All Things 2020 College Basketball Coach Hired/Fired Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Evansville is first out of the gate:

Walter McCarty has been fired as Evansville's coach after an investigation revealed additional allegations of off-court misconduct, the university announced Tuesday.

Later Tuesday, Evansville announced the hiring of Todd Lickliter as McCarthy's replacement. Lickliter will coach the Purple Aces on Wednesday night against Drake.

McCarty was initially put on administrative leave by the university on Dec. 26, after reports of alleged sexual misconduct and violations of Evansville's Title IX policy.

In a statement announcing the decision, which is effective immediately, the school said it had received additional reports of off-court misconduct with members of the "campus community'' during McCarty's tenure of less than two seasons. It also noted that McCarty had previously participated in a training program about unacceptable behavior.

"While the investigation of potential Title IX violations will continue under University policies, UE has decided that, based on the facts uncovered thus far, it is necessary to terminate Mr. McCarty's employment immediately," the school said in a statement. "There is no place at UE for any behavior by any University employee or student that jeopardizes the safety and security of others."

Go Gophers!!

Evansville is first out of the gate:

Walter McCarty has been fired as Evansville's coach after an investigation revealed additional allegations of off-court misconduct, the university announced Tuesday.

Later Tuesday, Evansville announced the hiring of Todd Lickliter as McCarthy's replacement. Lickliter will coach the Purple Aces on Wednesday night against Drake.

McCarty was initially put on administrative leave by the university on Dec. 26, after reports of alleged sexual misconduct and violations of Evansville's Title IX policy.

In a statement announcing the decision, which is effective immediately, the school said it had received additional reports of off-court misconduct with members of the "campus community'' during McCarty's tenure of less than two seasons. It also noted that McCarty had previously participated in a training program about unacceptable behavior.

"While the investigation of potential Title IX violations will continue under University policies, UE has decided that, based on the facts uncovered thus far, it is necessary to terminate Mr. McCarty's employment immediately," the school said in a statement. "There is no place at UE for any behavior by any University employee or student that jeopardizes the safety and security of others."

Go Gophers!!

This one is sketchy. Lickliter quit because of medical reasons this summer and all of a sudden is back on and given a multi year deal? Not saying McCarty was innocent and shouldn't have been let go by any means, but there seems to be a little more going on here.

Wyoming fired Allen Edwards. I have to think this is the odds on landing spot for Tim Miles, whose enthusiasm I enjoy on BTN.

Wyoming fired Allen Edwards. I have to think this is the odds on landing spot for Tim Miles, whose enthusiasm I enjoy on BTN.
I think Miles would hold out for a different job, but we will see.

Evansville beat #1 Kentucky in Lexington in their second game of the season, only to end up going 0-18 in conference and losing the first game of their conference tournament to finish 9-23.

Tim Cluess resigns after at Iona College due to health

After a 10-year stint that is arguably the best in MAAC men's basketball history, Tim Cluess informed Iona College and his players on Friday that he has resigned as head coach.

Cluess, who missed the entire 2019-20 season with an undisclosed illness, said he will serve the program in an advisory role to focus on making a full recovery.

"I want to sincerely thank the Iona College community and administration for the opportunity to be a part of Gael Nation for the past ten years," Cluess said in a statement released by the college. "I appreciate the concern and care that the Iona Community, in particular Dr. (Seamus) Carey, has demonstrated for me and my family over the past few months as I have been dealing with a complicated health issue that kept me from coaching."

Go Gophers!!

Western Michigan chimes in:

Steve Hawkins out at Western Michigan after 17 seasons as head coach

Western Michigan announced Wednesday that Steve Hawkins will not return, ending his 17-year run as head coach.

"We appreciate all the contributions he and his family have made to our university and the Kalamazoo community," athletic director Kathy Beauregard said in a statement. "Ultimately, I've decided to make a change in the leadership of the men's basketball program. Our search for a new head coach will begin immediately."

Go Gophers!!

Wyoming chimes in:

Wyoming has parted ways with coach Allen Edwards, the school announced Monday.

Edwards was in charge of the Cowboys for four seasons after spending five seasons as an assistant coach in Laramie.

"I appreciate the contributions that Coach Edwards has made to Wyoming Basketball as a head coach and prior to that as an assistant coach, but after the lack of success the past two seasons I believe it is in the best interest of our program to make a change at this time," athletic director Tom Burman said. "We were all very proud of the performance by the Cowboys at last week's Mountain West Tournament, and I wanted to take some time to consider the future of our program after the emotion of last week. After considering all factors, we have not seen the type of on-court success we expect at Wyoming. We have a rich basketball tradition, and we need to return Cowboy Basketball to a prominent position in the Mountain West Conference."

Go Gophers!!

So much for everything coming to a halt because of the virus. We should know something in a few days one would think. Maybe less.

UNC Wilmington chimes in with a hire:

Go Gophers!!

Coaches being hired and fired this week??????

Ad's have a lot more pressing issues...…..

A fair # of moves, but the biggest job to open so far is....Wyoming.

I know a guy he could hire as an assistant. Has P6 experience!

But seriously, how incredible would it be if Richard Pitino resigned??

I know a guy he could hire as an assistant. Has P6 experience!

But seriously, how incredible would it be if Richard Pitino resigned??
He won't resign, but if a team like Wyoming came to him, would he pull an Ed DeChellis and take the job? He left Penn State for Navy a year before he would have been fired. He's still there.

Rich Pitino doesn't strike me as a mountain man/rancher in Wyoming type of guy. But your point completely makes sense.

I bet Isaiah Washington is thrilled with this move...

Well, father, unlike son, has some serious pelts on the wall, like national championships, a Hall of Fame ring, and a history of churning players into the NBA (not that IW is that caliber of player). And strippers. Can’t imagine why any player wouldn’t be thrilled to play for a coach like that.

Well, father, unlike son, has some serious pelts on the wall, like national championships, a Hall of Fame ring, and a history of churning players into the NBA (not that IW is that caliber of player). And strippers. Can’t imagine why any player wouldn’t be thrilled to play for a coach like that.
Maybe because Rick was vocal about his concerns regarding Washington's skills preseason?

Former Kentucky star Scott Padgett reportedly out as head coach at Samford

Former University of Kentucky basketball standout Scott Padgett will not return as head coach at Samford University, according to multiple media reports Monday.

The school and Padgett reportedly parted ways after his team went 10-23 in 2019-20 and finished eighth in the 10-team Southern Conference. The Bulldogs lost 15 of their last 17 games after an 8-8 start.

Padgett coached the Birmingham, Alabama-based school for six seasons, compiling an overall record of 84-115. His best season was 2016-17 when the Bulldogs went 20-16. His only other winning season was 2018-19, when Samford finished 17-16.

Go Gophers!!

Grand Canyon chimes in with a hire:

Bryce Drew is leaving the broadcast table and returning to the sidelines. Grand Canyon University announced Drew as its new men's basketball coach on Tuesday, just a year after Vanderbilt fired Drew following his three-year tenure with the Commodores in the SEC.

Drew led Valparaiso to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances in his five seasons as the program's head coach before accepting the Vanderbilt job in 2016. At GCU, he replaces former Phoenix Suns star Dan Majerle, who led the Antelopes to four straight 20-win seasons before going 13-17 this season.

"It already has a reputation for a great passion for basketball," Drew said in a GCU announcement. "I want to come in and win championships. I want to be able to get the school its first berth in the NCAA tournament. We want to recruit and bring on incredible student-athletes that are great representatives of Grand Canyon and the mission."

Go Gophers!!

Grand Canyon chimes in with a hire:

Bryce Drew is leaving the broadcast table and returning to the sidelines. Grand Canyon University announced Drew as its new men's basketball coach on Tuesday, just a year after Vanderbilt fired Drew following his three-year tenure with the Commodores in the SEC.

Drew led Valparaiso to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances in his five seasons as the program's head coach before accepting the Vanderbilt job in 2016. At GCU, he replaces former Phoenix Suns star Dan Majerle, who led the Antelopes to four straight 20-win seasons before going 13-17 this season.

"It already has a reputation for a great passion for basketball," Drew said in a GCU announcement. "I want to come in and win championships. I want to be able to get the school its first berth in the NCAA tournament. We want to recruit and bring on incredible student-athletes that are great representatives of Grand Canyon and the mission."

Go Gophers!!

Bryce is a good fit for Grand Canyon. GCU might have the best student environment in the country.

You sticking by this?

Please list the major conference programs looking for a new coach. It's usually at least a few so this should be easy.
Shaka Smart, Danny Manning and Josh Pastner say hi. Among others.

Top Bottom