All Things 2020-2021 College Basketball Coach Hire/Fire Thread

Indiana State hires Josh Schertz. With that kind of record (.833 winning percentage from 2008-21) you'd think he could have landed a Div 1 job a long time ago, and a better one at that. Shows you what it takes to move up to Div 1.

Raise your hand if you were unaware that Iowa State went 2-22 this year.
I knew they were having a terrible season but I didn't look at their results until now. Their only two wins were against Jackson State and Arkansas Pine Bluff. They lost to 15-14 Mississippi State by 39. They had three top 100 recruits on their roster.

Get nervous.

That would be an easy coaching switch. He wouldn't even have to move his house. He could just rent an apartment in Salt Lake and stay there during the heavy work days.

I'm not too nervous since they announced the BC hire. I figure that gives us at least a better chance with Gates.

That would be an easy coaching switch. He wouldn't even have to move his house. He could just rent an apartment in Salt Lake and stay there during the heavy work days.

I'm not too nervous since they announced the BC hire. I figure that gives us at least a better chance with Gates.
It's a good cultural fit for Smith. Salt Lake City is one of the most underrated places in the country.

That and the Pac 12 is well below the B1G right now. If he gets offered both jobs, I predict we win that.

Iowa State already hired UNLV coach. Bad look IMO for a well rounded search.

Raise your hand if you were unaware that Iowa State went 2-22 this year. Also holy shit Jalen Coleman-Lands was still playing college basketball apparently. He was part of John Groce's 2015 recruiting class at Illinois, was on the DePaul team that beat the Gophers in non-conference last year, and apparently was a 6th year senior with Iowa State this season.
My friend is an ISU fan in Des Moines and I pointed out they had a 17 game losing streak a couple weeks back, which was like 5 games longer than the next closest team in the nation. Ouch.

Iowa State already hired UNLV coach. Bad look IMO for a well rounded search.
I was about to say they didn't... Then I went on Google and found this.

TJ is so overrated. Mike Daum and David Jenkins carried him at south dakota state. Scott Nagy was a lot better in my opinion. Sdsu still missed tourney one year losing first game in summit with that loaded team and TJ at the helm

It's a good cultural fit for Smith. Salt Lake City is one of the most underrated places in the country.

I only visited once but I thought it was great. I also spent a night in Ogden and the drive from SLC to Ogden had some of the most striking scenery I've seen in my life. At the time, SLC surprised me with how relatively liberal it was. They had a bar there called the "Tavernacle" which made me chuckle for being gutsy and borderline blasphemous.

I only visited once but I thought it was great. I also spent a night in Ogden and the drive from SLC to Ogden had some of the most striking scenery I've seen in my life. At the time, SLC surprised me with how relatively liberal it was. They had a bar there called the "Tavernacle" which made me chuckle for being gutsy and borderline blasphemous.
Did you make it to the Red Iguana? Really good southwestern food.

What I loved is that, even in the middle of summer when the weather was hot in the city, you could drive an hour up into the higher elevations for a break from the heat and some beautiful hiking.

We asked our hosts about rain and snow, and they told us nothing lasts long because of the dry air. It's a "dry rain," they called it. Sure enough, there was a cloudburst later that day, and it evaporated literally within minutes.

Did you make it to the Red Iguana? Really good southwestern food.

What I loved is that, even in the middle of summer when the weather was hot in the city, you could drive an hour up into the higher elevations for a break from the heat and some beautiful hiking.

We asked our hosts about rain and snow, and they told us nothing lasts long because of the dry air. It's a "dry rain," they called it. Sure enough, there was a cloudburst later that day, and it evaporated literally within minutes.

I don't think I went there. I did go to a punk rock bar. I was exiting my teens when the punk rock movement broke in the 70s and the difference between 70s punkers and early 21st century Utah punkers was striking. These kids may have looked like punks but they had the demeanor of young people you might meet at a college sponsored volunteer social service activity.

Speaking of the higher elevations, I did drive my car up the hill where the U of Utah is located. It was unnerving as my ears popped and it took a little time to get back to normal.

Been a rough time in the tournament and a rough time in the hiring cycle for B1G teams...

Top Bottom