All Things 2020 College Basketball Coach Hired/Fired Thread

You sticking by this?

Please list the major conference programs looking for a new coach. It's usually at least a few so this should be easy.
Absolutely. You are providing the excuse for the AD.

Apparently you believe "major" conference programs are morally and ethically superior to "minor" conference programs?

Hiring and firing is happening. Now. Surely, drizzle, you understand that much?

Wyoming chimes in with a hire:

Wyoming is hiring Northern Colorado's Jeff Linder as its next head coach, sources told ESPN.

An official announcement could come as early as Tuesday.

Linder has been the head coach at Northern Colorado for four seasons, winning at least 20 games in each of the last three. The Bears finished 15-5 in the Big Sky each of the last two seasons, winning seven of their final eight games of the season to finish in second place in the league. They finished one game out of first place in both 2019 and 2020.

Go Gophers!!

Shaka Smart, Danny Manning and Josh Pastner say hi. Among others.
Have any of them been fired yet? This year is going to be slow for coaching moves. Guys like Goodman and Dauster have been saying this since January.

Texas waited a year too long, they could have hired Buzz last year. Of course Smart was not their first choice from the start. Manning is incredibly expensive to buy out. GT believes in Pastner. The best coaches that could be hired for a sure upgrade were hired in the last 3 years. Now with the uncertainty of when people can even relocate or if and when games will be played again. If there is some miraculous flattening of the curve in a month things could change. BC was certain to make a change but Boston shut down early.

Flattening, by definition, means it will take longer to be over.

We're doing it so that we don't have numbers of people needing hospitalization that are several times the capacity of our hospitals, at once.
Understood.

Absolutely. You are providing the excuse for the AD.

Apparently you believe "major" conference programs are morally and ethically superior to "minor" conference programs?

Hiring and firing is happening. Now. Surely, drizzle, you understand that much?
I said nothing about morals or ethics. Not even sure what that has to do with this discussion.

You stated this was a normal hiring/firing cycle. I believe it is not. I provided the fact that zero major conference teams have fired their coach after this season as evidence to support my argument. You said it is normal because a few of the 350+ programs have fired their coaches.

Others can decide for themselves, but it seems pretty clear to me.

Have any of them been fired yet? This year is going to be slow for coaching moves. Guys like Goodman and Dauster have been saying this since January.
No. And I don't think they will be. Firing them now, and paying buyouts would look terrible. If Coyle was going to move on and nixed it because of this, that sucks. But he's not alone.

Former Gopher staffer gets a HC shot, per Sid:

• Steve Goodson, who served as the special assistant to Tubby Smith for six seasons when Smith was coach with the Gophers, has been named the basketball coach at Rhodes College in Memphis.

Go Gophers!!

per CBS:

After a four-year stint coaching at his alma mater, Ranger College, Billy Gillispie is jumping up a level and taking over Division II Tarleton State, the school announced on Monday. Gillispie previously served as head coach at UTEP, Texas A&M, Kentucky and Texas Tech before his most recent stint at Ranger College.

The school is planning to hold a virtual press conference on Tuesday to formally introduce Gillispie.

"Coach Gillispie has shown to truly be genuine in the way he cares about helping student-athletes achieve great success both on and off the court," said Tarleton State president Dr. James Hurley. "After a national search and an extensive interview process, we are confident that Coach Gillispie's experience and commitment to Tarleton and our community make him the right person to build on the storied success of Texan basketball."

Go Gophers!!

per CBS:

After a four-year stint coaching at his alma mater, Ranger College, Billy Gillispie is jumping up a level and taking over Division II Tarleton State, the school announced on Monday. Gillispie previously served as head coach at UTEP, Texas A&M, Kentucky and Texas Tech before his most recent stint at Ranger College.

The school is planning to hold a virtual press conference on Tuesday to formally introduce Gillispie.

"Coach Gillispie has shown to truly be genuine in the way he cares about helping student-athletes achieve great success both on and off the court," said Tarleton State president Dr. James Hurley. "After a national search and an extensive interview process, we are confident that Coach Gillispie's experience and commitment to Tarleton and our community make him the right person to build on the storied success of Texan basketball."

Go Gophers!!

Absolutely mind blowing to me that he can get a job coaching college athletes still. I hope he's gotten better with how he treats people and it's a good redemption story, but he used to be one of the most terrible human beings in CBB.

Absolutely mind blowing to me that he can get a job coaching college athletes still. I hope he's gotten better with how he treats people and it's a good redemption story, but he used to be one of the most terrible human beings in CBB.
Agree but schools let back in Bruce Pearl, kids love him !

UWGB FIRES DARNER.

Seems like a strange move from UWGB? Darner did a nice job I thought from afar. Also odd considering the financial shape programs like that are likely to already be in given COVID uncertainty.

huh more and more

You keep chirping this, but have you looked at the amount of firings compared to other years? its less and ADs and plenty others have mentioned it. Were you willing to contribute major dollars in a buy out? I respect your wanting a change as I am ready for something different too, but it's not feasible this year to pay a large buy out at the U as well as add a new contract with increased salary.

You keep chirping this, but have you looked at the amount of firings compared to other years? its less and ADs and plenty others have mentioned it. Were you willing to contribute major dollars in a buy out? I respect your wanting a change as I am ready for something different too, but it's not feasible this year to pay a large buy out at the U as well as add a new contract with increased salary.
I am not chirping, 1984. I am stating the facts. After you and others made statements that have been proven incorrect.

BTW - next year and the year after are likely to be no better. College athletics could be in major trouble moving forward. So, this year, imo, will prove to be the least costly option in the long run. Just imo.

Maybe at the smaller levels, which I understand is too bad as they give lots of opportunities for kids to keep playing after high school. But at the major levels, that I mostly follow, college athletics is going to be just fine.

I am not chirping, 1984. I am stating the facts. After you and others made statements that have been proven incorrect.

BTW - next year and the year after are likely to be no better. College athletics could be in major trouble moving forward. So, this year, imo, will prove to be the least costly option in the long run. Just imo.

None of my statements have been incorrect. I said this would be a slow year on the coaching carousal and it has. It was going to be before covid. Pitino wasn't going to get canned this year it's becoming quite obvious because there was not enough support and money to do so.

You do bring up an interesting point on the next couple years of having athletic departments being even more financially strapped. It will be probably a fair over-correction. Fact is athletic departments who are financially strapped now will also have reasons to not give ridiculous buy outs unless they are committed.

To me, athletics at a college is a money-loser unless you're at the top of the food chain. You're either not making much money period, or what you're making, you're just turning around and spending on things you need to stay competitive (more/better coaches, more/better facilities, etc.)

So to me, that's a "nice to have" at a college, not a necessity. Just like having a nice rec center is a "nice to have". Having a nice student union is a "nice to have". Nice buildings with nice classrooms/labs/offices/lounges, fast wifi all over campus, nice dorms and food service. Etc. All "nice to have".

Punch line: if that's what students desire, as part of their college experience, then they need to pay for it.

UWGB hires Will Ryan, Bo Ryans son as its new coach. They would not pay the 300,000 plus that it required to get Soderberg.

UWGB hires Will Ryan, Bo Ryans son as its new coach. They would not pay the 300,000 plus that it required to get Soderberg.

Not saying Will is good or bad, but why fire if you're not gonna pony up and pay for who you want. Crazy deal there

Not saying Will is good or bad, but why fire if you're not gonna pony up and pay for who you want. Crazy deal there
Agree and i also have no idea if Will Ryan is good. Saul Phillips sure thinks so but the body of work is not that great. He really knows the game but that is not enough. You have to be a ton of things to win.

Agree and i also have no idea if Will Ryan is good. Saul Phillips sure thinks so but the body of work is not that great. He really knows the game but that is not enough. You have to be a ton of things to win.
What's his connection to Saul Phillips?

Top Bottom