After Nebraska loss, Will Pitino be Immediately Fired?

Will Coyle pull the Trigger?

• Yes

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 54 77.1%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
You all know its coming.

Will Pitino survive for the post-game or be fired during the flight home?

It will reflect badly if Pitino isn't given ample time to find his own exit (which I'm sure he is working on right now per Coyle's instruction).

Expiration date on his search is morning after his last game of this season.

Star Tribune and Shooter setting up a field cam to spot the placement of the "For Sale" sign in Pitino's lawn.

If there's a chance to make March Madness, and there will be, down to the bitter end (because, they could go on a run in the BT tourney, right?), I just don't see him getting fired until the fat lady is officially singing (after they aren't selected).

Do you think Ed Conroy would take the job? It is likely he will not be retained either........

Do you think Ed Conroy would take the job? It is likely he will not be retained either........

It would be nice if Pitino were fired right now and Conroy could at least have an audition for the job.

I voted "NO" to the question above because if he wasn't fired after the Northwestern debacle I don't know why he would be fired after another disaster at Nebraska.

It would be nice if Pitino were fired right now and Conroy could at least have an audition for the job.

I voted "NO" to the question above because if he wasn't fired after the Northwestern debacle I don't know why he would be fired after another disaster at Nebraska.

Agree. If they were going to pull the trigger on Pitino during the season it already would have happened. At this point it is pretty clear they will just let it play out till the end of the season.

It will reflect badly if Pitino isn't given ample time to find his own exit (which I'm sure he is working on right now per Coyle's instruction).

Expiration date on his search is morning after his last game of this season.
Wouldn’t surprise me at all if this is the case. And is a classy way to do it. Allows him to save face if he so chooses

It would be great to see Conroy get a few games. It's obvious the guys are not going to play hard for Pitino. He's lost the team. It would be a positive for all involved.

That only makes sense if Conroy would be a legit option for the full time job in the future. If he isn't then it doesn't do the team any good to put him in place and give the fans a chance to develop any sort of real attachment to the idea of him being the new coach.

For example, say they fire Pitino and the team goes on a mini run of success. The fans get excited about the idea of the interim coach becoming the permanent coach and it makes things more difficult for the AD.

If they didn't do it today, they're obviously going to let him twist until the season's over. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Yep. The nice wins over MI, IA, and OSU will save his job until the season is over.

That only makes sense if Conroy would be a legit option for the full time job in the future. If he isn't then it doesn't do the team any good to put him in place and give the fans a chance to develop any sort of real attachment to the idea of him being the new coach.

For example, say they fire Pitino and the team goes on a mini run of success. The fans get excited about the idea of the interim coach becoming the permanent coach and it makes things more difficult for the AD.
I don't think fans are that fickle. Was there a big "Jeff Horton for HC" movement because we beat Iowa? That game was still fun though, and we probably don't win it with Brew coaching out the string.

I don't think fans are that fickle. Was there a big "Jeff Horton for HC" movement because we beat Iowa? That game was still fun though, and we probably don't win it with Brew coaching out the string.
I agree ... I'm thinking more about the players. Doesn't seem like they'll fight for Pitino and Pitino knows it.

Maybe not, and it would take an extreme run by the team under the interim coach for anybody to get overly attached. Pretty clear with the current group that isn't going to happen.

Still, I think it would take a scandal or something else off the court to really get them to make a change during the season. Especially with no fans in the stands, they are not having to listen to the boo birds or suffer dwindling attendance numbers as the team continues to struggle.

Maybe not, and it would take an extreme run by the team under the interim coach for anybody to get overly attached. Pretty clear with the current group that isn't going to happen.

Still, I think it would take a scandal or something else off the court to really get them to make a change during the season. Especially with no fans in the stands, they are not having to listen to the boo birds or suffer dwindling attendance numbers as the team continues to struggle.
I mean, Steve Fisher got the Michigan job by going on a March run. If Conroy pulls a repeat by all means, he can have the job.

I agree, they're not going to make a move at this point. I wish they would, because it would remove the constant questions and the team might even play better. But it is what it is.

I want to change my vote. I voted they wouldn't fire him but with the way this game is going they should just do it now.

Maybe they will make a comeback but getting blown out by this crappy Nebraska team is a fitting way to cap the Pitnio era. Certainly isn't all his fault but this is embarrassing to watch at this point.

No rhythm, no flow, no defense, just pathetic.

8 seasons
54-94 big ten (.365)
14-60 big ten road (.190)
That’s my answer

The next coach isn't on the bench right now and wouldn't be before the end of this season. So what difference does it really make?

I keep asking this but we keep starting threads about why keep Pitino for the rest of the year.

When Claeys got us to Detroit at 5-7 we literally gave him the job for a year

I voted no, but we should just let PJ run the show the rest of the way along with Conroy for the Xs and Os.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if this is the case. And is a classy way to do it. Allows him to save face if he so chooses
Save face? With his conference record? With the play of this team for the past 6 weeks?

There is no face to save.

Top Bottom