All Things 2012 Gophers in the NFL Thread

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
With training camps ramping up, it's time to follow some of our favorite Gophers in the NFL this year.

Eric Lair injured his knee in camp earlier this week and it's looking like he'll miss time: http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2012/07/30/packers-sign-te-cosby/

Hopefully he doesn't end up getting cut as a result but I'd say it's pretty likely. Unfortunate.

Duane Bennett is also on the Packers roster but reports are that he's well behind Starks, Green and Saine at this point. We'll have to see if he makes it through the preseason.

Decker is apparently shining with Peyton in Denver after putting in extra offseason work: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_21181611/eric-decker-bests-champ-bailey-broncos-first-day

In the first day in full pads, it was still a skill position player who put on a show. Wide receiver Eric Decker showed that the extra work he did with quarterback Peyton Manning in the offseason is paying off, with two of the best plays of the day. In one-on-one drills, Decker got a step on star corner Champ Bailey, and bobbled a deep pass from Manning before making a diving catch. Later, in team drills, Decker caught another deep pass from Manning, this one on the right sideline. He was pushed out of bounds after a long gain. "I think we did some good things and we need to build off that yet," Decker said. "Keep going, one day at a time."

Any other news or notes about Gophers in the NFL can go into this thread.

I believe Traye Simmons is still with San Diego.

Gary Russell is with the Raiders

John Hoese is with the Packers

Is Anthony Jacobs still with the Vikes?

I believe Dominique Barber is still with the Texans.

Neither Simmons nor Barber are with the Chargers or Texans, respectively. I don't know if either has received a camp invite anywhere. Anthony Jacobs is at Vikings camp.

Unfortunately you can count the number of Gophers in the NFL on one hand.

Adam Weber threw a TD tonight in the Broncos win over the Bears. He completed 2/5 for 42 yards and the TD. Decker 2 Receptions for 29 yards in the same game, seems to be recovered from his injury.

Adam Weber threw a TD tonight in the Broncos win over the Bears. He completed 2/5 for 42 yards and the TD. Decker 2 Receptions for 29 yards in the same game, seems to be recovered from his injury.

Did he bounce pass the three passes that were incomplete? That is for those of you that want to start another Adam Weber discussion and but were just looking for an excuse.

I was hoping Du'ane Bennett would see some carries in last night's Packers-Chargers game but I didn't see him on the field.

I was hoping Du'ane Bennett would see some carries in last night's Packers-Chargers game but I didn't see him on the field.

Lair,Bennett and Hoese were all hurt for last nights game.

Considering how crappy the other running backs were I think McCarthy should give him a shot.

As a Denverite, I don't see a way Weber can be the #2 QB for the Broncos. I think he has a real shot at #3 if Osweiler proves he is good enough to be #2 so they can dumb Hanie.

Anthony Jacobs just had a sack in the preseason game against the 49ers.

As a Denverite, I don't see a way Weber can be the #2 QB for the Broncos. I think he has a real shot at #3 if Osweiler proves he is good enough to be #2 so they can dumb Hanie.

I dunno, Peyton maybe got used to being backed up by a gopher, Sauter. He might demand it, because it makes him comfortable.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

I dunno, Peyton maybe got used to being backed up by a gopher, Sauter. He might demand it, because it makes him comfortable.

I don't think Sauter was ever his backup, wasn't Brock Huard his backup those years? I don't know.

Maybe Manning wanted to have a former Pac 10 backup named Brock with a Gopher 3rd string.

Personally, I think Osweiler will end up being the #2 in Denver. I think it's hard for someone to get a fair competition when a team uses a 1st or 2nd on a someone else. I am not saying that I think Weber is better than Osweiler, I really have no idea. I just don't think it would make much of a difference, unless Weber was drastically better.

Well, to tell you the truth, I never really followed the Colts that much. I just vaguely remembered that Sauter was on the team.

In my fantasy life, all NFL teams have former gophers as back up QBs. That come in and save the season after the star qb gets hurt in a horrific billiards incident.

gopoers in the nfl

Did he bounce pass the three passes that were incomplete? That is for those of you that want to start another Adam Weber discussion and but were just looking for an excuse.

No bounce passes because he is no longer beat up and injured from the gopher experience. Two passes bounced off the numbers.

Well, to tell you the truth, I never really followed the Colts that much. I just vaguely remembered that Sauter was on the team.

In my fantasy life, all NFL teams have former gophers as back up QBs. That come in and save the season after the star qb gets hurt in a horrific billiards incident.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cory Sauter
Sport(s) Football
Current position
Title Head coach
Team Southwest Minnesota State
Conference NSIC
Record 7–15
Biographical details
Born November 21, 1974 (age 37)
Hutchinson, Minnesota
Alma mater University of Minnesota
Cory Justin Sauter (born November 21, 1974) is an American football coach and former NFL quarterback. He is currently the head coach for the Southwest Minnesota State Mustangs college football team.
Sauter played for University of Minnesota from 1994-97. Sauter finished his career as a four-time Academic All-Big Ten award winner and two-time GTE Academic All-America District V selection. He was a three-year letter winner and started the final 34 games of his collegiate career and played in the Blue-Gray All-Star Football Classic following his senior season. He still holds the all-time career school records with 539 pass completions, 945 pass attempts and 6,834 passing yards. His 40 career touchdown passes and .570 completion percentage also rank second all-time.
Sauter was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Arizona Cardinals in 1998. He spent part of the season on the practice squad. The 1999 and 2000 seasons were spent with the Detroit Lions as the third quarterback. He also spent the spring of 2000 with the Barcelona Dragons in NFL Europe. In 2001 he was on the Indianapolis Colts practice squad. He split the 2002 season as the Colts third quarterback and with the Chicago Bears. He was back with the Colts for the 2003 season.

Eric Lair placed in IR by Packers today.
D.Bennett out with knee injury

Eric Lair placed in IR by Packers today.
D.Bennett out with knee injury
I could be wrong, but I think Lair will get paid, or at least an injury settlement, for being place on the IR. It's an unfortunate situation, but it probably beats being cut outright.

Hopefully he can get healthy and find another camp next year.

Sid: Weber impresses

Former Bears quarterback Jim Miller, who did the color on the Broncos' 31-3 victory over the Bears on Thursday, said one player who stood out in his opinion during the game was former Gophers quarterback Adam Weber.

"Adam Weber was impressive," Miller said. "I like that guy. I liked him coming out of college. I know he doesn't have the prototype quarterback size (6-3, 210 pounds) but he can do some things back there."

Weber was effective for the Broncos. He entered in the fourth quarter and went 2-for-5 for 42 yards with a 25-yard touchdown pass to Cornelius Ingram. His former Gophers teammate, Eric Decker, caught the only two passes thrown his way for 29 yards.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/165933256.html

Go Gophers!!

Sid: Weber impresses

Former Bears quarterback Jim Miller, who did the color on the Broncos' 31-3 victory over the Bears on Thursday, said one player who stood out in his opinion during the game was former Gophers quarterback Adam Weber.

"Adam Weber was impressive," Miller said. "I like that guy. I liked him coming out of college. I know he doesn't have the prototype quarterback size (6-3, 210 pounds) but he can do some things back there."

Weber was effective for the Broncos. He entered in the fourth quarter and went 2-for-5 for 42 yards with a 25-yard touchdown pass to Cornelius Ingram. His former Gophers teammate, Eric Decker, caught the only two passes thrown his way for 29 yards.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/165933256.html

Go Gophers!!

The game has definitely changed, it almost sounds bizarre for a coach to say that a 6'3" 210 lbs QB doesn't have ideal size.

What Aaron Rodgers said about Duane Bennett

Per the Journal Sentinel Online.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/166022266.html#!page=1&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

One interesting thing Rodgers said was that he really thought Bennett, an undrafted rookie from Minnesota, had a chance to play in the NFL this year. He said he was one of those guys who gets a lot of work in camp and improves with each snap.
"I was telling Bennett, he was kind of my dark horse to lead the preseason in rushing," Rodgers said. "We always pick one guy who might play in the fourth quarter and pick up some yards. There have been guys in the past seven years who have put up some numbers.
"I thought he was a guy who could show some stuff late in games and get picked up by us or by another team. You feel bad for a guy like that."

Top Bottom