#8 Minnesota vs #1 Michigan State game thread

this game was winnable, like i said HOW MANY GAMES CAN WE GO WITH THIS HORRIBLE 3 POINT SHOOTING, I CAN SHOOT BETTER

That's HORSECRAP. He is well known for making good adjustments at halftime and during TO.

FOT..I know you need to stick up for the man, but Izzo is outcoaching him badly in the 2nd half. Its not even close.

I love Tubby, but he still needs to figure out what this team can or can not do. Izzo knows about his team..and its showing right now.

yea we want hoff to prvide offense, he isnt moving fast anough.
Are you serious? Are you watching the game? He's been open 5-6 times and no one is getting him the ball. Even the commentator Musberger has said how open Hoff's been and they aren't getting him the ball.

this game was winnable, like i said HOW MANY GAMES CAN WE GO WITH THIS HORRIBLE 3 POINT SHOOTING, I CAN SHOOT BETTER

Quit overexagerating...no you can't. Settle down, you are embarassing yourself.

omfg, 12 in a row missed. next practice before ncaas i think we should practice the 3.?

Gophers have done almost everything right this game, except shoot the ball. Just as I say that, we hit one.

DJ with some bad luck on 3 almost and-ones in this half--unfortunately, he missed 4 of the FTs, so instead of maybe 6-9 pts, he turned it into 2.

With how close we are keeping this game I can't see us being hurt by this loss (if it happens) enough to take us out of the tourney. I can't see us not making it.

I think we were pretty safe no matter the outcome. Maybe if we got beaten by 30+ and the bubble shrank considerably there would be an issue.

Never say these Gopher Pups don't have some guts. Mich. State is one hell of a good team, and our guys played their hearts out. Problem is, 13 of 27 free throws killed us.

Overall, I'm not upset about today--they've got better talent. Gophers make a couple of 3s and they have a chance.

I was just mentioning that in another thread. Our team avg is 84% FT shooting. We make 22/23 of 27 and this game ends much differently.

I agree skoal. The better team won today and we made it a game. I can't wait until Sunday. Go Gophers!

Any recent examples?

He got his team to stop MSU from any more alley-oops after their 4th one in the first 5 minutes of the second half.....

This loss had nothing to do with bad coaching, it was bad shooting. We've come to expect that each game, but the bad free throw shooting is new. Hopefully MSU runs the table and gets a #1 seed in the tourney so this loss doesn't hurt.

He got his team to stop MSU from any more alley-oops after their 4th one in the first 5 minutes of the second half.....

This loss had nothing to do with bad coaching, it was bad shooting. We've come to expect that each game, but the bad free throw shooting is new. Hopefully MSU runs the table and gets a #1 seed in the tourney so this loss doesn't hurt.

Yes, sorry I missed that one, egg on face.

You are right, bad coaching wasn't the problem with this game, I just wish we'd see some better play coming out of the locker room once in a while.

The players have to execute better on offense!

As was mentioned earlier, Hoffarber did get open some today, but teammates didn't get him the ball. Somebody also questioned the overall basketball IQ of the team. I think that is on point. It's probably due to youth in some cases. The Gophers just haven't gotten open enough and when they do, the ball doesn't get in their hands often enough.

Case in points...

- All day MSU was hedging the high screens with the off-ball defender jumping out to help stop the ball aggressively. The resulted in a number of nice rolls by the picker, but the ball handler never identified the open man rolling to the basket and delivered the ball. MSU was so aggressive that the roll was open a lot, but they didn't execute the delivery once all game. Guys shouldn't need a coach to recognize this. MSU did it consistently and it just kept working.

- I also saw a number of times when the player moving to the post on a ball reversal was very late, i.e. the play timing was off. But then, just as he established the post, the wing play dribbled out of position (higher) and then didn't have a passing lane to feed the post. Then again, the times that they were in the right position, they still couldn't manage to execute the post feed. With the twin towers here for three more years, that something that the wing players MUST improve on! We can't just keep playing around the perimeter. Getting the ball inside, even if you just kick it back out makes the defense react and opens up opportunity.

- Too often we don't defend the pick-and-roll well. Suton got open for a wide open shot when both Gopher players followed the ball. You've got to communicate better. Are you switching or fighting through....call the picks...help out.

All that being said, the Gophers showed a lot of guts and hustle to stay in the game and the experience will help them as this program builds. We need some more talent and experience to consistently beat the top teams. The future is still bright.

Top Bottom