After Nebraska loss, Will Pitino be Immediately Fired?

Will Coyle pull the Trigger?

• Yes

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 54 77.1%

• Total voters
Just fire him and start the search committee!

You can search for a coach without firing one. Just like Coyle did with Fleck. Had a coach lined up when he fired Claeys. Norwood didn’t do this.

Pitino will coach out the season. The players have not quit on him. They aren't particularly well coached, but they haven't quit on him.

I vote no now, it's simply too late as there is zero chance of salvaging a tourney berth. The problem I see with firing him now is that it just extends the "next coach" speculation. In the Twin Cities market that means that someone will "hear" that the Gophers are striking out on coaches when it's likely/probably they are waiting until someone's season is over to talk and/or announce. This will mean that anyone outside of like 2-3 guys will be viewed as a plan C guy when the Gophers make their hire. Of course, if you already have a guy not currently coaching (ex Beilein) then you could fire Pitino tomorrow.

I was kind of hoping for a Varsity Blues moment tonight and the team comes out of the locker room without Pitino and maybe Gabe or Liam coaches the team in the 2nd half.
Tough act to follow.....Jacking threes and watching one player do everything is hard to coach.

Once it’s open, interested parties agents will contact him.

I vote no now, it's simply too late as there is zero chance of salvaging a tourney berth. The problem I see with firing him now is that it just extends the "next coach" speculation. In the Twin Cities market that means that someone will "hear" that the Gophers are striking out on coaches when it's likely/probably they are waiting until someone's season is over to talk and/or announce. This will mean that anyone outside of like 2-3 guys will be viewed as a plan C guy when the Gophers make their hire. Of course, if you already have a guy not currently coaching (ex Beilein) then you could fire Pitino tomorrow.
Not true! If Gophers could win last 2 games and 2 or 3 in the BTT they would most likely be in.

I'm not sure 3 weeks of "yes he should be fired but we're too poor to afford the buyout" or "Who would want to come here that's better anyway?" talk is better though...

Not true! If Gophers could win last 2 games and 2 or 3 in the BTT they would most likely be in.
Give up the ghost. This team isn't capable of winning 3 games in a row against anyone right now.

I'm not sure 3 weeks of "yes he should be fired but we're too poor to afford the buyout" or "Who would want to come here that's better anyway?" talk is better though...

That talk amazes me. There are so many people willing to comment that have literally no idea about the Gophers or college basketball and claim to be fans. So I guess there will be annoying talk no matter what. You've convinced me. Just fire him now so I don't have to think about the 2% chance he somehow survives another year.

Have you watched the last 2 games... they quit on him
They didn't quit. They just have no inside presence and still struggle with spacing. Look at Carr's effort and Brandon Johnson's effort. Nothing lacking. But, they are not well coached and Pitino has not made adjustments since B1G scouting exposed how to beat his team.

They didn't quit. They just have no inside presence and still struggle with spacing. Look at Carr's effort and Brandon Johnson's effort. Nothing lacking. But, they are not well coached and Pitino has not made adjustments since B1G scouting exposed how to beat his team.
Guys play hard for their teammates and for pride ... guys shooting 3s when told not to is telling their coach to F-off

I mean, Steve Fisher got the Michigan job by going on a March run. If Conroy pulls a repeat by all means, he can have the job.

I agree, they're not going to make a move at this point. I wish they would, because it would remove the constant questions and the team might even play better. But it is what it is.
That was only after Bo(AD) Schembechler got wind of Frieder taking ASU job and was pissed and told Frieder to take a hike, a Michigan man will coach a Michigan team.

It would be great to see Conroy get a few games. It's obvious the guys are not going to play hard for Pitino. He's lost the team. It would be a positive for all involved.
Where do you guys come up with these ideas? Conroy has been there for years...if he offered a contribution other than being a nice guy or Robbins uncle we would have seen evidence he can coach. We have not. Post defense is not our strong point. Feeding the post is not something we do well.

He is already in the first chair. If he had anything at all to offer we’d have seen it.
If he has ideas and can’t convince Richard of them...how will he convince the players?

Where do you guys come up with these ideas? Conroy has been there for years...if he offered a contribution other than being a nice guy or Robbins uncle we would have seen evidence he can coach. We have not. Post defense is not our strong point. Feeding the post is not something we do well.

He is already in the first chair. If he had anything at all to offer we’d have seen it.
If he has ideas and can’t convince Richard of them...how will he convince the players?
Tell that to Steve Fischer. Let Michigan to national championship

You've never seen a team play better for an interim coach after a dead coach walking was shown the door?

Because Richard is the boss and he’s really bad at it ... the players know that as well ... do you really feel he’s helping them win games? This is the same old offense and crap defense. I believe this maybe the 6th time Nebraska scored over 70 in Big Ten play and one of the other times was a 2 OT game.

Nothing has changed and that is on Pitino, not Conroy.

Let's face it, there isn't a real competitive reason to make the move now. This team doesn't play for Pitino and I think that is because they realize that he doesn't really know what he is doing. But also I don't think this team could turn on a dime at this point and start playing crisp disciplined basketball for an interim coach.

The reason you make the move now, if you are Coyle, is to publicly make the point to your fanbase, that you are as fed up with the losing and ugly play and you just aren't going to take it anymore. If you believe there is value in that, and I go back and forth personally, than you do it.

Guys play hard for their teammates and for pride ... guys shooting 3s when told not to is telling their coach to F-off
Shooting 3’s is what we do. Pitino is NOT telling them not to shoot threes. It’s 2021, there is a shot worth 3, we are no better from 2 than we are from 3 and 3 is 3...33% is equal to 50% which we can’t do either. So, we shoot 3’s. Don’t care what he says to the media. He is not telling his players not to shoot threes.
How the heck would we score? We can’t finish at the rim. We have no post game because we can’t enter the ball. Drive and get to the line is cool but we aren’t good at it...we have too many turnovers or bad shots that lead to breakaways. The refs on a given night need to cooperate for that to be effective with our talent.

I don't believe the season is totally lost just yet. It's very close. I think you make the move just in the hope for a jolt. If you don't get it, so be it. I'm just not a huge proponent of this idea to let Richard finish the year just to be honorable. I still think there's a sliver of life here. With the wins on our resume if you can find a way to steal the last 2 and then win 2+ games in the BTT, who knows.

If you don't think there's any life, then I could see just letting Pitino finish.

“Nothing has changed and that is on Pitino, not Conroy.” They do practice. Exactly my point...if Conroy actually knew defense he’d already be teaching it.
Richard does want to win.
Think Gonzaga...Monson head coach... they are good. Few asst coach. Monson leaves. Few stays. Gonzaga gets better. Monson has won no where since.
Conroy has been there long enough that if he could coach we’d have seen it.

“Nothing has changed and that is on Pitino, not Conroy.” They do practice. Exactly my point...if Conroy actually knew defense he’d already be teaching it.
Think Gonzaga...Monson head coach... they are good. Few asst coach. Monson leaves. Few stays. Gonzaga gets better. Monson has won no where since.
Pitino is the head coach and has the final say on all things personnel and scheme related. I would think Conroy would at least disagree on a couple of things that Pitino does but he doesn't get to act on it because he's the assistant. We could at least see a couple of those changes by allowing Conroy to finish.

Shooting 3’s is what we do. Pitino is NOT telling them not to shoot threes. It’s 2021, there is a shot worth 3, we are no better from 2 than we are from 3 and 3 is 3...33% is equal to 50% which we can’t do either. So, we shoot 3’s. Don’t care what he says to the media. He is not telling his players not to shoot threes.
How the heck would we score? We can’t finish at the rim. We have no post game because we can’t enter the ball. Drive and get to the line is cool but we aren’t good at it...we have too many turnovers or bad shots that lead to breakaways. The refs on a given night need to cooperate for that to be effective with our talent.
OK ... so he’s telling the guys to keep shooting 3s. Is he also telling the guys to continue to play bad defense? Nebraska has scored over 70 only 6 times in Big Ten play and one was a double overtime game.

If either of these are true he should be fired now too.

So it’s Conroy’s fault he can’t override a bad head coach... got it!

WTF

You've never seen a team play better for an interim coach after a dead coach walking was shown the door?
Certainly, I have also seen them quit. I’ve also seen them play worse. It’s not the act that creates the positive result. If it did, it’s proof the guys are devastated they got their coach fired. If, in this case the coach is floundering, then you need to replace him with a better coach. There is no evidence in Conroy's
tenure he is that.
Pitino is not messing up the showtime Lakers.
I see guys playing hard for Pitino or their team...however anybody wants to credit it.
The OB under to Johnson was nice. They show no evidence to me they are not listening to Richard.

Few took over after Monson left ... totally different situation.

Why even bring that up?

Up and Under hit it right on the head.
Coyle will handle this exactly the same way he handled the FB decision.

Season ends.
Coyle says "We will evaluate everything."
About a week later, Coyle calls press conference to announce Pitino will not return.
2 or 3 days later, Coyle calls press conference to introduce the new coach.

AT the press conference, Coyle will claim that no decisions were made until after the season. he will also claim that he had not been in contact with any coaching candidates until Pitino was fired. Which will be technically true - he is not in contact with the coaches directly, but with their representatives.

Bottom line - Coyle will line up "his guy" first before he officially pulls the plug on Pitino. But make no mistake, the coaching search process is already underway.

Top Bottom