All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

I don't think they'd actually have to cause in that case, Buckles would be done this year I believe. But if they did stop there, I believe we'd have four scholarships for 2014 available (Austin, Mav, Buckles, plus the banked one). So then you could throw in Black or another one year type guy and it wouldn't affect 2014 either.

Ohhhh yeah I forgot about the fact that they are only here for one year.

If we signed Buckles and he were eligible I think he'd be one and done?

I know Black is. Any of those guys are essentially us banking scholarships.

Yea. He only has one year of eligibility left. Upshot is that he may be able to start this season (I think due to injuries last year) if he transfers from FIU. Kind of a perfect low-risk PF take.

Sounds like McNeil will be coming to Minnesota.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

After seeing some highlights of McNeil would he be considered more of an off guard?

In other film I watched he's definitely a PG. Don't expect him to put it up from 3, but of all recruits previously mentioned, this is the one I wanted.

would like to get rector

yet as well, rector and mcneil played each other and have highlights on youtube, rector looks like more of a pure PG and mcneil might be a nice compliment.

Combo Guard. Definitely not a PG only.

He will play PG. If we need to play a SG who can't shoot we already have Coleman.

Then he'll be playing out of position. Almost everything I've read says he's a SG or a combo guard. ESPN is the only site that lists him as a PG.

Then he'll be playing out of position. Almost everything I've read says he's a SG or a combo guard. ESPN is the only site that lists him as a PG.

No need for good fans to argue, we'll find out soon enough. My thought was Coach P. with his first pick-up would bring in something we don't have which IMO is a back-up B1G PG. I liked what Dre did when moved to the 2. Either way I really like the kid.

Yep. Wouldn't say the PG door is closed for him, but McNeil is more of a scoring guard you give the ball to and then he goes to work.

Jesperson possible? i know Tubby showed interest...

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Virginia coach Tony Bennett says sophomore guard Paul Jesperson is leaving the Cavaliers' program.

The 6-foot-6 Jesperson started 33 of 35 games this season. He averaged 4.7 points and 2.2 rebounds. He scored a career-best 12 points in an 80-69 victory at Maryland on Feb. 10, but shot just 36.1 percent from the field overall. He made 40 of 108 3-point tries, or 37 percent.

Bennett says Jesperson, of Merrill, Wis., intends to transfer to another school and continue his basketball career.

He's the fifth player to transfer since Bennett arrived in 2009.

I would like to see them pursue Jesperson. He's a good shooter with good size. We certainly could do worse.

I remember I was disappointed that he didn't choose the gophers. Not sure how he would fit in with Pitino's system.

Jesperson possible? i know Tubby showed interest...

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Virginia coach Tony Bennett says sophomore guard Paul Jesperson is leaving the Cavaliers' program.

The 6-foot-6 Jesperson started 33 of 35 games this season. He averaged 4.7 points and 2.2 rebounds. He scored a career-best 12 points in an 80-69 victory at Maryland on Feb. 10, but shot just 36.1 percent from the field overall. He made 40 of 108 3-point tries, or 37 percent.

Bennett says Jesperson, of Merrill, Wis., intends to transfer to another school and continue his basketball career.

He's the fifth player to transfer since Bennett arrived in 2009.

I remember him being a sharp shooter. Looks like he had an off year.

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 13m

Former Florida International commit Daquein McNeil - a 2013 PG from Vermont Academy - has committed to Minnesota, his coach tells me.

@gabedearmond: Confrimed by @btaustin that #Mizzou has gotten a commitment from former Rutgers pledge Shane Rector during Rector's official visit.

Go Gophers!!

Anyone know why Mizzou is showing interest in all these spring recruits? They got a commitment from Rector and have been involved with Ellis.

stolen from UWOles post on the Badgers forum "One 2015 forward who did not struggle today was Henry Ellenson. I saw him play for the second time this weekend and continue to be very impressed. Bo, John Thompson III and assistants from Marquette and Minnesota were also there. I think Bo and Minnesota’s Ben Johnson have been at each of Henry’s games this weekend. Henry had 19 and 10 in another easy win this afternoon, with a couple of those buckets coming off some great ball-handling in transition. Like Stone, Ellenson looks to be in great shape and slimmer than the last time I saw him. He is still very big and very skilled and an excellent prospect.len from a UWOle post on the Badgers board"

Friday night at Hopkins was a coach watchers dream-- lots of big names. Ben Johnson seemed to stand between a couple of courts so it was hard to know exactly who he was watching but it was good to see a Gopher coach there. Tubby was there too, wearing Texas Tech red. Vince Taylor was up in St Cloud last week wearing Gopher gear still but not sporting any logo on Friday in Hopkins. Would have been a good networking opportunity for him with all the coaches there.

Diamond was hitting treys, taking his defender on a spin move and finishing with a big throw down... scary good. Some of his comp was a bit on the small side, but he's a special player.

PS - Gophers & others high on 2014 G Brandone Francis.

Hey GW, as this is recruiting thread I've got a question...what do "we" think about '15 pg Nicholas Noskowiak from Sun Prairie? I know the Golden Eagles just offered. Have you seen him play? Thanks in advance.

Hey GW, as this is recruiting thread I've got a question...what do "we" think about '15 pg Nicholas Noskowiak from Sun Prairie? I know the Golden Eagles just offered. Have you seen him play? Thanks in advance.

Have watched him, but not a lot. Smart combo guard - can shoot, but also good IQ for point. Certainly one to keep an eye on. Old Gophers regime had been tracking him for awhile...

The interest is really picking up for him (high major+)... don't know what Pitino's level of interest in NN is, but I like Minnesota's chances with almost every recruit better today than I did a month ago.

Personally I need to see him a bit more and see how he progresses this summer. Will check him out in Vegas if not a couple of times before.

Noskowiak

Noskowiak does not have the shot, handles, or athleticism to play high DI ball IMO. I've seen him play numerous times and my first and last impression was that he was a ball hog. Fuller actually did not get the ball ENOUGH on that team, largely due to selfish play of said person.

Cameron Forte just committed to UGa.

https://twitter.com/Smoothiewhatup
Don't know how interested Pitino really was in him but I'm glad he decided to go a different way. I would rather bank the extra scholarships for next years class. I would prefer if Pitino just tries to add Buckles(only if he can play right away), Black, and then Ellis to this years class and really the 2 big targets would be to land one of Black or Buckles assuming both are able to play right away and I just think Ellis could be a real nice piece. Another player to look at that is transferring and could play right away would be a point guard from Memphis Antonio Barton although it does sound like he may look towards playing close to his hometown of Baltimore.

Another tweet. They apparently visited with him in Arizona.

Top Bottom