boldy added an insurance goal late and Filip Gustavsson made 23 saves for his first win in eight starts for Minnesota, playing its first game under coach John Hynes.

A former bench boss with Nashville and New Jersey, Hynes took over Monday after the Wild fired Dean Evason.

Colton Parayko netted the Blues goal.

Jordan Binnington stopped 34 shots for St. Louis, including all 17 he faced in a second period owned by Minnesota. The Blues had just five shots on goal in the period.

Boldy scored on a breakaway with 2:52 left in the third, his first goal in 11 games..

Gotta love the trademark fire the coach bump in the play. If they had played like this the last 7 games the coach would not have been fired.

Gotta love the trademark fire the coach bump in the play. If they had played like this the last 7 games the coach would not have been fired.
They definitely played with some jump. But they also played with some puck luck. Two posts and a crossbar. Still couldn’t score, even with intense pressure and doubling up shots. Another early penalty - at 0:22 of the first. Another careless double minor high stick - Boldy.

That said, 4-4 on PK. 0-1 on PP, but good chances - and not just blast and hope. Great zone exits and entries all night. Good mix of passing and shooting- didn’t get too cute looking for the perfect play. Boldy sealed it with a beautiful breakaway pass from Brodin and a missile to the back of the net.

Wild 5 Nashville 0 with 1:35 left in the 2nd Period

Timberwolves 84 Utah 66 after 3 Quarters.

Top Bottom