All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

Highly, HIGHLY doubt Jake White is headed to Minnesota. I present this: http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=207189861&DB_OEM_ID=7500

White is looking for a situation where he is more of a "focal point" and wants to be a guy "taking the shots". Wichita State is helping him find a school...he's not transferring from a MVC school to a B1G school to accomplish those goals. Someplace like Wisconsin Green Bay or Furman would seem to fit the bill of what White is looking for.

Jake White = scrub. Usually players don't transfer from an F4 team, but he seemed like the 10th or 11th man. Wichita St won't miss him.

Pitino wants Forte(locked story)

by Ryan James

This winter Cameron Forte averaged 22.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, and 2.6 assists a game playing for Howard College. Now he is looking for a school to play for and Minnesota is one ...
http://minnesota.rivals.com/

@RyanBurnsGI: After talking with Connecticut PG and former Rutgers commit Shane Rector this morning, Minnesota is definitely in the picture.

@RyanBurnsGI: Rector is considering Minnesota, Missouri (where he's visiting this weekend) Butler, Texas A&M and Virginia Tech. All have offered.

@RyanBurnsGI: Rector and his father talked with Minnesota assistant coach @CoachKimani on Sunday and the #Gophers offered then.

Jesperson possible? i know Tubby showed interest...

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Virginia coach Tony Bennett says sophomore guard Paul Jesperson is leaving the Cavaliers' program.

The 6-foot-6 Jesperson started 33 of 35 games this season. He averaged 4.7 points and 2.2 rebounds. He scored a career-best 12 points in an 80-69 victory at Maryland on Feb. 10, but shot just 36.1 percent from the field overall. He made 40 of 108 3-point tries, or 37 percent.

Bennett says Jesperson, of Merrill, Wis., intends to transfer to another school and continue his basketball career.

He's the fifth player to transfer since Bennett arrived in 2009.

@RyanBurnsGI: After talking with Connecticut PG and former Rutgers commit Shane Rector this morning, Minnesota is definitely in the picture.

@RyanBurnsGI: Rector is considering Minnesota, Missouri (where he's visiting this weekend) Butler, Texas A&M and Virginia Tech. All have offered.

@RyanBurnsGI: Rector and his father talked with Minnesota assistant coach @CoachKimani on Sunday and the #Gophers offered then.

Good to hear that Pitino is going after a PG for this next season.

Jesperson possible? i know Tubby showed interest...

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Virginia coach Tony Bennett says sophomore guard Paul Jesperson is leaving the Cavaliers' program.

The 6-foot-6 Jesperson started 33 of 35 games this season. He averaged 4.7 points and 2.2 rebounds. He scored a career-best 12 points in an 80-69 victory at Maryland on Feb. 10, but shot just 36.1 percent from the field overall. He made 40 of 108 3-point tries, or 37 percent.

Bennett says Jesperson, of Merrill, Wis., intends to transfer to another school and continue his basketball career.

He's the fifth player to transfer since Bennett arrived in 2009.

I don't think his speed and quickness or lack thereof is what Pitino has in mind when recruiting. Good kid, good family, nice player, but probably not a good fit.

It certainly sounds as if we will be adding a point guard next year one way or the another.

Darren Wolfson‏@DarrenWolfson8m
G Daequan McNeil has requested a release from FIU. Someone close to him: "If I am a Minnesota fan, I like my chances (he comes)." #gophers

Adding a point guard AND a backup point guard allows both Dre and Mav to operate off the ball, which is good all around. Mav can shoot.

Adding a point guard AND a backup point guard allows both Dre and Mav to operate off the ball, which is good all around. Mav can shoot.

I think Dre is really going to flourish under Pitino. I see him in a Bradley Beal role for us. Basically the only time he should shoot is when he gets the ball.

I think Dre is really going to flourish under Pitino. I see him in a Bradley Beal role for us. Basically the only time he should shoot is when he gets the ball.

What do you mean?

After seeing some highlights of McNeil would he be considered more of an off guard?

McNeil - guard who has had to play bigger / rebound for some of his teams.

Up and down guy that can score, but his shot is lacking. Not a great shooter.

Had early interest from a lot of good schools but that fell off. Partly due to grades? Sounds like he's got things in order now.. the switch to Vermont Prep from being in Baltimore has helped in that regard. Not sure if they are still a concern for some, though.

When he committed I think he had a handful of mid major offers, but not sure there were any bigger programs still on him.

What do you mean?

It was actually the quote Mike Dantoni used for Jodie Meeks.

Essentially, you have the greenest light possible. You should shoot every time you have the ball basically. Just borrowed Dantoni's quote.

Go Gophers!!

Ballas TV has nothing on Ballers Swag Elite haha

So hard to tell from highlight clips, but I mean, he has a skill set that looks like it can fit in. We need more guys comfortable with the ball in their hands, and it would seem he'd fit the bill. If we're going to try to play faster, you gotta have more guys who are solid with the ball in their hands.

If we add McNeil, which I would really like, and possibly Rector and Buckles, would we stop there and bank the last one?

If we add McNeil, which I would really like, and possibly Rector and Buckles, would we stop there and bank the last one?

If we signed Buckles and he were eligible I think he'd be one and done?

I know Black is. Any of those guys are essentially us banking scholarships.

I don't think they'd actually have to cause in that case, Buckles would be done this year I believe. But if they did stop there, I believe we'd have four scholarships for 2014 available (Austin, Mav, Buckles, plus the banked one). So then you could throw in Black or another one year type guy and it wouldn't affect 2014 either.

Top Bottom