After Nebraska loss, Will Pitino be Immediately Fired?

Will Coyle pull the Trigger?

• Yes

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 54 77.1%

• Total voters

So it’s Conroy’s fault he can’t override a bad head coach... got it!

WTF
No, it just shows he has nothing to offer as a head coach. It’s not his first year here. He has been here long enough to exert his gifts if he had any. Everybody wants to win. You gotta a better way...we’ll do it. Tell me Pitino wouldn’t pay a lot of money for answers to fix this team. If he had a coach with them ... he’d be listening.

Up and Under hit it right on the head.
Coyle will handle this exactly the same way he handled the FB decision.

Season ends.
Coyle says "We will evaluate everything."
About a week later, Coyle calls press conference to announce Pitino will not return.
2 or 3 days later, Coyle calls press conference to introduce the new coach.

AT the press conference, Coyle will claim that no decisions were made until after the season. he will also claim that he had not been in contact with any coaching candidates until Pitino was fired. Which will be technically true - he is not in contact with the coaches directly, but with their representatives.

Bottom line - Coyle will line up "his guy" first before he officially pulls the plug on Pitino. But make no mistake, the coaching search process is already underway.
I just read that Coyle and Pitino met yesterday....Richard probably knew he was gone today while coaching.

No, it just shows he has nothing to offer as a head coach. It’s not his first year here. He has been here long enough to exert his gifts if he had any. Everybody wants to win. You gotta a better way...we’ll do it. Tell me Pitino wouldn’t pay a lot of money for answers to fix this team. If he had a coach with them ... he’d be listening.
So what were Pitino’s and what were Conroy’s coaching influences on the team? Maybe Richard should be retained and Ed fired?

Wait, Richard is the boss, he makes the decisions ... shoot, logic again brings me back to the fact that firing Richard now and giving Ed a chance has no downside ... none.

Pitino is the head coach and has the final say on all things personnel and scheme related. I would think Conroy would at least disagree on a couple of things that Pitino does but he doesn't get to act on it because he's the assistant. We could at least see a couple of those changes by allowing Conroy to finish.
Seems plausible but I don’t see him leading us to great heights. We are quite flawed all around. Better to just fizzle away... clean house and begin anew.

So what were Pitino’s and what were Conroy’s coaching influences on the team? Maybe Richard should be retained and Ed fired?

Wait, Richard is the boss, he makes the decisions ... shoot, logic again brings me back to the fact that firing Richard now and giving Ed a chance has no downside ... none.
Likely none on the court but it does beyond that. And the upside gained is pretty tiny in my estimation.
I will defer to Coyle he knows the situation better than I do.
I won’t criticize Coyle if he agrees with you.
But, I don’t see the benefit.

Seems plausible but I don’t see him leading us to great heights. We are quite flawed all around. Better to just fizzle away... clean house and begin anew.
It’s not to try and salvage the season. Pitino lost that.

Give that kids a chance to have some fun. Playing for a lame duck has to really suck.

Pitino made millions. The kids have people calling them crappy basketball players. Maybe letting them have some fun and play free ... having to play for Pitino, they deserve it.

It’s not to try and salvage the season. Pitino lost that.

Give that kids a chance to have some fun. Playing for a lame duck has to really suck.

Pitino made millions. The kids have people calling them crappy basketball players. Maybe letting them have some fun and play free ... having to play for Pitino, they deserve it.
Or maybe they like him. Maybe they want to get healthy and try and save his job?
Losing sucks. Figure it out. Play harder. Make more plays, beat somebody and it’ll be fun because you know the misery of defeat.

Guys play hard for their teammates and for pride ... guys shooting 3s when told not to is telling their coach to F-off
If I were to guess, you never actually played basketball on an organized team, did you?

Pitino should have been fired at least 2 years ago.

Every day he remains the head coach only accomplishes one thing: pushing the day the Gophers are relevant again one day farther into the future.

JHC, fire his ass already.

If I were to guess, you never actually played basketball on an organized team, did you?
Yes I did ... for a coach who wasn’t very good ... loved my guys, but coach was a prick. Seeing many similarities to this team.

Yes I did ... for a coach who wasn’t very good ... loved my guys, but coach was a prick. Seeing many similarities to this team.
So you know quitters because you were one of them. Got it.

Coach was a quitter ... not the team ... good try, but totally wiff’d on that one
So, you quit on your coach because your coach was a quitter and you project that experience onto the Gopher basketball team. Got it.

So, you quit on your coach because your coach was a quitter and you project that experience onto the Gopher basketball team. Got it.
No, we didn’t quit and I don’t believe the Gopher players have quit. I watched the game and I saw guys playing hard.

I find it very convenient to accuse the players of quitting.

Read the coaches comments after the game ... my opinion is Pitino quit, not the players.

I didn't see players quitting in the last couple games.
I just think there's a lot of bad decision making.

It's just a lot of bad basketball that isn't fun to watch.

I didn't see players quitting in the last couple games.
I just think there's a lot of bad decision making.

Oh, I don't know that it isn't fun to watch. All you have to do is learn to expect the opposite of every rational basketball decision.

Where do you guys come up with these ideas? Conroy has been there for years...if he offered a contribution other than being a nice guy or Robbins uncle we would have seen evidence he can coach. We have not. Post defense is not our strong point. Feeding the post is not something we do well.

He is already in the first chair. If he had anything at all to offer we’d have seen it.
If he has ideas and can’t convince Richard of them...how will he convince the players?
Agree. In the last 3 to 4 weeks he has been standing court side trying to improve the teams focus. The team just refuses to take it to heart. Time for a change.

There are several options for when you have a bad coach:

Players can quit on the coach: This doesn't happen very often because players are competitors, they want to win. They may not be motivated by the coach and lose a little go juice, but when that ball rolls out they are going to compete. Look for players looking into the stands during timeouts, rolling their eyes at the coach's instructions or watching the cheerleaders. I've even seen teams huddle together after the coach leaves and have instructions among themselves. They quit on him not the game or the school.

Do what you want during the game: Run your own play, take the shots you want, call the defense you prefer, and basically coach yourself. I think the current team does this a lot!

Make suggestions to the coach: This only happens if you like the coach though. Call timeout for the coach. Suggest a play. A defense. My HS team used to do this for our "First Year" coach all the time. Of course he was only 6 years older than us! But Pitino I think got a little help in the first few years.

Just quit: There comes a time where a situation is so bad and it ain't getting any better. Players realize they aren't playing for the NBA or they can go elsewhere and get a free education.

Hard to say which aspect is on display with Pitino but I'm pretty sure we have seen 3 of these four methods of quitting on a coach this year.

The players are still trying to win however, like a boat without a rudder, it's harder.

As a few posters mentioned during the Northwestern game, it actually was sort of fun to watch at times in a perverse kind of way. Footage of the game could have been used in a comedic film about a bad basketball team. Granted, I probably wouldn't have thought it was funny if I had been holding on to hopes that this team could still make the NCAA tournament but the Northwestern game extinguished all hopes I had that this team would make ANY POSTSEASON. When that came, the feeling actually was one of relief because 1) I could stop hoping against the odds and 2) I knew it very likely was the end of Pitino.

As a few posters mentioned during the Northwestern game, it actually was sort of fun to watch at times in a perverse kind of way. Footage of the game could have been used in a comedic film about a bad basketball team. Granted, I probably wouldn't have thought it was funny if I had been holding on to hopes that this team could still make the NCAA tournament but the Northwestern game extinguished all hopes I had that this team would make ANY POSTSEASON. When that came, the feeling actually was one of relief because 1) I could stop hoping against the odds and 2) I knew it very likely was the end of Pitino.
It was the "before" montage in a Bad News Bears-style flick about basketball.

Top Bottom