All Things 2016 Gophers Fall Camp Thread - Tweets, Video and More

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Shannon who?

Oooh, more RBs. Me likey.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

At least we know no one has ever pimped a player during camp that didn't turn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He could not walk over to the team huddle at the end of the scrimmage and it took him a long time to walk off the field. Hope he's ok.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I went to the morning open practice. I took my kid so mostly we were talking rather than making any serious observations, not that I could even do that.

Hank Ekpe stopped and talked to my 6 year old for a bit, 6 year old looked semi scared but he was thrilled. After that much pokemon hunting occurred.

QB will be a three person race next spring. My money is on Green or Williams.

Players were very friendly in the afternoon as well, at the conclusion

I went to the morning open practice. I took my kid so mostly we were talking rather than making any serious observations, not that I could even do that.

Hank Ekpe stopped and talked to my 6 year old for a bit, 6 year old looked semi scared but he was thrilled. After that much pokemon hunting occurred.

Saturday Scrimmage 45 minutes long…10,000 foot view

I mostly watched the quarterbacks…

Mitch has changed his throwing motion to an exaggerated over the top delivery.
It would be impossible to throw any more ovehand than he is presently doing.
Seemed accurate. Moved the ball some…didn’t do anything horrible.

Demry Croft was number 2 in the QB rotation. Croft has the smoothest most fluid
effortless, graceful delivery of the quarterbacks by far imo. He flicked a pass 45 yards.
Croft is accurate in his throws. Looks comfortable in the pocket, moves well,
and able to take off running effectively.

Rhoda was third in the rotation. He had the prettiest pass of the day. Rhoda threw a forty yard touchdown pass to Holland that Elway, Brady, Manning or anyone would have been proud of.
Very pretty! Dropped it right in the pretty well covered receivers hands (Holland) at the goal line.

Rotation back to Mitch, Croft, Rhoda and then Green got an opportunity. Green gets results, moves the chains. He is not a picture book passer. But threw two big gainers through the air to Adam Mayer. The second resulted in a touchdown. Moved the team in another opportunity as well.

Mark Williams was next in the rotation. Williams throws in a direction and hopes that’s where it goes…receivers need a very large catch radius. However, he has lightning quick feet…he can vanish in an instant. Hopefully he obtains some accuracy! He can be very dangerous with some development!. He had very limited pass protection.

Running backs… Smith or Brooks did not play. Kobe McCrary looked very good as the number one guy. Ripped off quite a few big gainers. Kobe was the star of the day for me. James Johannesson was very impressive and effective to me…just a notch below Kobe.

Random…plays signaled in by hand, took a loooong time. Michael Conway looks impressive in the uniform. Andrew Stelter is a big man! Pirsig certainly is too.

Disagree with Joe from 500 feet..Carter Coughlin looks weeks versus days to me but no
clue…he couldn’t walk on it…it hurt…he grimaced a lot and looked worried to me.

Impressed by the potential of Croft… tough to redshirt him depending, I’d think…he clearly appears the number two guy to me. I feel a little better about our backup quarterbacks after today.

Great post 60s. Thanks.

I went to the morning open practice. I took my kid so mostly we were talking rather than making any serious observations, not that I could even do that. Hank Ekpe stopped and talked to my 6 year old for a bit, 6 year old looked semi scared but he was thrilled. After that much pokemon hunting occurred.

I went too and Hank Ekpe talked to my three year old. Super nice kid. Coach hollered at him for talking to my kid too long as they were moving to pass rush drills.

per Joe:

Shannon Brooks entered TCF Bank Stadium on crutches for Saturday’s Gophers scrimmage, a broken bone in his right foot repaired with a screw. As reported earlier in the week, the team’s leading rusher will miss three to five weeks.

But on a day they rested their other top running back, Rodney Smith, the Gophers unveiled yet another effective replacement.

Kobe McCrary, a transfer from Butler (Kan.) Community College, ran downhill through big holes created by the first-team offensive line, reeling off carries of 9, 17, 8 and 11 yards just on the first drive.

He finished with 14 carries for 89 yards, highlighting a strong performance for the whole offense.

“I was pleased with the way the first group in the O-line blocked, and I thought the quarterbacks made some good decisions, and for the most part we caught the ball,” Gophers coach Tracy Claeys said. “So the little fundamental things that we really didn’t do in the spring game on offense — I thought we were able to get those done.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-take-a-long-look-at-no-3-running-back-kobe-mccrary/390099761/

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

One week into training camp, Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner is very pleased with his surgically repaired left foot. He had extensive ligament damage heading into surgery last December, but has fully recovered and said he doesn't even think about it when he's playing.

He acknowledged that the team's first practice on Aug. 7 was different for his foot than the summer workouts.

"I knew that after that one day that it was going to start getting better each day," he said Saturday. "And then the second day, I came out here it felt unbelievable, and I’ve felt great since.

“I’ve been really happy with where my foot’s been this camp. I didn’t even make it this far into camp last year without it just killing me already. To be able to throw on the run with no pain, and to be able to just flat-out run in general has been really great so far. I’ve just got to keep hoping it holds up here.”

http://www.startribune.com/mitch-le...tter-with-surgically-repaired-foot/390080111/

Go Gophers!!

When the O was moving the ball well today, do we know was it against the first team D?

Joe said the srarting linebackers and some of the backups rested, so no. That said , if we can open holes and not get pushed into the backfield (watched OSU first quarter last night) that is a positive.

I will say Croft or Williams, based on practice reports and my own opinions. Check back in 13 months.

We tend to write off Croft because he was a deer in headlights last year. From what I have heard, Croft is our second best QB and the leader to get the nod next year. He has the tools. I am optimistic on his upside.

Has Ace Rodgers been practicing or is he still recovering from the knee injury?

Burns says Rogers doesn't quite look 100% still, so he's playing with the 3rd string and it appears the goal is to bring him along slowly so that he'll be at full strength the second half of the season. Explains why they brought in the grad-transfer at Safety.

I wonder how long it will take Donnell Greene to get up to speed and be a contributor?

Don't set your expectations too high with Greene. He was not highly sought after and is a project, who in a perfect world, would never see any live action this year. That said, our lack of depth on the OL and a rash of injuries will force Greene into the action whether he's ready or not. He will be live, practicing in full pads for the first time on Monday.

Yes, but a 1st team defense featuring Stelter & Scott Ekpe at DT, rather than Richardson & Merrick Jackson.

Thanks CRG and PE for the replys. The players have been high on the O line in interviews, but I think they are still a work in progress, probably still be a weak spot this year. Really need to stay healthy, but the fact they are already limiting reps on one of the first teamers is scary. Wasn't that the case with Bjorkland last year also?

We tend to write off Croft because he was a deer in headlights last year. From what I have heard, Croft is our second best QB and the leader to get the nod next year. He has the tools. I am optimistic on his upside.

I certainly am not writing him off. Frankly, I hope all 3 turn out to be great quarterbacks. It would be a nice problem to have.

My perception may be skewed by the bits of playing time I've seen from Croft (including last Friday) in games and practice, but he just doesn't jump out at me as either a great thrower or great runner. The other thing with him is he is SOOOO skinny. I don't know how well he would hold up in a Big Ten season.

On his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said some standouts from Week 1:

Tyler Johnson "continues to make plays"
Brian Smith "remember the name, he's having a very good camp"
Kobe McCrary "he will play"
Demarius Travis "having a great week of training camp"
Kamal Martin "maybe a redshirt this year but I had a coach tell me Kamal's future is so 'bleeping' bright"

The Detroit Lions had a scout at practice this past week.

http://www.1500espn.com/podcast-center/

Go Gophers!!

Brian Smith "remember the name, he's having a very good camp"....?

He's never played a snap of college football? He's going to beat out the veteran WRs and Tyler Johnson?

I went too and Hank Ekpe talked to my three year old. Super nice kid. Coach hollered at him for talking to my kid too long as they were moving to pass rush drills.

I'm guessing Hank is the designated kid whisperer. Nice guy. Big man.

He's never played a snap of college football? He's going to beat out the veteran WRs and Tyler Johnson?

He's been very close to PT the last 2 years. Has always looked good in practices that I've seen. Not a suprise at all, great size and good athlete. Not hard to imagine he's worked hard on the little things and it's paying off.

Our receivers are not world beaters, so very possible. Every year on every CFB team there are players who come out of nowhere to be solid contributors.

He has impressed me at EVERY single practice I have attended the last 2 years and I've been waiting for him to get a few snaps. When it happens I think he will surprise.

He has impressed me at EVERY single practice I have attended the last 2 years and I've been waiting for him to get a few snaps. When it happens I think he will surprise.

I agree. I've been impressed with Smith every time I have seen him practice. It's also a pretty common thing for a player to emerge as an upper classmen.

Neither AJ Barker or David Cobb did anything until their JR seasons.

Yes, but a 1st team defense featuring Stelter & Scott Ekpe at DT, rather than Richardson & Merrick Jackson.

Ekpe was a starter 2 years ago, not like he's some slouch. Stelter also has earned rave reviews in camp so far. Not saying Richardson and Merrick might not be better, but it's not like the DT lineup we used against Wisconsin or something. Good players.

Top Bottom